Sponsored

Is this enough differential fluid, or should I top it up? With pics…

56cbr600rr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Almost 3000 miles and wanted to check my fluid levels. Rear was a little lower than the front as you can see in the pictures. Should I too them up or is this plenty?

Jeep Gladiator Is this enough differential fluid, or should I top it up? With pics… 5B593C15-6D3C-4F49-B276-F885400318E2
Jeep Gladiator Is this enough differential fluid, or should I top it up? With pics… EB34A612-71FF-41CB-8F58-E4AFEC4C3CCF

also, shouldn’t the rear plug have a magnet?

Jeep Gladiator Is this enough differential fluid, or should I top it up? With pics… CAE98B07-C015-4783-BD00-48E2F109835E
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If you can stick your little finger in the fill hole and bend it down at the first joint and touch fluid, it's fine. Don't "top it off" - those Q-tips look about like the same distance as the first joint in my finger which is roughly 1"
They are fine.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I was surprised when I changed the gear oil in mine between the two they probably only had 1.5 qt. Between both if that. I'm not sure but that could have been part of reason many ended up with axle leak "run low on gear oil, torn up seal from being dry" possibly why. I used close to 3 qt. Between both on refill.

ShadowsPapa is a heck of a lot better on that than myself in knowing correct level ect ect. I was always told to bottom of fill plug in stock axles.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I was surprised when I changed the gear oil in mine between the two they probably only had 1.5 qt. Between both if that. I'm not sure but that could have been part of reason many ended up with axle leak "run low on gear oil, torn up seal from being dry" possibly why. I used close to 3 qt. Between both on refill.

ShadowsPapa is a heck of a lot better on that than myself in knowing correct level ect ect. I was always told to bottom of fill plug in stock axles.
For a change and refill, "up to" bottom of fill plug hole. For a check to see if it's low, where he's at is fine.

For decades, the finger test has been sort of like a dipstick - there's a full and a low.
He's between.

The ring gear tosses the fluid up and it travels through cast-in passages to where it needs to be.

Here's a description I found elsewhere - (I was too lazy to go get one of my service books LOL)

Jeep Gladiator Is this enough differential fluid, or should I top it up? With pics… 1680145860184

Jeep Gladiator Is this enough differential fluid, or should I top it up? With pics… 1680145817225

OP
OP

56cbr600rr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, stuck the q-tips in exactly like they are bent, as a feeler guage of sorts.... And the worst was the rear. About 5/8 below the hole. Fluid did not seem as "oily" as motor oil IMO.

Also, should I go and get a plug with a magnet in it?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, stuck the q-tips in exactly like they are bent, as a feeler guage of sorts.... And the worst was the rear. About 5/8 below the hole. Fluid did not seem as "oily" as motor oil IMO.

Also, should I go and get a plug with a magnet in it?
Magnets need to be low. A fill plug won't help so you'd need to pull the drain plug if it has one and install magnetic drain plug.
Not a big need as metals settle to the bottom anyway but if u want one wait until u do a drain and refill and do it then.
Millions of differentials out there with no magnets and doing fine.
One school of thought is that if it needs a magnet to collect stuff, it's already too late.

Lost1wing

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AMT
In my world, we would analyze the metal to see if was normal wear or a failure. The different particles are identified to the specific part. We would know before the analysis what was normal and what was not by the feel of it. Some times we would get it wrong, but that's why we check.

I think the magnets are there just to keep that fine powder from normal wear out of the oil. If you find big pieces on the magnet, you were looking for them because of a noise or vibration.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
In my world, we would analyze the metal to see if was normal wear or a failure. The different particles are identified to the specific part. We would know before the analysis what was normal and what was not by the feel of it. Some times we would get it wrong, but that's why we check.

