Sponsored

Is LED package worth it? OEM vs Oracle output?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HI all,

As the date for 2022 MY orders approaches, I'm getting my final details lined up in how I want it configured.

one open item is whether to spring for the OEM LED option or to just buy all the stuff aftermarket. I might be able to save a few bucks since I have no interest in upgrading the fogs since IMHO fogs are useless. LED,, incandescent, it doesn't matter.
So we'd be talking about

Headlights, tail lights, and turn signals.

Any 1st hand observations of headlight output are appreciated.

OEM vs Oracle Oculus($589) vs Oracle Hi Power ($389)

Are Oracles better than OEM LED?

Are the $589 Oracles much better than the $389 Oracles?

Thanks,

Don
Sponsored

OP
OP
dcmdon

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was leaning towards the factory lights as it is.

What might sway me is if someone said the Oracle Oculus lights are WAY better than factory LEDs.

Sponsored

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
If you guys think the factory LED fogs are good, I HIGHLY recommend you look into Diode Dynamics SS3 Pros. They SMOKE the factory fogs, and get great side coverage for ditches/campsites.

As far as headlights, both OEM and Oracle are great, I prefer the look of OEM though. The "eye" of the oracles are a bit too much for me. There's also the issue of the "green hue" that the oracle headlight DRL's were suffering from for quite some time, not sure if they ever actually admitted to their issue and if it's ironed out now though.

several posts of the "green hue" in here:
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/oracle-oculus-bi-led-headlight-replacements.20439/

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have the factory LED’s on our 21 and they are very good. The fogs are so good I reused them in my replacement front bumper. I’d definitely recommend them. The daytime running lights with the led package are very nice.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If you guys think the factory LED fogs are good, I HIGHLY recommend you look into Diode Dynamics SS3 Pros. They SMOKE the factory fogs, and get great side coverage for ditches/campsites.

As far as headlights, both OEM and Oracle are great, I prefer the look of OEM though. The "eye" of the oracles are a bit too much for me. There's also the issue of the "green hue" that the oracle headlight DRL's were suffering from for quite some time, not sure if they ever actually admitted to their issue and if it's ironed out now though.
I found that placement of the OEM LED fogs was much better on the new bumper. Side coverage is great. I haven’t seen the dynamics though.

cdyoung9799

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
+1 for the factory LED's. I had the standard headlights on my '18 JLUR, and upgraded to the OEM LED's later on. Night/day difference. When I was shopping for my JT, this was a must-have option. Aftermarket lights may be just as good, but you'll usually save yourself some time/money just getting them from the factory. Upgrading later on may not be as cost-effective for a same/similar quality light.

MattK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator (JTR)
I came from a JK with halogen which was borderline dangerous. I replaced those with the Quadratec LEDs when they first came out which was better but not great. The JL/JT factory LED lighting is great! I'm not trying to put on a light show and blind oncoming traffic and I've never once had anyone flash me saying they were too bright. Win/win in my opinion.

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
ima go against the grain here & say go with the Oracle Occulus.. I have only been side by side with the OEM LED's once & I didnt snap any pictures, but the cutoff & brightness were both clearly better on the oracle's.

Beyond that look at everything else..
Tail Lights - was I think 30 bucks to replace with LED bulbs from oracle.
Front turn signals/DRL's - Get replaced with aftermarket fenders or a high line fender kit anyway so if your not planning to leave the stock fenders stock then your paying for something you aren't going to use.
Interior light's - Honestly I have no opinion here. I suppose I have the incandescent's, but haven't noticed a need for more light, unlike the headlights which was a glaring need from the stock Halogen's.

I also replaced my Fog's with Oracle's. So all in for lighting I have spent about 705 bucks on my aftermarket LED's (headlight's, fog lights & tail lights) instead of 1040 on the factory ones.

I do prefer the appearance of the factory ones vs the Occolus bug eye look, but I absolutely love the performance & the super clean cut off of the Oracle's.

Matts4313

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Max Tow
The factory LEDs are ~150-300% more expensive than most of the good aftermarket options and generally after market is always better than factory if you get quality.

So the question is - is it worth $500 to change a light bulb? If so, then go aftermarket.
Sponsored