Is this residue normal?

56cbr600rr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Looking at possibly purchasing this Sport S. It was not dealer traded in. Has 190 miles on it. It has this glue/residue under the drivers side sill. Part of it looks like "possible" remnants of duct or painters tape. Hoping it did not have any paint work. None of the many other Jeeps on the lot had anything similar.

Thoughts.

Trying to post pics now...
Sponsored

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Might have been from factory and just not wiped off. You would be surprised at how many dozens of vehicles a day get "touched up with paint" on a daily basis and get shipped out to sell. They wouldn't scrap a 40k truck just because of a paint defect would they? Either it's that or maybe it was wrapped for transport but I haven't seen any transported covered with plastic.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Their body shop should have a paint thickness gauge meter. I would ask them to show you the paint thickness in a couple of spots and compare it to another Gladiator on the lot. If they refuse, pass.

OP
OP

56cbr600rr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Their body shop should have a paint thickness gauge meter. I would ask them to show you the paint thickness in a couple of spots and compare it to another Gladiator on the lot. If they refuse, pass.
I'd want to check the paint on the door. Aluminum isn't it? I wonder if gauge works with that...

Sponsored

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
What if it was damaged on the lot or transport truck and they had it fixed. Would they have to disclose that or would they say it's still a brand new truck? Makes you wonder

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
What if it was damaged on the lot or transport truck and they had it fixed. Would they have to disclose that or would they say it's still a brand new truck? Makes you wonder
I think it varies but many states they do not have to disclose any thing and other states, it is a certain dollar amount they are suppose to disclose such things.

I'd want to check the paint on the door. Aluminum isn't it? I wonder if gauge works with that...
Should work on any base metal surface. The below video show one in use and demostrated by a dealership that got a dealer transfer vehicle that had been touched up with no disclosed damage. Starts about the 8:35 time mark.

sgtkersh

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland; 1980 CJ5 Golden Eagle
I just bought an Overland last Thursday with 5 miles on it and this residue with some remaining pieces of what looked like a green tape/sticker.
I would suspect is is some sort of sticker or other similar thing from the factory and they didn’t use Goof Off or similar to remove the residue.

I also had more sticker crap on my windshield than I have seen with all my previous Jeep, and other manufacturer purchases.

So I would mark this up to the factory using stuff that requires better clean up at the dealer, like using Goof Off, to remove the residue.

OP
OP

56cbr600rr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just bought an Overland last Thursday with 5 miles on it and this residue with some remaining pieces of what looked like a green tape/sticker.
I would suspect is is some sort of sticker or other similar thing from the factory and they didn’t use Goof Off or similar to remove the residue.

I also had more sticker crap on my windshield than I have seen with all my previous Jeep, and other manufacturer purchases.

So I would mark this up to the factory using stuff that requires better clean up at the dealer, like using Goof Off, to remove the residue.

Was your residue/tape in the same spot? Door sill at driver side?

Sponsored

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
@56cbr600rr looks like my family was in that truck. For some reason they can't get in without scuffing the sills with their shoes/boots. It really shows up on my white. I'd guess that is from boots of the many people in and out of that truck, and the dealership did a poor job of prep.

OP
OP

56cbr600rr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hear ya. Mine too! I have tons of 3M film that I will use on this thing to protect it from the family.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
My truck had some tape residue also. It is from the factory. They tape film to the trucks for travel. If you get a chance go down and watch them take off there next load from the delivery truck. You will see it for yourself.

My dealer did an ok job getting most of it off but I finished the job on my 1st wash. A little GooGone and it came right off.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at possibly purchasing this Sport S. It was not dealer traded in. Has 190 miles on it. It has this glue/residue under the drivers side sill. Part of it looks like "possible" remnants of duct or painters tape. Hoping it did not have any paint work. None of the many other Jeeps on the lot had anything similar.

Thoughts.

Trying to post pics now...
"Painter's tape" leave NO residue - even after weeks, let alone hours or a couple of days.
I have yellow, purple, blue tapes - none will leave a residue - but the blue will after about 6 months depending on the environment.
So it's not paint masking tape used in body shops and most of them won't have duct tape.

In short, there's nothing in a body shop that would leave residue. It costs them too much time and effort and too much risk.
Sponsored