Is 7.0” touchscreen worth it?

MPV

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 GC
Considering a Sports S with base 5.0 screen. The 7.0” upgrade $995 also forces the ‘convenience pkg’ for $595. For a total $1590... That’s enough for wheels/tires.

I basically only steam music and maps via my iPhone. What else am I missing by not upgrading???
Sponsored

sass JT

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
MWD
There’s aftermarket solutions coming along. Metra has gotten a new dash kit out. I’m unsure price, you would have to go to a dealer and price out a radio you like and see how much it is for a total.

DougM55

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
I thought it was worth it. The 7” is a nice radio. Plus I use my remote start everyday as well as the Homelink gate and garage door opener.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
with the 7" screen you also get the nicer screen in your gauge cluster. Definitely worth the price IMO since you control so many options on the 7" screen

Sponsored

Scott_in_NH

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S picked up 1/21/20, 1974 Porsche 914, 2019 Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe, 1978 Glastron-Carlson CVZ18, 1999 Ski-Doo MX Z 500, girlfriend drives 2008 Liberty. Past Jeeps: 90 XJ 2dr. 5-speed, 2000 XJ Limited 4dr. auto, Mom's 81 Grand Wagoneer
Yes it is one of the options I wanted that made it worth ordering rather than buying what they had on the lot!

The bigger screen in general, but especially when using the back up camera, and Apple Car-Play.

With Apple Car-Play, I plug my phone into the USB in the center console and close my phone in it - I do not need to see or touch it and I can use Waze, stream or play my music, make phone calls, etc.

I didn't need the remote start or garage door opener, but I use and like both a lot.

Mikegcny

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Willys 4xe
Occupation
Software Architect
I have it in my truck and I think it is worth it. I love having the map and apps on my phone (Android Auto) available on the screen in car. I also don't like the way any of the aftermarket screens look in the truck. I tend to like things looking OEM or as close as they can be. In the video above the Pioneer bezel does not match the Jeep interior and looks terrible to me.

This being said, if I were going to put an upgraded audio system in the truck, I do not know which I would go with.

Like_coffee

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
What put me over the edge when deciding on a package was the knobs. Originally, I said to myself if I wanted the 7" screen, I would add it later. I then found out that the smallest radio has integrated volume and tuner knobs. If you add the oem 7" screen later, you no longer have physical knobs to turn. From the factory, the 7" and 8.4" models have the knobs integrated in the control cluster UNDER the radio near the climate controls. It then became a required option for me. I have the 7" screen and don't regret it at all.

There are aftermarket solutions that look decent like the Alpine X409, but that's $3k. Not saving going that route.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that everything in the interior was expected to handle mild exposure to the element in the event you get caught in a shower without the top. Will the after market solutions be built to withstand some rain?
Sponsored