Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I took my JT to a dealer for the Wave oil change and tire rotation. I mentioned that there's been a lot of talk about PCM flash/update/upgrade, etc. - mostly engine related, but others have said "while I had the steering TSB resolved they also flashed the PCM" (at least a couple of forum members have said as much)

I said I wasn't having engine troubles but was concerned about the transmission "hunting" and towing troubles.
As I was talking he pulled my truck up on his tablet and said "yes, you have a PCM flash we can do".
He asked "anything else"? and I said - do anything it needs, just do it, you can have it longer than the oil change if you need. (we were heading up on a 8 hour round trip to get my wife's new GC)
They called 3 hours later - JUST before we left for Spirit Lake and I swung by to sign the paperwork and get my fob so I could pick it up on the way back from Spirit Lake with my wife's new Jeep (she's thrilled with it)

So here's the part of the service paperwork that actually APPEARS TO call it an "open recall".
What's up with this?

Jeep Gladiator Is this a real recall like shown? (PCM) 20201023_212119

On picking it up - holy XXXX!!
This thing winds up tight before shifting, holds gears a lot longer, rarely gets to 8th and on the last stretch stayed in 6th with 7th about 2/3 of the time, never hitting 8th at under 45-50 where it used to get into 8th a lot, then back out, then in, then out............ you've heard me complain about it.
Wow, it winds up, holds gears, about half as many shifts! Granted, that was only about 20 miles - hope it stays that way.
If it acts like this towing, I'd be a lot happier.

Anyway, can anyone tell me what this was all for?
Is it a RECALL?
And if so, what was the issue it's fixing?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Fairly certain 20-053 was related to the misfire issue and a couple other issues as a recommended update. I'm willing to bet the computer has to relearn your habits and the shift patterns will soften up over time.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Fairly certain 20-053 was related to the misfire issue and a couple other issues as a recommended update. I'm willing to bet the computer has to relearn your habits and the shift patterns will soften up over time.
Darn, I love this shift pattern!
I did a search of the forum and found the 20-053 is indeed a TSB - but I read in the image that if the VIN is in the list, perform the TSB - even with no symptoms. So apparently my VIN was in their list to get this update as shortly after he plugged in and got the VIN, it showed up on his tablet.
My JT was apparently listed in the VIN list - even with no complaints.
I really wish it would keep this shift pattern.....

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
From my understanding, that should have only been applied if you had a stored trouble code. It very well make an improvement though. You have to wonder what all we might be missing compared to the late builds.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
From my understanding, that should have only been applied if you had a stored trouble code. It very well make an improvement though. You have to wonder what all we might be missing compared to the late builds.
I found an image of the TSB someone had posted - and it says to apply if the VIN is found in some list. Note where the ** is in this - "If the customer's VIN is listed....... perform the repair. If any vehicle not in the VIN list exhibits the symptom/condition, perform the repair"
So two ways to get the repair - be in the VIN list - or - have a symptom.

Guess I qualified according to this.
It's from August this year.

Jeep Gladiator Is this a real recall like shown? (PCM) TSB2

Sponsored

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
Interesting. Very interesting. I'm not having issues at the moment.

1JeepFamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I posted about this Flash over in the Survey- For those with misfire issues thread on Oct 15, 2020 as the solution to my ESS, shifting, engine lugging, and P0300 problemsā€”but you describe the changes a lot better than I did.

This Flash makes the JT drive likeā€”I assumeā€”it was always meant to. Very happy with how it's running now.

EDIT: Now if I can only speed up the TSB 08-074-20 steel steering gear process <shakes fist>

Last edited:

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)

BryantJT

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 TJ Rubicon, 2021 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Planner
Manual transmission is the MTX code.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 CRV, ā€˜14 Mazda3, ā€˜20 JTR (Gator)
Manual transmission is the MTX code.
Thx. I thought that but couldnā€™t find a reference in the build sheets - only DEM for the manual trans build. It might be there but I just couldnā€™t see it.

Sponsored

ALVagabond

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR "Praetorian"
I had my 10k mile service yesterday and they flashed the PCM. The paperwork uses the word "recall."

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had my 10k mile service yesterday and they flashed the PCM. The paperwork uses the word "recall."
I figured it was sort of an internal thing after looking into it a bit- when they return to a dealer for any reason, update the PCM. So yours also used that word.
So far mine is still shifting "better" but has changed back a little bit - but I don't see 8th gear nearly as much as I used to and it seems to stay in lower gears a bit later. MPG is definitely down but that's fine with me. I bought the thing as a truck, not a Prius, and that great mpg was simply icing on an already nice cake.
Sponsored