First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020JT
Occupation
Engineer
2020 JTR, 63K+ miles, 50% highway miles, quarterly minor off-road trips. All dealer maintenance (still due the 60K fluid changes) (Great reliable vehicle)

The Rear Axle Lock light on the upper left of my dash has been coming on sometimes solid, sometimes flashing.

It appears as if I attempted to engage the Rear Axle Lock, but I have not. When I press the Rear Axle Lock Off button there is no change, i.e. the light remains solid or flashing whichever it was before pushing the Off button.

Anyone else experience this? What is the fix?
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
There has been a known problem of the locking position sensor getting oil intrusion into it causing problems of showing a lock condition and/or a Service Axle Locker Light.

Thread below discusses it somewhat with some fixes from the JL side of removing and potting the sensor with sealant.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ing-automatically-and-unable-to-unlock.30326/

Dealership for the longest time would replace the whole axle assembly but since you are out of warranty, that probably would not be too enticing on your dime.

OP
OP
JAPE

JAPE

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020JT
Occupation
Engineer
Another item which may be important the Auto Stop Start battery died a few weeks ago. I have not replaced the battery since I am not a fan of the Auto Stop Start feature. Could this be causing the Intermittent Rear Axle Lock light behavior?

OP
OP
JAPE

JAPE

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020JT
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you for the links... So it looks like I need to either replace the sensor or install the Z Locker which would be a less expensive band-aid fix.

Sponsored

zuki_dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 miata & cherokee, 06 ram 2500, 15 mustang,
Occupation
Aircraft Examiner
I believe the dealership can now replace just the sensor instead of the whole axle. The z locker harness is still cheaper though and plug and play.

You probably shouldn't pot the sensor after it already has oil intrusion. I potted mine per the JL forum instructions when doing my gear swap.

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I believe the dealership can now replace just the sensor instead of the whole axle. The z locker harness is still cheaper though and plug and play.

Any idea what the cost of the sensor is? I am contemplating getting the sensor or Z harness to have on hand if one goes bad. obviously the Z harness would be better in case it happens while our driving.
I should just pot them but I do not like the idea of drilling holes in them.

zuki_dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 miata & cherokee, 06 ram 2500, 15 mustang,
Occupation
Aircraft Examiner
Any idea what the cost of the sensor is? I am contemplating getting the sensor or Z harness to have on hand if one goes bad. obviously the Z harness would be better in case it happens while our driving.
I should just pot them but I do not like the idea of drilling holes in them.

I believe I saw in one of the other threads on this problem and they said the sensor was around $300.

Drilling and potting the sensor is not hard. I used tape on a the drill bit as a drill stop to keep from drilling too deep.

The z locker harness completely takes the sensor out of the system. It just uses the voltage to the locker to tell the computer it is engaged.

This thread I believe.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ssue-repair-kit-fix-released-for-jt-jl.55502/

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I believe I saw in one of the other threads on this problem and they said the sensor was around $300.

Drilling and potting the sensor is not hard. I used tape on a the drill bit as a drill stop to keep from drilling too deep.

The z locker harness completely takes the sensor out of the system. It just uses the voltage to the locker to tell the computer it is engaged.

This thread I believe.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ssue-repair-kit-fix-released-for-jt-jl.55502/
I have read the thread on the Z locker harness and potting, just had not seen the price for a new sensor. At $300, I might just try the potting. I should be taking it to my Indy shop soon for some other work, so I might ask him how much he would charge.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
New sensor is just over $300.00. If you pot the sensor. Figure about 8 hours for the potting to set up and get hard.

Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
New sensor is just over $300.00. If you pot the sensor. Figure about 8 hours for the potting to set up and get hard.
So an hour or two to do the work and the rest so drying. Not terrible.

vst

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Hey everyone my Jeep just started having the same locker issue can I just use the z automotive kit if I’m already having the issue or do I need to fix the sensor then run the z automotive kit? Thanks

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Hey everyone my Jeep just started having the same locker issue can I just use the z automotive kit if I’m already having the issue or do I need to fix the sensor then run the z automotive kit? Thanks
The Z kit will help you.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Others that had this issue waited too long and after a bunch of flashed lights the system reports a failure and disables the locker they reported. Mine went at 90 miles,I had seen the thread so basically parked the truck until it came in, easy for me as I have a company truck for work. The Z fix has worked fine for 23,000 miles and I am not sure I will get a new sensor or not….Jack
Sponsored

Reactions: vst