Sponsored

Is there any off-road advantage to the overland side steps?

surge101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Someone locally is selling their overland side steps, i was wondering if I should pick these up for my Sport S. I do plan to go some light/moderate off-roading with the truck (which I am completely new to), would the side steps provide any benefit? Or should I just get rock rails?
Sponsored

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Get rock rails. The side steps aren't meant to take any off road abuse.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Overland side steps are more of a composite - rock rails are steel. At least that's my understanding. The overland is a different target than Sport or Rubicon and not setup for abuse like the Sport and Rubi.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it (until or unless proven wrong, of course)

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
The sidesteps would not be a benefit for off-road as said above. The overland is just as capable as a Sport S as it's the same truck with the heavy duty brakes of the max tow/Rubicon. All it is sport with more options. Also the only way to get a limited slip at the moment on a manual is with the Overland.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The sidesteps would not be a benefit for off-road as said above. The overland is just as capable as a Sport S as it's the same truck with the heavy duty brakes of the max tow/Rubicon. All it is sport with more options. Also the only way to get a limited slip at the moment on a manual is with the Overland.
Not really the same - different in the suspension, axles, gear ratio, and the Rubicon has a lower geared 4L
Since the gear ratio is different among some other things - how can it be the same truck? It's not nearly as capable as far as payload or towing and the higher 4L means it's not going to take the rocky hills as well and it's not going to have the take-off power under load with the higher differential gear ratio. The Overland maxes out at about 1100 pounds payload - the tow capacity is 6,000 - the Rubicon tow rating is a whole thousand pounds greater.

Sponsored

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
Well yes it's not a Rubicon but neither is the sport. You said that the overland is not as capable as the sport which it is. Payload is based on the options added for the most part as people are finding out when their jeeps are delivered and they look at the sticker on the door. The overland starts with a lower payload and towing based on the options it already has as standard.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well yes it's not a Rubicon but neither is the sport. You said that the overland is not as capable as the sport which it is. Payload is based on the options added for the most part as people are finding out when their jeeps are delivered and they look at the sticker on the door. The overland starts with a lower payload and towing based on the options it already has as standard.
No, the overland does not start with lower numbers based on options it already has.
The SPORT and OVERLAND with standard towing package are identical in towing and payload specs. If the options lowered things then the Overland would be rated lower than the sport as far as payload.
Sport with tow package - payload 1100 pounds
Overland with tow package - payload 1100 pounds.
So many of the options have almost no weight to them - it's electronics, lighting, etc.
I've converted vehicles with manual windows and locks to power windows and locks and with the wiring, lock motors, window motors and cables, the different regulators, etc. - there's not that many pounds difference. 20 pounds maybe.

JT_Ollie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LBB BMW M2, SG Jeep Gladiator
Only advantage is it keeps the sides of the gladiator cleaner. Went through tons of mud bogs over the weekend. This is how the truck looked.

23B7247F-EBD2-46B8-9E48-0D3B29CC6608.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Used to get them on our Grand Cherokees for that reason. On the GC they were not good enough to be steps but sure as heck kept the Jeep cleaner and kept rock chips to a minimum.
Love your example - so, you were down by the Des Moines river, south of Pleasant Hill?

JT_Ollie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LBB BMW M2, SG Jeep Gladiator
Sorry not true mud bogs, just swampy wetland type areas in central florida
Sponsored