First Name
El Gis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Sales
my jeep has a built in wifi with a plan.

Curious if anyone knows if there is a way to use the wifi hot spot without keeping the car on. It seems like it defeats the purpose if i have to keep the vehicle on and i'm pulled over or camping
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
It is intended to provide WiFi for the passengers while driving. They didn't provide a method for continuous use while parked, since that will drain the battery. You should be able to put the truck in ACC mode and use it, but it will time-out and turn off after about 30 minutes.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you buy the plan or does it come with it for a certain amount of time?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you buy the plan or does it come with it for a certain amount of time?
It has to be paid for, no trial period. Most of the available smartphones offer the same service, usually as part of the monthly plan already being paid for.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It has to be paid for, no trial period. Most of the available smartphones offer the same service, usually as part of the monthly plan already being paid for.
Just curious. We had a period of free service with my wife's car. We found that it was much slower than using a phone as a hot spot for things like iPads.

Sponsored

IamPro2A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 YJ, '07 Ram, '16 JK, '21 Sport S Max Tow
Just curious. We had a period of free service with my wife's car. We found that it was much slower than using a phone as a hot spot for things like iPads.
I think when I bought mine, ATT offered a free trial for like 1-3 months.

OP
OP

TheRealElGis

First Name
El Gis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Sales
It is intended to provide WiFi for the passengers while driving. They didn't provide a method for continuous use while parked, since that will drain the battery. You should be able to put the truck in ACC mode and use it, but it will time-out and turn off after about 30 minutes.

yea thats what i was doing. Just thought i may have been missing something.

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
Pro Tip: Press once for ACC, set a timer for 25 minutes, and then press it again to go to on. Gets you close to an hour without running the engine. Just make sure you have a/c and everything else turned off. I use it when tailgating to stream games on a smart tv.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
The purpose is to avoid using your data plan, for you and passengers, while driving. During COVID we did a road trip and used it for remote learning video and it worked great.

I will probably cancel it though.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The purpose is to avoid using your data plan, for you and passengers, while driving. During COVID we did a road trip and used it for remote learning video and it worked great.

I will probably cancel it though.
That was the nice thing about my wife's car. There was no data limit, so we didn't eat up data on our phones. And with our usage, its not worth it to upgrade to an unlimited plan.

The only problem was it was agonizingly slow. I'm sure the modems on these are better. (My wife's car is a 2015.5). Here might even be 3g.

Sponsored

IrishRob

First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired
It's a 4g modem, but I haven't done a speed test. We don't pay for unlimited on our phones because we're almost always within WiFi of something. But driving, when I'm using something like Waze that's streaming continuously for hours, having unlimited ATT is the right thing for us. $200/yr. The free trial was 1GB, not time based. I used that in a single trip from Phoenix to Kanab UT.

downtroddengoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2013 Outback
Occupation
Doing Goat things.
If I enable the in car wifi and the connect my android phone to the wifi, do I get wireless android auto? I keep meaning to test this out, but seem to always forget when I have the time to play around with it.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If I enable the in car wifi and the connect my android phone to the wifi, do I get wireless android auto? I keep meaning to test this out, but seem to always forget when I have the time to play around with it.
The USB cable has to be connected for Android Auto to work, but the Map program should use the WiFi from the hotspot instead of the phone data plan.

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, 2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
If you want wireless Android Auto, this is what you need.

I ordered this wireless Android Auto dongle in March. I forgot about it until it arrived yesterday. Good news! It works!
https://igg.me/at/aawireless/x/16383116#/

downtroddengoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave; 2013 Outback
Occupation
Doing Goat things.
Thanks guys. I went digging. Even with the wifi....native wireless android auto nwont be supported until uconnect 5. Doh. Guess it is a dongle if I don't want to plug it in.
Sponsored