Intake/Exhaust with a Tune

Abehneyg

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT
I have a 2020 Rubicon with a custom exhaust (cut the whole thing out and put on a little chambered muffler and piped it out to the same exit as stock) and the K&N CAI with a closed box. I'm debating between getting a custom tune for about 800 bucks or going for a supercharger for about 8 grand. I'm not looking to go racing, I'm just looking for enough power to stop getting smoked by camrys getting on the freeway. I'm just asking if anyone has any insight here as to whether a tune can give a decent power increase with an intake and exhaust or if the best option is really the supercharger.
Sponsored

Sublime

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gecko Green 2021 Sport S
Pretty sure it would be a waste to get a custom tune with just a CAI and modified exhaust. Not really power adders. At least not noticeable. $800 would be a waste IMO. If you really want the power to do what your trying to do the super charger or a Hemi swap and tune.

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Or you could just accept the fact that its a 2½T truck with a small(ish) V6 that wasn't designed for acceleration, and get on with life.
Use the 8 grand to buy an old V8 clunker, put in a LSD w/ 4.11 gears, then go chasing Camrys.

Kevin

Sponsored

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
A tune is great for a motor that has forced induction. On an N/A motor paired to a heavy vehicle the gains are negligible and not worth the costs involved. Most performance tunes also require the use of 93 octane, keep that in mind.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
you can pick up damn near 30+ lb/ft right in the middle of your RPM band on 87 octane with just a tune on an otherwise stock vehicle. Its over 50lb/ft on premium fuel or corn.

And that's before you add an intake or an exhaust..... The factory tune on these trucks is atrocious across the board- throttle mapping, ignition mapping, manifold mapping, fuel mapping are all terrible.

You can make those changes along with gears and the truck will drive much better...although, you'll probably still get smoked by Camerys

Last edited:

cannonFodder

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Or you could just accept the fact that its a 2½T truck with a small(ish) V6 that wasn't designed for acceleration, and get on with life.
Use the 8 grand to buy an old V8 clunker, put in a LSD w/ 4.11 gears, then go chasing Camrys.

Kevin

This is the kind of attitude that makes me wonder what you think is kosher to modify? Like, for example - should I accept that it's a 2 1/2T truck and the factory height, axles and tires weren't designed for off-road use, or am I cool to modify those things?

Jesus, this is absolutely a garbage take.
Sponsored