Sponsored

Intro - Decisions and Waiting...

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
Hello at last! I've been lurking on the forum for a little while now and finally opened an account to flush out my last open questions/decisions for a factory order in the hopefully not to distant future. Want to make sure I put together the best package for my needs for a purchase that my family will be happy with for the long haul.

After test driving a few different spec Gladiators (and other competitors), I believe I have settled on a Gladiator to replace my current stable of two vehicles with one (currently have a GTI for getting around and a beater truck for home improvement / winter beater). Need something that can accommodate two rear facing car seats (this more or less eliminates the other 'mid-sized' truck offerings) and still want a truck bed for my hobbies and side gigs. I do not have a lot of hard core off-roading needs being in Ohio (off roading would really be limited to hunting and related farm trails) but will want something setup for winter driving when the weather is at its worst for ski trips and such. Had other trucks in the not too distant past (Silverado and F150) and have decided that I do not really want to deal with going back to daily driving a full sized truck in a mixed urban environment, parking garages, etc., and while I acknowledge the rear space of the full size crew cabs really is the best option for family duties, the Gladiator seems to be a good enough compromise and adds a 'fun' factor that is in a class of its own.

Now on to options. When I initially started looking last summer/fall, I test drove a Freedom Max Tow, and if circumstances were different back then, I would already have one of those in my driveway. I hope that particular special edition comes back (anyone hear any chatter on a new Freedom Package announcement?), but if not, I still like the Sport S Max Tow and also recently drove a Mojave. My thoughts on the Mojave are mixed - I like the stance and the aesthetics, but do not really need desert rated shocks, etc. for my needs, and not sure the tradeoff of the extra costs are worth it for me in light of the diminished capabilities (towing/payload) and I would really get more benefit out of an lsd over the manual locker. While I do think the stock Max Tow tires are a bit small-ish, the price saved and features gained on that package seems to leave open the ability to swap those out for something better .

For powertrain, the 3.6 gas is fine, if not slightly underwhelming (coming from my current GTI, and my 5.0 F150 before that, the extra giddy-up would be missed). From what I have read, there seems to be a pretty polarizing love/hate on the diesel option and my use case doesn't seem to match up with its pros (aside from my love of low down torque...) with my daily drives being mostly short distance surface streets and I also do not like that the diesel cannot be had with the Selec-trac transfer case. I think I will be fine with the 3.6. I imagine even if a v8 is ever offered it would only be the 392 and thus well outside my comfortable spending limits, and I don't see the rumored 3.0l inline 6 trickling down into the Gladiator chassis for years (similar with the 4xe offering, not that I am really interested in that drivetrain type for various reasons).

Been watching some of the leaks on potential upcoming special editions, so patiently waiting to see what is at the Easter Safari and other more formal announcements. Also, very interested in the Earl Grey color release (hence part of the meaning in the Username - bonus points if you can ID the other sources), but of course the local dealer was clueless, just hoping that is not some end of year thing.

General questions for the forum to start:

- Anyone else debate between the Max Tow and Mojave, and which way did you go and why?
- Any honest reports back on how two rear facing car seats work in the Gladiator?
- For those who 'downgraded' on power when going to a Gladiator, how much have you missed some extra giddy-up or do the other intangibles /drive characteristics make up for it?
- For special ordering, has anyone placed an order at a mid-Ohio dealer and how did they compare pricewise and process to Gupton or the other recommended out-of-state options noted on the forum?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
First, welcome to the fun. Driving the Gladiator vs. a full size truck is so much better in those denser urban environments. I hated driving my Tundra in a parking garage.

On the Max Tow vs. Mojave debate, I wrestled with that for awhile. Both had the gearing I wanted but at the end of the day decided that the extra load capacity would be a greater benefit over time than the rear locker. And if I ever really needed the locker it can be added. But I won't lie - I get a little pang every time I see a Mojave.

For tire size on the Max Tow, yes they're too small for the truck. But Rubicon/Mojave take off sets are pretty easy to find and are a simple swap. I found Rubicon wheels w/ the OEM Falken tires locally for $1000.

Like you said, you can use that extra cash for exactly what you want on the truck - and remind yourself you made a good choice by not spending all the money on a Mojave. ;)

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
An Overland will provide a nicer ride, a Max Tow provides best capacity for hauling and towing. Figure out which is best for your needs, and then order it loaded up with all the options. I drive a lot for work, and went with a loaded Overland. No regrets after 30k miles.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
An Overland will provide a nicer ride, a Max Tow provides best capacity for hauling and towing. Figure out which is best for your needs, and then order it loaded up with all the options. I drive a lot for work, and went with a loaded Overland. No regrets after 30k miles.
Max Tow option is only available on Sport trim too

Sponsored

Challenger85

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Electrical
Mojave > Max Tow. But I don’t tow so I wanted the cooler truck.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Welcome!

