Sponsored

Insurance for Off Road Driving

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
A while back, @Kevin8086 and Britney talked about auto insurance for off road driving. They called out Pheonix Insurance, a broker out of Dallas. I finally got around to giving them a call and worked with Jared Rains who was able to price insurance from SafeCo for me. The policy has no off road driving exemption so I'm covered if there is damage to my JLU when taking the trails. My mods are also covered up to a value of $5000. The cost of insurance was initially significantly higher but not horribly so. However, by paying 6mo coverage up front, I was able to get to cost down closer to about $6 over my current premium.

I also priced my home owners insurance and ended up saving money while more than doubling my coverage. One of the things that made me look into this insurance was the low replacement cost coverage from my current policy. Now I feel my ass is properly covered for my Jeeps and my home.

Jared did a great job of answering my questions. I was a licensed agent at one time so I'm at least a little informed on the subject. I also got a quote from USAA which didn't come close.

Of note, SafeCo has a driving habit app for my phone. I'm getting a 10% discount for using it for 90 days. My rate doesn't go up if I'm an unsafe driver but instead goes down if I'm a good diver over the next 90 days. Of course, I drive a Jeep. It's not exactly a fast vehicle to begin with.

So it's worth checking out if you're in state that they are licensed for. Thanks for the heads up Kevin..

Here is the Youtube vid in question. Kevin and Britney say they didn't get paid for making the vid.
Sponsored

Jeffzjeep

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 j/K rubi.
Great post, many don’t know that some policies exclude off road use but some like Safeco do not state an exclusion so it is included.
I own an independent agency going for almost 30 yrs located in Colorado but licensed in many states appointed with many different companies including Safeco.
@Sgt Beavis good you found someone to offer the right coverage, education and service are huge when it comes to insurance which sadly is not always the case.

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
I live in fear of trying to explain an in the woods rollover and thankfully have avoided it thus far. Has me wondering if there are any exclusions etc. on my existing policy and how far I could stretch a location description: “ unimproved roadway near... in the area of...”

Jeffzjeep

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 j/K rubi.
I live in fear of trying to explain an in the woods rollover and thankfully have avoided it thus far. Has me wondering if there are any exclusions etc. on my existing policy and how far I could stretch a location description: “ unimproved roadway near... in the area of...”
I have been an off roader all my life plus we do some vintage car Rallyes so my agency is based on and specializes in “coverage for your toys”. That being said over the years my customers have had many off road claims and went off without issue. You should have no worries if your policy is written correctly based on use of your vehicle. Be upfront with your agent an ask, if off road excluded move to a different carrier.
Sponsored