I think the magnets are there just to keep that fine powder from normal wear out of the oil. If you find big pieces on the magnet, you were looking for them because of a noise or vibration.
Yeah, it's hard to explain experience over many years, extreme use of perceptual reasoning and using all of that information gathered over time to know very quickly "what to do (or not do)".
Over time, seeing or feeling things in conjunction with normal wear, or with abnormal wear, you can instinctively know it's normal or not. And if not - all that the magnet has done is gathered the abnormal stuff in one place.

You are describing experience (and likely some skills) - and that just can't be moved along across the internet to others.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
The drain plug should have a magnet, mine did. I changed my covers to Cast Dana cover so did not even remove the fill plug on old covers. I like the idea of changing the oil sooner on the gladiator, and I did when changing the covers front was real nice the rear was a little dirty, and both magnets had some metal dust on them about the same amount. My old covers are sitting in basement I’ll check if they have magnets, if so I can send them to you if you want…..Jack

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The drain plug should have a magnet, mine did. I changed my covers to Cast Dana cover so did not even remove the fill plug on old covers. I like the idea of changing the oil sooner on the gladiator, and I did when changing the covers front was real nice the tears were a little dirty, and both magnets had some metal dust on them about the same amount. My old covers are sitting in basement I’ll check if they have magnets, if so I can send them to you if you want…..Jack
He's got a 2022 - no drain plugs.
To put any magnet in, he's got to remove the covers.
Magnets are a "meh - might make someone feel good" thing to me...if it's collected something, then you've got other troubles. That fine dark powdery stuff is nothing.
Many millions of cars and trucks out there - no magnets, no issues.

---
Jeep people seem to freak out over such dust, and seem to believe that somehow Jeeps are special and need much more frequent fluid changes. It seems to be almost a bragging right in some cases. "I know better, I change my fluid every 10,000 miles!".
So what........ I guess it's your money.
After-market gears, that's different, but factory gears - already burnished and broke-in for the most part. If there's silver metal in there, the type that you can easily see, you've got issues. If it's that dark fine powder, ignore it.

If ya want magnets, install them, but I frankly see no gain. It just makes people feel better and you know how the internet is...... LOL

Sponsored

OP
OP

56cbr600rr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The drain plug should have a magnet, mine did. I changed my covers to Cast Dana cover so did not even remove the fill plug on old covers. I like the idea of changing the oil sooner on the gladiator, and I did when changing the covers front was real nice the tears were a little dirty, and both magnets had some metal dust on them about the same amount. My old covers are sitting in basement I’ll check if they have magnets, if so I can send them to you if you want…..Jack
hey! It is the fill plug, as mine does not
have the drain plug. The ocd side
of me says that would be awesome
If you have an extra.

thank you

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I do diff fluids every 24 months when I flush brake fluid, but thats me

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I do diff fluids every 24 months when I flush brake fluid, but thats me
For me that would be about 24,000 miles. I go longer on the differentials.
But brakes - that's 24 months. I've had brake lines rot from the inside out........ it's not something to skip. But I've gone years and many thousands of miles on differential lube.
These are more wimpy in some ways (pinion bearings) so I won't go the usual 80,000 plus on this. And I do tow now and then. It IS a truck.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
hey! It is the fill plug, as mine does not
have the drain plug. The ocd side
of me says that would be awesome
If you have an extra.

thank you
Go grab some old-school speakers and salvage the magnets out of them.
You'll need to pull the covers off, set the magnets where they won't interfere with any internal moving parts (stay way clear of the ring gear, etc.) and put it back together and refill.
They aren't special magnets by any stretch. They are just magnets that sit on the steel cover LOW, as low as you can get them.
Some are even placed in the bottom of the differential housing and not on covers. It's varied over the years.
If it it makes you feel good, I guess go for it.

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
If my diffs were that low, I would document it and immediately fill to the proper operating level.

The Owners Manual is very clear that the proper oil level is 1/8" below the bottom of the fill port. DO NOT go by someone on the interweb posting that it is OK because of information "found elsewhere".

Jeep Gladiator Is this enough differential fluid, or should I top it up? With pics… 1680197536538
Sponsored