First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator Rubicon, 06 Xterra S, 21 Toyota Supra
Occupation
Client Rep
Hello Gladiator community. I am hoping some (or many) of you can offer some insight into the ride quality of my Gladiator.

I recently purchased a used 2021 Gladiator Rubicon. The previous owner installed 24x14 wheels wrapped in 37x14.5R24 rubber and a rough country 6" lift. I am not sure what else has been done, but I do not see any other modifications visually.

My dilemma is that this Gladiator is ALL over the road while driving above 45 mph and it feels very unsafe at 60mph. I have to constantly steer and correct while driving in a straight line and just don't feel like this is normal. I have watched dozens of videos and spoke to several people and am told the following:

A) Don't worry about it, all Jeeps drive like this.
B) Having wheels/tires that size will always cause those driving issues.
C) A 6" rough country lift will cause those issues.
D) The stock aluminum steering box is the culprit.

I took it in to the dealer to have the stock aluminum steering box replace with the all steel unit, however they refused to do the work citing that they cannot properly align it after the box replacement due to the size/offset of the wheels/tires. That said, I purchased the steer smart sector shaft brace in the hopes it would suffice. Although the issue has improved, it still feels awkward and dangerous at highway speeds.

My question is, has anyone else encountered this and can provide a list of things to check and/or fix? Do Jeep's naturally wander? Do I need to downsize the wheels and offset? Is there possibly and underlying issue not related to tires and lift? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I come from a long line of sports cars, but I do not have any experience with lifted trucks of any sort, so I welcome the communities feedback!

Thank you.

Jeep Gladiator Issue with ride quality on 24x14 wheels paired with 6" lift FB_IMG_1680636913044

Jeep Gladiator Issue with ride quality on 24x14 wheels paired with 6" lift FB_IMG_1680636926693

Jeep Gladiator Issue with ride quality on 24x14 wheels paired with 6" lift FB_IMG_1680636947467
Sponsored

ATL_Rubi

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caretaker to various super cars
Occupation
Sales
Higher pressures on tires can lead to what I'll call "dart-e-ness." I would do the chalk test (youtube/google that for instructions) and reduce pressures as needed. Coming from sports cars, you know thinner walled tires have more "metals" in them to maintain shape and strength, at 24x14 wide, I can only imagine this thing is tramlining like crazy due to the contact patch of rubber on the road.

Further, there should be a full alignment check everything. I would also ensure that you have the correct length control arms, track bars, etc.

RC is not the best in the industry, but paired with correct parts, it's decent, my hunch is that there is an alignment mismatch, coupled with the massively wide wheels.

I would start with pressures, then alignment, then suspension components. If nothing fixes it, moving to a tire that is perhaps a 12.5 wide - 13.0 wide might be advisable on smaller diameter wheels.

Editing to add: Jeeps do wander, but many in the gladiator community will attest that among jeeps, ours if done/lifted/modified, right very rarely wander to a point of sketchiness.

Chief_jeep

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Ecodiesel
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
37s should not wander that much but that wheel is very wide. The tires could be over inflated and wandering. You're going to keep your local chiropractor busy with that setup.

Rough country lifts are a budget lift in the Jeep world and a 6" lift is huge. It could be one of the components. I'd take it to a reputable Jeep shop and have them check everything. Ball joints, bushings, torque spec and anything else they recommend. I'd ask the dealer to give you the steel steering box and have the shop install it and then get an alignment after you have everything checked.

How many miles are on the Jeep or the lift?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Doubt the alignment is setup properly for that much lift. 6" is massive and requires A LOT of parts to get the geometry right for it to not steer like shit. You probably need a drag link flip, track bar relocation bracket (front and rear), adjustable track bars, adjustable control arms with drop brackets or long arms, front drive shaft, possibly a rear drive shaft, and a good alignment to get you back to 5.5-6* of caster.

jcarbs

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tahoe
Hello Gladiator community. I am hoping some (or many) of you can offer some insight into the ride quality of my Gladiator.

I recently purchased a used 2021 Gladiator Rubicon. The previous owner installed 24x14 wheels wrapped in 37x14.5R24 rubber and a rough country 6" lift. I am not sure what else has been done, but I do not see any other modifications visually.

