Sponsored

Is it me, or does the JT really struggle...

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Shoulda got the EcoD! Mine accelerates up hill and doesn’t leave 8th gear
My eco diesel has been nothing but problems since the DPF clogged up and it went into limp mode for Exhaust System failure" MPG went from 25 to 15 and going up hills mine surges and goes on the brink of overheating with oil temps of 268, coolant temps of 252. Dealer no help and doesn't have a clue

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
My eco diesel has been nothing but problems since the DPF clogged up and it went into limp mode for Exhaust System failure" MPG went from 25 to 15 and going up hills mine surges and goes on the brink of overheating with oil temps of 268, coolant temps of 252. Dealer no help and doesn't have a clue
1st of all, very sorry to hear this, major drag getting one of the coolest vehicles out there only to have problems with it. This was my hesitation with the diesel, not as much as, I have “0” ability to work on diesel motors. The record of dependability with the gas motors was a selling point. I hope you your issues resolved and the JT proves to be a dependable fun vehicle for you. And as always, I hope to meet you on the trail at some point.

Phishs

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JTM, 21 JTR (traded)
I live in the hills of TN and don’t have this issue. Has plenty of power for me. It has similar power that my Tacoma had. I don’t expect V8 power in a mid size.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
I live in the hills of TN and don’t have this issue. Has plenty of power for me. It has similar power that my Tacoma had. I don’t expect V8 power in a mid size.
Well like I said, I was so pleased with the power, performance and MPG for the 1st 8000 miles. But since it broke down when the DPF clogged, it's been a true lemon. Dealer blames it on the motor which he claims has all kinds of issues they can't find or fix. Two dealers told me the same thing now. One dealer told me half the diesel JTs they sold are problem Jeeps but not so much with diesel JLs. Why would there be a difference?

Sponsored

MyRight

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom, 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
I'm completely happy with the power for this 3.6L. It's very comparable to the 4.0L in my Grand Cherokee.
Certainly plenty of power for anything I need it for. I was just demonstrating to my wife how well it gets up and goes, even at road speed when needing to pass. I've towed my 5x10 cargo trailer and barely know it's back there. Sure, it's no v8, but I think it's the perfect powerplant for the JT.

quantumleap39

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 hummer, 1987 firebird, 1929 Mercedes
You never owned a Jeep before? These things are race cars compared to the stuff from the 80’s and 90’s.
Wait a min lol lol, I owned an 87 and a 89 wrangler and could smoke the tires when I popped the clutch lol lol lol

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
Wish that I could use the Off-road + function when in 2WD, that really wakes up the engine with its different engine mapping.

On our Grand Cherokee with the same 3.6, Sport mode works really well on it.

I'm thinking Jeep don't want overheating issues or something on our Gladiators for everyday driving.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Wait a min lol lol, I owned an 87 and a 89 wrangler and could smoke the tires when I popped the clutch lol lol lol
My 87 Comanche was no slouch, either.

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Must have been the 4 litre?
My 85 Cherokee Chief was a slug with the 2.5 Hurricane 5 speed.
Yup. And my 82 SX4 has a 94 ZJ 4.0 and will spin the tires in first and give a "squawk" in 2nd gear. (and that's with the stock 2.78 ratio)

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Must have been the 4 litre?
My 85 Cherokee Chief was a slug with the 2.5 Hurricane 5 speed.
I had 85, 87, 89 and 92 Comanche's and Cherokees. The 4.0 HO motor came into existence I think in 92 and they were great. The standard 4.0 before that was only marginally better then the 258.

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
...going up hills. I swear, I could be driving it empty and it still drops the mpgs and sounds like it struggles even up small grades. Today I drove it up a park road (pavement) ranging from 9-11 degrees and it dropped all the way down to 2nd gear.

On highways, any hill requires pretty good gas pedal depression to maintain speed. I can IMMEDIATELY feel when there is even a slight slope because the Jeep will slow down in 2 seconds.

ETA: paved road hills. Off road it is great!
Did you have the rev's up, you have to keep the machine in its powerband?

Trickster

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT HA, 22 Volvo V60 CC, 76 Fiat 124,
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I had 85, 87, 89 and 92 Comanche's and Cherokees. The 4.0 HO motor came into existence I think in 92 and they were great. The standard 4.0 before that was only marginally better then the 258.
Wasn’t there a GM sourced V6 too in that era, 2.8 I believe?
Man, that’s a long time ago……..

MyRight

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom, 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Wasn’t there a GM sourced V6 too in that era, 2.8 I believe?
Man, that’s a long time ago……..
Yeah, my father had one in his S-10. That thing was a pooch. Even with a manual transmission, it was so sluggish, could have sworn there was a 4 cylinder under the hood.
Sponsored