To answer your questions (In blue):

- Anyone else debate between the Max Tow and Mojave, and which way did you go and why?

I didn’t consider the Mojave because it was out of my price range. If I had, I probably would’ve opted for it though. Rear locker, looks the best of all trims, best factory shocks in the midsize truck market, and the enhanced frame. I don’t tow but I got the Max Tow for the 4.10 gears and wider axles. Mojave has both and more (just not more towing capacity).

- Any honest reports back on how two rear facing car seats work in the Gladiator?

Baby seats I’m assuming? I’m not sure but I think there’s a thread about the subject.

- For those who 'downgraded' on power when going to a Gladiator, how much have you missed some extra giddy-up or do the other intangibles /drive characteristics make up for it?

I had a 5.7L Hemi in my old Charger (370 hp). It wasn’t very fast anyway, but I miss the V8 sound more than anything. It did have what I call “jail time power” so it was probably for the best lol. If you live in the mountains then I could see the 3.6L being sluggish for someone though - mainly if you pass a lot. I can’t speak on the models with 3.73 gearing, but mine does just fine in flat Texas. I didn’t have any issues passing on my trip to North Carolina either. In summary, if I’m going 65 mph and want to pass, I have zero issues. The ZF 8 speed transmission gets you going very well.

The powertrain option I really want isn’t offered and never will be (5.7L Hemi). That being said, everything else the JT has to offer makes up for it.

- For special ordering, has anyone placed an order at a mid-Ohio dealer and how did they compare pricewise and process to Gupton or the other recommended out-of-state options noted on the forum?

I don’t have any experience on this one, sorry.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Max tow comes with LSD, so with BLD its like the Gladiator as an electronic locker.

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
First off, welcome to the forum. I can only answer your 2nd and 3rd questions. As for two car seats in the back, I have one forward facing and one rear facing. There is plenty of room back there. We have the seats on both sides and it still leaves enough space for someone to sit in between the car seats in the middle seat. We’ve done that a few times with a grandparent or in-law and they’ve been comfortable but I wouldn’t recommend it if you we’re driving cross country. As for your third question, I was coming from a 5.0 Mustang, and a 5.7 RAM 1500 before that. I’d had a wrangler before so my expectations weren’t high, I got the JT for other reasons. Yet, I was still a little disappointed with how sluggish it was. I added a throttle controller and that totally relieved the issue for me. Best of luck on your purchase and post up some pics once you buy it!

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
Sold a 2017 GTI (manual transmission) to purchase a Rubicon JT (automatic). Yeah, the giddy-up on the JT is dismal in comparison. So is its braking and cornering ability. Don't even ask about MPG. Maintaining 80mph on the interstate is a competition between how much noise can the engine make vs the wind vs how fast can it drink all the gas. If I need to get going I stomp on the go button and it get's going well enough. May sound like the engine's about to explode but it hasn't yet. Never going to beat anything from a stop or a rolling start.

That being said I find the JT so much more fun to drive. I can't explain why because on the street it's way worse at everything.

When you open up the roof or take the doors off...there's no comparison at all to any other vehicle (other than jeeps obviously). There's a lack of places to off-road here unless you really like mud so I haven't really done much of that but the GTI would scrape on driveways and I had to steer around puddles.

Sponsored

OP
OP
The Duck of Earl

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
... But I won't lie - I get a little pang every time I see a Mojave. ...
Haha. I appreciate the honesty, and while I expect I will end up with the Max Tow (and be happy) - I worry about the same thoughts...

OP
OP
The Duck of Earl

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
The powertrain option I really want isn’t offered and never will be (5.7L Hemi). That being said, everything else the JT has to offer makes up for it.
I agree on that powertrain desire to be sure. That said, I appreciate that you find the other aspects to make up for it, and I am sure I will feel the same.

OP
OP
The Duck of Earl

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
Mojave > Max Tow. But I don’t tow so I wanted the cooler truck.
Agree, cooler truck for sure. And I am torn since I don't tow too often (but renting a different tow vehicle for when I do, is a PITA). The cost difference seems to be enough to keep me thinking.

OP
OP
The Duck of Earl

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
As for two car seats in the back, I have one forward facing and one rear facing. There is plenty of room back there. We have the seats on both sides and it still leaves enough space for someone to sit in between the car seats in the middle seat.

... also ...

I added a throttle controller and that totally relieved the issue for me.
Thank you for the experiences. Both of the above are very helpful.

While I brought one car seat to try at a dealership, didn't have two, nor able to try and fit someone in the middle.

On the throttle controller - I am seeing a few options out there, and plan to add one now, which one did you use?

OP
OP
The Duck of Earl

The Duck of Earl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In flux
Max tow comes with LSD, so with BLD its like the Gladiator as an electronic locker.
That sounds like plenty for me. And I do like that the LSD will provide some extra benefits on road, opposed to full manual locker.
Sponsored