My dilemma is that this Gladiator is ALL over the road while driving above 45 mph and it feels very unsafe at 60mph. I have to constantly steer and correct while driving in a straight line and just don't feel like this is normal. I have watched dozens of videos and spoke to several people and am told the following:

A) Don't worry about it, all Jeeps drive like this.
B) Having wheels/tires that size will always cause those driving issues.
C) A 6" rough country lift will cause those issues.
D) The stock aluminum steering box is the culprit.

I took it in to the dealer to have the stock aluminum steering box replace with the all steel unit, however they refused to do the work citing that they cannot properly align it after the box replacement due to the size/offset of the wheels/tires. That said, I purchased the steer smart sector shaft brace in the hopes it would suffice. Although the issue has improved, it still feels awkward and dangerous at highway speeds.

My question is, has anyone else encountered this and can provide a list of things to check and/or fix? Do Jeep's naturally wander? Do I need to downsize the wheels and offset? Is there possibly and underlying issue not related to tires and lift? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I come from a long line of sports cars, but I do not have any experience with lifted trucks of any sort, so I welcome the communities feedback!

Thank you.

Jeep Gladiator Issue with ride quality on 24x14 wheels paired with 6" lift FB_IMG_1680636947467

If you don't mind driving to Manvel about an hour north of you, there is a really reputable shop there and maybe they can give you greater insights or fix the issues. It's Tops Offroad and Performance and their number is 281-305-8785. Good luck.

Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Good advice so far. First question is, do you want to keep the lift and rims? Even going down to 4" would be much better. Ditto with those huge, heavy, wide rims.

OP
OP
theCATALYST

theCATALYST

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Client Rep
Higher pressures on tires can lead to what I'll call "dart-e-ness." I would do the chalk test (youtube/google that for instructions) and reduce pressures as needed. Coming from sports cars, you know thinner walled tires have more "metals" in them to maintain shape and strength, at 24x14 wide, I can only imagine this thing is tramlining like crazy due to the contact patch of rubber on the road.

Further, there should be a full alignment check everything. I would also ensure that you have the correct length control arms, track bars, etc.

RC is not the best in the industry, but paired with correct parts, it's decent, my hunch is that there is an alignment mismatch, coupled with the massively wide wheels.

I would start with pressures, then alignment, then suspension components. If nothing fixes it, moving to a tire that is perhaps a 12.5 wide - 13.0 wide might be advisable on smaller diameter wheels.

Editing to add: Jeeps do wander, but many in the gladiator community will attest that among jeeps, ours if done/lifted/modified, right very rarely wander to a point of sketchiness.
Awesome answer, thank you. I understand RC is a budget lift, but I don't foresee any major off-roading with this jeep besides deep sand occasionally for fishing/camping in Matagorda Island. However that said, if the wheel size/offset is too much, I have no issues changing out to something a bit more correct.

I will do as you said and start with the tire pressure and go from there. Thank you!

OP
OP
theCATALYST

theCATALYST

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Client Rep
37s should not wander that much but that wheel is very wide. The tires could be over inflated and wandering. You're going to keep your local chiropractor busy with that setup.

Rough country lifts are a budget lift in the Jeep world and a 6" lift is huge. It could be one of the components. I'd take it to a reputable Jeep shop and have them check everything. Ball joints, bushings, torque spec and anything else they recommend. I'd ask the dealer to give you the steel steering box and have the shop install it and then get an alignment after you have everything checked.

How many miles are on the Jeep or the lift?
As the poster above you suggested, I will check inflation first followed by alignment and checking of components. Thank you also for your suggestions. Not a bad idea regarding the steel steering box, I will aproach them and see how willing they are to let me have it.

OP
OP
theCATALYST

theCATALYST

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Client Rep
Doubt the alignment is setup properly for that much lift. 6" is massive and requires A LOT of parts to get the geometry right for it to not steer like shit. You probably need a drag link flip, track bar relocation bracket (front and rear), adjustable track bars, adjustable control arms with drop brackets or long arms, front drive shaft, possibly a rear drive shaft, and a good alignment to get you back to 5.5-6* of caster.
You are quite possibly correct. I am a newb in the lift department, so I will need to do my homework on this.

