First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Agriculture
I have a 2020 Gladiator rubicon that I was going to lift and regear to 4:88’s and run 37” tires. My question is do you think it’s worth it to trade in for the same truck but with the diesel power plant instead of spending the money on upgrading the gasser?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gobi Gladi8or

Gobi Gladi8or

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Agriculture
All depends on what you want to do with it. What's your plan for use?
Mostly hunting and trail driving in the desert and forest in AZ. Not really doing much extreme rock crawling. I have a lot of upgrades into this one and would hate to start all over again but if the diesel is worth it I will. Mainly o hate not having 7-8 gear on the freeway with really bad fuel economy.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
I'd say stick with the gasser. Buying a diesel to be "cheaper on fuel costs" is a bad reason to get a diesel, especially the way modern diesels are restricted and regulated and the added up-front costs. Maintenance and DEF fluid are not fun either.

Not to mention, diesel Glads have issues with cooling and bottoming out on suspension. Gassers don't have these issues and do better in this regard.

Sounds to me like you really want an auto gasser more than you want a diesel.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
No, diesels are no longer worth the extra cost and maintenance.

In the JT you're giving up the ability to tow things. Numerous threads already on here about overheating and depowering.

You've already given the primary reason to NOT consider a diesel JT, you're in Arizona and will be doing desert running. Not good with a vehicle that has trouble giving up heat.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gobi Gladi8or

Gobi Gladi8or

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Agriculture
No, diesels are no longer worth the extra cost and maintenance.

In the JT you're giving up the ability to tow things. Numerous threads already on here about overheating and depowering.

You've already given the primary reason to NOT consider a diesel JT, you're in Arizona and will be doing desert running. Not good with a vehicle that has trouble giving up heat.
That is true. Of overheating is an issue it won’t do well for me here. I guess I should just continue my build as planned. I think the new gears will give its Pep back. Also the gobi color is discontinued and I really line it.

OldButStillJeeping

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, '92 Jeep YJ, 2017 F250 4WD
I have a 2020 Gladiator rubicon that I was going to lift and regear to 4:88’s and run 37” tires. My question is do you think it’s worth it to trade in for the same truck but with the diesel power plant instead of spending the money on upgrading the gasser?
4.88 is pretty damn low for 37's. 4.56 would probably be the happier place on your current Rubi regarding mpg and engine rpm. But besides that..

As for the diesel, and I love diesels; Run away from those thoughts. What would be your advantage? Better mpg? You might find that your focus should be on reliability if you're going 'out there'.

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
Mostly hunting and trail driving in the desert and forest in AZ. Not really doing much extreme rock crawling. I have a lot of upgrades into this one and would hate to start all over again but if the diesel is worth it I will. Mainly o hate not having 7-8 gear on the freeway with really bad fuel economy.
Normally I would say it isn't worth it, but if they give you a really good trade in offer maybe.

I know back in the day the local Jeep dealer would let you take the new one home so you could swap stuff like bumpers and wheels and what not. Might be worth asking if they will let you do that.

OP
OP
Gobi Gladi8or

Gobi Gladi8or

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Agriculture
Normally I would say it isn't worth it, but if they give you a really good trade in offer maybe.

I know back in the day the local Jeep dealer would let you take the new one home so you could swap stuff like bumpers and wheels and what not. Might be worth asking if they will let you do that.
That’s what I was hoping they would do and i did get a pretty decent trade in. I’m just really on the fence.

OP
OP
Gobi Gladi8or

Gobi Gladi8or

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Agriculture
4.88 is pretty damn low for 37's. 4.56 would probably be the happier place on your current Rubi regarding mpg and engine rpm. But besides that..

As for the diesel, and I love diesels; Run away from those thoughts. What would be your advantage? Better mpg? You might find that your focus should be on reliability if you're going 'out there'.
I just like the option of running 37’s on a diesel without having to regear.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I always liked diesels, until they choked them with all the current emissions requirements. Living in the Southwest, I would be real hesitant to go diesel in such a confined engine space, especially if you plan to do very much towing. Driving from Las Vegas to Mesquite in 115° weather, my gas Overland coolant will hit 215° and the oil 230° going up the hills with the AC running at 78mph (fully stock, no load). I question the diesels ability to make the trip, since I won't go without AC or drive way below the speed limit.

Mastermind

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Property Manager
I have the diesel and really like how it drives compared to the 3.6 (I have 4 Pentastars in work vans, but would never want to drive them for pleasure use)
I know certain people have complained about EcoDiesel, but I love mine and would spend the extra money any day.

UTRZRDOG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Self Employed
Not one reply from someone who actually owns a diesel. I love mine and as long as you watch the temps and don’t push it to the floor full time in the hot temps you will be fine. I have a 4500 lb boat and have pulled it in Utah from 5000 foot elevation to 7500 foot elevation in 95 degree temps and did not have any problems. Watching the temps and not needing to go 70 mph all the time it will do fine.

Last edited:

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
The pentastar does everything the diesel does and more. On a fuel and basic maintenance cost calculation it's going to take a while for the diesel to come out ahead.
Sponsored