Issue with 3rd Brake Light

margrxsalt

First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Wondering if anyone else has issues with the third Brake Light. I was going to take a pic of my tailgate and i had someone push the brake petal and the tailgate light did not light up. Any way i can troubleshoot this issue. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Of course, I am never in the back of the truck bc usually driving it. Thank you
Sponsored

Sundownee

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram 2500 Longhorn 6.7L diesel , 2005 Durango,
Occupation
Exp Eng. Tech
Wondering if anyone else has issues with the third Brake Light. I was going to take a pic of my tailgate and i had someone push the brake petal and the tailgate light did not light up. Any way i can troubleshoot this issue. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Of course, I am never in the back of the truck bc usually driving it. Thank you

check and see if the connector at the tail gate is connected, possible its not in the locked position

OP
OP
margrxsalt

margrxsalt

First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
check and see if the connector at the tail gate is connected, possible its not in the locked position
Where is that located, do i need to remove tailgate cover? Thank you

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Do the brake lights illuminate? If yes then switch is fine, check connection at tailgate.

Did it previously function? Have you monkeyed with tailgate recently, done any crazy bumpy driving? Taken it for a swim?

OP
OP
margrxsalt

margrxsalt

First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do the brake lights illuminate? If yes then switch is fine, check connection at tailgate.

Did it previously function? Have you monkeyed with tailgate recently, done any crazy bumpy driving? Taken it for a swim?
No mods or anything crazy. I couldn't tell you if it worked before or not. I just noticed it when asked someone to step on brakes while I took a pic. The tail lights turn on when brakes pumped as well as turn signals. My taillights are LED with Blind spot. I made an appointment with Jeep to take a look at it since under warranty.

Sponsored

Sundownee

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ram 2500 Longhorn 6.7L diesel , 2005 Durango,
Occupation
Exp Eng. Tech
here is the procedure to remove the tailgate, showing the connector location, may have been removed for bed liner spraying

Attachments

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Yeah I'd be willing to bet it is just a connector come lose (or never reconnected).

OP
OP
margrxsalt

margrxsalt

First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
here is the procedure to remove the tailgate, showing the connector location, may have been removed for bed liner spraying
Thank you for the diagram, i will check this tomorrow when it is daylight. Thanks for your help Sundownee and ACAD. I will let you guys know if that was the issue.

OP
OP
margrxsalt

margrxsalt

First Name
Ro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took the Gator to the dealer today. Faulty LED brake light. Ordering the part and replacing when it comes in.

Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Digging this up as I had this problem today. Guy behind me on the trail said my tailgate light wasn’t working. I had someone step on the brake and sure enough it wasn’t. I grabbed the handle and opened the tailgate and it came on. Close the tailgate and try again, no light. I drive home and check it again. Guess what? It works. SMH

WhippetTaxi

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 410, 2011 BMW 1M, 2001 F250
Occupation
Retired
My Gladiator failed its state inspection a couple weeks ago due to the third brake light not working. I guessed that it was a connection somewhere, but the dealer diagnosed the problem and replaced the LED lamp assembly under warranty. Just listing the info here as this may be a somewhat common problem. Gladiator is a 2020.

dawghauler

First Name
pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jt sport s max tow
Occupation
hvac
Mines out too dealer will not warranty it as it’s a bulb (led) this is on a 2020 model. Dealer cost is very high ordered replacement from allmopararts it has along lead time

ntwrkguru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Jeep Wrangler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Had this happen to mine, but it was a loose connector for the TBL. Covered under warranty.

Mandrake

First Name
Mandrake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave, 2016 JKUR,
Like 'WhipetTaxi' mine failed state inspection in 'Commie-wealth' of Virginia. Didn't even know it wasn't working.
I suspect corrosion some where. Its was driven in snow before I had bought it by the dealer and they got salt on it. It was working and I bet its intermittent. They ordered a new LED taillight there for the tailgate. I am going to check the wires and that ground wire that PDF 'Sundownee' posted.
If I finnd a corroded something, I'll let yo guys know,
best
Sponsored