First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Was taking a peek at the brakes while washing the JTR today and noticed that the contact of rear caliper/pad to rotor did not look right. Took a peek at the opposing side and then noticed that it was even more irregular.

Front rotors appear to have full contact, but why are the rears not making full contact PLUS different from RR to LR? See pictures below. Took it up to the pharmacy after a wash and it still brakes just as I would expect.

A88558AE-7E0B-451E-B658-1F33A0EB0631.jpeg
75F75B3B-ADF1-4F48-BB71-808AE9CC4C4A.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
Stuck caliper.

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
Stuck caliper.
Well thatā€™s a bummer! Especially on something that has <7k miles on it with no heavy off-roading. Just some sandy trails here in the panhandle and a trip in north Georgia my company car could get through.

Is anyone else having this issue? Iā€™ve had it happen in some high performance cars under high stress situations in the past, but some lazy Jeep driving? Thatā€™s no bueno.

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
How long did it sit before you drove it?
Iā€™d say it gets driven once every two days on average. That ā€œdriveā€ ranges from pulling up some shrubs in the yard to a trip to the store, but brakes being used regardless.

I noticed it a few days back but only snapped the pictures yesterday. Itā€™s probably had 50 or so miles on it since I noticed it.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I agree on the stuck caliper statement but it is weird that both sides are doing it. I would push for a warranty fix even though brakes are considered a wear item.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
Two stuck rotors would be unusual with such low mileage, and surface rust doesnā€™t take long to form on rotors when it is damp. I would take it to a long straight road and do some emergency stopping to see if the rust gets worn off fairly quickly.

Walldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Pads are not in correct contact with rotor's take it to the dealer and have them pull the rear wheels and check the pad position in the caliper's. Shiny bands on rotor is where the pad is contacting and the rust band is not contacting the pad. The pad cleans the surface rust off the rotor.

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
I'm heading in for my first oil change and tire rotation in a couple hours. Having them look at the rear brakes to see what's going on. I mean, the truck has been off road, but some super mild stuff that I put the lockers on and all just to say I pushed the buttons at this point. Truck has been doing much more truck duty than Jeep. I've had a lot of Jeeps over the years with a lot of stuff from a cherry XJ to a stretched one-ton coilover monster. I've never once had calipers get stuck, so I really can't see how this is a result of anything off road that I've done. I mean it's built to do Jeep things, right? We'll find out soon enough!

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
The skinny of the story is that my calipers were full of sand. Not overly happy about that considering I havenā€™t done any extreme wheeling; never been stuck or anything close to it. Iā€™ve definitely been on some sand, but Iā€™m in Florida; of course! Not really sure what this will mean in the long haul if my brakes with <7k miles are loading up.

Negatives aside, super happy with my service department. I drive an hour to get to them to avoid the one here in town. Theyā€™re replacing calipers, pads, rotors, and the works under warranty. Rotors and pads fall under a 12k warranty and calipers a part of the 36k. I would fully anticipate most dealers to chalk it up under neglect, but they offered to do it all without a word from me. Iā€™ve gotta say, might be the first good dealer with any brand Iā€™ve encountered...

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
The skinny of the story is that my calipers were full of sand. Not overly happy about that considering I havenā€™t done any extreme wheeling; never been stuck or anything close to it. Iā€™ve definitely been on some sand, but Iā€™m in Florida; of course! Not really sure what this will mean in the long haul if my brakes with <7k miles are loading up.

Negatives aside, super happy with my service department. I drive an hour to get to them to avoid the one here in town. Theyā€™re replacing calipers, pads, rotors, and the works under warranty. Rotors and pads fall under a 12k warranty and calipers a part of the 36k. I would fully anticipate most dealers to chalk it up under neglect, but they offered to do it all without a word from me. Iā€™ve gotta say, might be the first good dealer with any brand Iā€™ve encountered...
Find out where the sand was packing in . Maybe just got in the slides so you know you need to keep them cleaned out after trips to the beach. Or maybe just between the caliper and the pad so they are not sitting flat. Unfortunate if you need to do a brake tear down to clean, but at least you will know.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah, your servicing dealer did you a solid in covering that.

OP
OP
spazzyfry123

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ME
Yeah, your servicing dealer did you a solid in covering that.
Glad to hear your dealer is stepping up and taking care of you.
Itā€™s a very welcomed change to what Iā€™m used to. Definitely bringing in some cash to buy the guys lunch when the parts come in.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Itā€™s a very welcomed change to what Iā€™m used to. Definitely bringing in some cash to buy the guys lunch when the parts come in.
Itā€™s good to hear of some good dealerships out there. Maybe it will spread.
Sponsored