OP
OP
theCATALYST

theCATALYST

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Client Rep
If you don't mind driving to Manvel about an hour north of you, there is a really reputable shop there and maybe they can give you greater insights or fix the issues. It's Tops Offroad and Performance and their number is 281-305-8785. Good luck.
Thank you for that referral. I will definitely give them a call and see what they can make of this.

Sponsored

OP
OP
theCATALYST

theCATALYST

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Client Rep
Good advice so far. First question is, do you want to keep the lift and rims? Even going down to 4" would be much better. Ditto with those huge, heavy, wide rims.
Absolutely great advice. Having been a member of other car forums, I was sure I was going to get a lot of ridicule for the setup on this Jeep, but instead I got really good insight and answers. Thank you everyone.

As for keeping the lift and rims? Depends wholly on if I can get this thing to adopt some road manners first. I love the look and will only be taking this thing offroad at the beach on Matagorda Island for fishing/camping. So I don't think I would be stressing things too much. I love the look, which is what drew me to purchase this used one in the first place, however, I am not against downsizing lift and rims if it means a better safer ride.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Absolutely great advice. Having been a member of other car forums, I was sure I was going to get a lot of ridicule for the setup on this Jeep, but instead I got really good insight and answers. Thank you everyone.

As for keeping the lift and rims? Depends wholly on if I can get this thing to adopt some road manners first. I love the look and will only be taking this thing offroad at the beach on Matagorda Island for fishing/camping. So I don't think I would be stressing things too much. I love the look, which is what drew me to purchase this used one in the first place, however, I am not against downsizing lift and rims if it means a better safer ride.
See if someone close to you has a set of wrangler/gladiator stock wheels and tires laying around.
If the new wheels and tires fix your problem, you know you need to replace the wheels and tires with something a little less wide, and with a lot less poke.

Sbro2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator rubicon diesel
Sadly, you lost me at 24x14” wheels…. Those belong on SEMA trucks that don’t actually drive anywhere. If you want the 37”tire height and better ride, go back down to a 17” wheel that has something more than a rubber band worth of sidewall wrapped around it and isn’t 60% as wide as it is tall. That’s the bulk of your ride-handling problem. Now, being someone who has just replaced all of my steering on mine running 40’s, it’s likely you have other issues in the system. Those wheels that are on that rig have SO much leverage on the steering so quite possible it’s all wore out already. Depending on the backspace those are at least 2.5-3” of scrub radius which will destroy components fast, as well as making it horrible to drive as it will follow every crack, pebble and frankly anyway the wind wants to take you.

OP
OP
theCATALYST

theCATALYST

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Client Rep
See if someone close to you has a set of wrangler/gladiator stock wheels and tires laying around.
If the new wheels and tires fix your problem, you know you need to replace the wheels and tires with something a little less wide, and with a lot less poke.
Good idea, I will see what I can find.

OP
OP
theCATALYST

theCATALYST

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Client Rep
Sadly, you lost me at 24x14” wheels…. Those belong on SEMA trucks that don’t actually drive anywhere. If you want the 37”tire height and better ride, go back down to a 17” wheel that has something more than a rubber band worth of sidewall wrapped around it and isn’t 60% as wide as it is tall. That’s the bulk of your ride-handling problem. Now, being someone who has just replaced all of my steering on mine running 40’s, it’s likely you have other issues in the system. Those wheels that are on that rig have SO much leverage on the steering so quite possible it’s all wore out already. Depending on the backspace those are at least 2.5-3” of scrub radius which will destroy components fast, as well as making it horrible to drive as it will follow every crack, pebble and frankly anyway the wind wants to take you.
You are most likely correct about this. The vehicle has about 17k miles on it, but I do not know how many miles since the lift and wheel/tire combo was installed. This thing definitely tracks every dip, crack and imperfection in the road every chance it gets.

I have no issue downgrading the wheel size back to something respectable but would like to keep at least a 37" tire at minimum. I just wanted to do my due diligence and get everyone's opinion first before doing that just in case this was salvageable while retaining this particular look.

Thank you for your input.
Sponsored