Sponsored

Is the factory LED light upgrade worth it?

prewdog4

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Hello, I'm new to the jeep community, haven't even ordered yet. I was curious what you all thought about the LED upgrade for like $1000???

Thanks Mike
Sponsored

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Yes. I wish I had factory LED

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Personally way to much, but if u wanna stay oem, then theyre ur only option. I spent half as much and love the outcome. Sorry, no night shot. And u don't have to hook up the x-halo if u no want. Cutoff, beam, output are perfect, easy install and adjust, and I feel no need for a light bar.
Jeep Gladiator Is the factory LED light upgrade worth it? Screenshot_20200618-100546_Amazon Shoppin
Jeep Gladiator Is the factory LED light upgrade worth it? Screenshot_20200618-100601_Amazon Shoppin
Jeep Gladiator Is the factory LED light upgrade worth it? 20200725_154132

Sponsored

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, I'm new to the jeep community, haven't even ordered yet. I was curious what you all thought about the LED upgrade for like $1000???

Thanks Mike
I say no. I got the blind spot monitoring option which by default gives you the LED taillights - that's worth the upcharge. The front headlights and fog lights however were halogen. The DRL and turn were bulbs (super whimpy bulbs). For about a $100 I replaced everything (headlight bulbs, DRL bulbs, turn bulbs, and fog light bulbs) with LEDs. IMHO what I did are superior to the OEM LED option, less expensive, and easy to replace in the future if needed. The LEDs I chose specifically because they work with the reflective housing and don't blind people like the cheap LED upgrades some people use. Most importantly, I was left with $700 in my pocket for other options vs doing the OEM LED option.

Here's the LED parts I used - found on Amazon:

Jeep Gladiator Is the factory LED light upgrade worth it? 51xnggbj2pl-_sy90_-

BEAMTECH H13 LED Headlight Bulbs,6500K 10000 Lumens Extremely Super Bright 9008 Hi/Lo 30mm Heatsink Base CSP Chips Conversion Kit,Xenon White
Sold by: BEAMTECH
$39.99

Jeep Gladiator Is the factory LED light upgrade worth it? 51ysaye-xcl-_sy90_-

Alla Lighting 2504 PSX24W LED Fog Light Bulbs Super Bright High Power 50W 12V 12276 Replacement, 6000K Xenon White
Sold by: Alla Lighting
$22.99

Jeep Gladiator Is the factory LED light upgrade worth it? 51tvwpacvbl-_sy90_-

Alla Lighting 2800lm 7440 7443 LED Bulbs Xtreme Super Bright T20 7441 7442 7444NAK 7443LL LED Bulb 5730 33-SMD Car Truck Turn Signal Blinker Lights Replacement, Amber Yellow
$17.49

Jeep Gladiator Is the factory LED light upgrade worth it? 51jr2cr07dl-_sy90_-

Alla Lighting 2800lm 7440 7443 LED Bulbs Xtreme Super Bright T20 7441 7442 7444NAK LED Bulb 5730 33-SMD Car Back-Up Reverse,Turn Signal,Brake Stop Lights TailLights DRL, 6000K Xenon White
$19.98

I did not need to use decoders/resistors and have zero flicker - probably because I had the LED taillights that came with the blind spot option and Jeep was already setup for them.

If I have time I'll snap a shot of the lights at night. Hope this information helps.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
It depends on your budget. Are they nice? Sure are! Are headlights something you can upgrade later if necessary? Sure are! I have the halogens, and added some better halogen bulbs for $35, and LED fogs for another $30. I would still like something better for the headlights, but I personally would not pay $1k for the upgrade. Another consideration is how much snow you drive in. I’ve heard that LEDs freeze up because they don’t generate heat. I’ll let our northern friends have the final say on that.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
1000x yes and don't bother with the cheap ass aftermarket options. JW makes a pretty outstanding alternative but most have real issues with pattern and throw.

And please don't be the asshole who adds LED bulbs to a reflector housing. It's a dick move.

edit: Though you may reconsider if you see a lot of snow though because they don't create enough heat to melt buildup. Alternatively you can supplement halogens with something like the fog kit from Baja Designs, Rigid, or KC if you want better light coverage. I know BD and Rigid both offer it with standard lights which can have a great pattern and output.

CokreeateJT

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Ray Gray JTR
If you have the budget for it, it's totally worth it.

Sponsored

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Honestly, just go to the lot and test drive a non-led wrangler or gladiator after dark. Go a little out in the country. Then drive the LED. If you can’t find an LED to test drive, just think how dim the non-LED is, and think how the LEDs’ low beams are at least 2-3x brighter than non-LED high beams.

Hoghead

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr. JL....2017 Nissan 4x4 Pro4X.....2020 Jeep Gladiator....2019 Toyota Highlander AWD
Occupation
Owner....Freeman Tire Co. Inc.

Thanks Mike
ABSOLUTELY

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Not if you live in a cold climate. Flat face, sunken in headlights and no heat make for a long list of people crying that they build up with snow and ice. If I did go the LED rout here in Northern Ohio I would sell my headlights here and buy a heated set.

robinja

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, TJ
Occupation
Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
1000x yes and don't bother with the cheap ass aftermarket options. JW makes a pretty outstanding alternative but most have real issues with pattern and throw.

And please don't be the asshole who adds LED bulbs to a reflector housing. It's a dick move.

edit: Though you may reconsider if you see a lot of snow though because they don't create enough heat to melt buildup. Alternatively you can supplement halogens with something like the fog kit from Baja Designs, Rigid, or KC if you want better light coverage. I know BD and Rigid both offer it with standard lights which can have a great pattern and output.
A dick move is posting a blanket comment that all LED bulbs function the same in reflective housings - they do not. Do a little research before you piss off half the people on this forum.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
A dick move is posting a blanket comment that all LED bulbs function the same in reflective housings - they do not. Do a little research before you piss off half the people on this forum.
Well when that blanket comment is true, I'm going to make it. I have yet to see a set of LEDs in a reflector housing that doesn't have blinding errant light. If you can prove otherwise I'm all ears.
Sponsored