First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
The Adaptive cruise control (ACC) will only hold for about 5 seconds when it brings the truck to a full stop behind traffic.

Is there a setting in one of the JScan, TAZER, etc modules to remove this 5-second hold so it holds indefinitely - or at least until you press resume or the accelerator pedal?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The Adaptive cruise control (ACC) will only hold for about 5 seconds when it brings the truck to a full stop behind traffic.

Is there a setting in one of the JScan, TAZER, etc modules to remove this 5-second hold so it holds indefinitely - or at least until you press resume or the accelerator pedal?
There's not any way to change it, that I'm aware of. I just wait until traffic is flowing again, and then hit Resume.

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Buy a Tesla...
ā€¦Or a Ford. My F-150 that I traded in for my JT did it. So, itā€™s not like Iā€™m asking for something unreasonable. Itā€™s just dumb FCA programming.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Dumb programming - or engineered that way for a reason people just can't see or understand, so they don't like it?
People generally hate that which they don't understand.
We don't know the reasoning so we assume it was arbitrary.

Sponsored

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Not exactly what youā€™re looking for as probably a hassle in stop and go thatā€™s just a little over 5 secs, but the latest tazer FW has a press to hold brake feature. Press the brake petal hard for 2 secs and itā€™ll hold indefinitely. Then just tap the accelerator to release.

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@ShadowsPapa, I get it. I used to program. Admittedly, not for money, but I have a CS background. The rationale probably isnā€™t dumb, but the rationale may now be irrelevant since implementation - especially now that other manufacturers have been programming ACC to hold the brakes indefinitely since at least 2019 (the model year of my F-150)

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Not exactly what youā€™re looking for as probably a hassle in stop and go thatā€™s just a little over 5 secs, but the latest tazer FW has a press to hold brake feature. Press the brake petal hard for 2 secs and itā€™ll hold indefinitely. Then just tap the accelerator to release.
Hmm, that might work as a work-around.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldnā€™t just assume that Ford is ā€œdoing it rightā€. I can see the rationale behind both scenarios. I do software design for money and there are lots of situations where there isnā€™t a single right approach.

I find assuming the brake contro manually and then hitting resume once I release the brake to be just fine. Just my .02

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I wouldnā€™t just assume that Ford is ā€œdoing it rightā€. I can see the rationale behind both scenarios. I do software design for money and there are lots of situations where there isnā€™t a single right approach.

I find assuming the brake contro manually and then hitting resume once I release the brake to be just fine. Just my .02
I never said that Ford was ā€œdoing it right.ā€ However, their current implementation of ACC is the way that makes sense to me, and is currently the way that I prefer.

I am a reasonable person. Give me a scenario where FCAā€™s ACC implementation is better than Fordā€™s. Change my mind.

Sponsored

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I never said that Ford was ā€œdoing it right.ā€ However, their current implementation of ACC is the way that makes sense to me, and is currently the way that I prefer.

I am a reasonable person. Give me a scenario where FCAā€™s ACC implementation is better than Fordā€™s. Change my mind.
ā€˜How long is long enough? Perhaps the vehicle you followed to a stop turns out of your lane and the ACC launches you with debris or whatever in you path. They do call it Adaptive Cruise Control, not some broader form of Auto Drive. I can see value in forcing driver reengagement in such instances as a safer approach rather just always thinking it is merely routine stop-and-go commute congestion.

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
ā€˜How long is long enough? Perhaps the vehicle you followed to a stop turns out of your lane and the ACC launches you with debris or whatever in you path. They do call it Adaptive Cruise Control, not some broader form of Auto Drive. I can see value in forcing driver reengagement in such instances as a safer approach rather just always thinking it is merely routine stop-and-go commute congestion.
I never said it should resume on its own following a stop. In fact, I did say that it would hold the stop indefinitely until the driver intervenes by either pressing resume or the accelerator pedal( or cancel ACC). Which is how Fordā€™s does it. (unless you have their version of autopilot, which will resume on its own from what I understand - I donā€™t have it and havenā€™t used it)

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I never said it should resume on its own following a stop. In fact, I did say that it would hold the stop indefinitely until the driver intervenes by either pressing resume or the accelerator pedal( or cancel ACC). Which is how Fordā€™s does it. (unless you have their version of autopilot, which will resume on its own from what I understand - I donā€™t have it and havenā€™t used it)
The Jeep ACC is not designed for that type of use. It is not meant to drive for you. The primary purpose is to maintain speed relative to other traffic to prevent collisions while cruising on the highway. There can be arguments made for holding the brakes or cancelling the ACC if the vehicle is brought to a stop. Jeep Engineers chose cancel, probably with the assumption that the driver is aware and in full control of the vehicle.

OP
OP

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thatā€™s an interesting assertion, but can you prove that Jeep ACC is not designed to be capable of that sort of use?

I totally agree that there could be an assumption that there is an alert driver at the controls. However, it seems that it would be safer to hold the brakes - because we all know that just because someone is operating a vehicle that doesnā€™t mean that person is paying attention, or is even awake. Thus the argument to hold the brakes.

By the way, I know this debate is pretty much an exercise in futility (unless one of the tuners can actually fix this for me). Sometimes I just like to debate. I did not intend to offend anyone.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thatā€™s an interesting assertion, but can you prove that Jeep ACC is not designed to be capable of that sort of use?

I totally agree that there could be an assumption that there is an alert driver at the controls. However, it seems that it would be safer to hold the brakes - because we all know that just because someone is operating a vehicle that doesnā€™t mean that person is paying attention, or is even awake. Thus the argument to hold the brakes.

By the way, I know this debate is pretty much an exercise in futility (unless one of the tuners can actually fix this for me). Sometimes I just like to debate. I did not intend to offend anyone.
Since it doesn't do it, I would have to argue that it wasn't intended for that, even though some modifications would make it possible. Since self-driving cars are not yet legal, auto manufacturers have to be careful with the features they include and enable to avoid liability issues. Many times it is the lawyers making the final decision and not the engineers.

Yes, it could be argued that keeping the vehicle stopped may be safer in certain situations. But, it could also present a real danger if the vehicle remains stopped in a travel lane after traffic is moving again.
Sponsored