Issues right out of the dealership parking lot

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S on 35's, Mopar 2" lift, `96 XJ, 97 ZJ, `99 Camaro LS1
Hi all, i just took delivery of my JT sport S with max tow and auto trans with hard top yesterday. Had a 300 mile ride to drive it home and get familiar with things. I have 3 obvious issues to report, looking for any input before i begin the god awful process of bouncing from service dept to service dept and hearing the "thats normal" bullsh*t from the tech.

1. Transmission downshifts when i brake lightly, surging rpm and making my passengers and my own head jerk forward through each gear, furthermore, in traffic at low speeds during the low gears downshift, it shudders like I'm driving over a rumble strip.
2. Between 55mph and 62mph, there is a very obnoxious vibe. From my lifted xj experience, its a bass sounding vibe that is heard 100% easily, but not necessarily felt easily. Enough to make myself and passengers complain that it was giving us all a headache. Didn't occur in any of the 5 other JTs i test drove.
3. Compass is 100% backwards. And glitches to several different directions while traveling in the same direction. During my ride up the east coast, (NORTH) it would say south for the most part, with random changes to all directions even while going straight down the road.

Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated before i hit the service dept. Sooo frustrating to have issues with a brand new rig that costs this much.
Sponsored

Trauma PA

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys, 2021 Audi Q3
Occupation
Trauma Surgery Physician Assistant
Did you take the vehicle on an extended test drive before you purchased? I always ask the dealer to let me take it home to show the wife. They always oblige.

I'd be very frustrated if I were in your shoes. Given a long holiday weekend I'd be even more irritated. I hope these issues are easily remedied.

OP
OP
XJ2JTChris

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did and I wouldn't blame this on the dealership necessarily, as it was my own fault for cutting my test drive short. I was 5 hours from home, unfamiliar with the area, there was bumper to bumper traffic every direction i attempted to go, so i couldnt get it over 30mph and didnt dare getting stuck in traffic on the highway. As for the compass, i was too busy paying attention to the road i wasn't familiar with to notice. So yea...my thought was "it's brand new, what can possibly be wrong". So i let my guard down. Go figure. Haha. I will update in a few weeks when i have time to get it to the dealer, unless they say it's quick fixes with software or soemthing and they can do it sooner than later.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
There is a compass calibration procedure in the owners manual. If you do not have one, should be able to get it in the owners section on the Jeep.com website.

Transmission jerking, I would disconnect both the main and ESS Aux battery for like 30+ minutes to reset the transmission adaptive learning and go from there.

Vibration, I will let others give input on that.

Puda32

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
I have the same issues as #1 on a Sport S Max Tow. I had test drove 2 JT's and there was a hail storm on it's way so I figured the same as you and took off with my new truck. I did some reading on the JL Forum and found other similar complaints. Some said after a couple thousand miles it is hardly noticeable. I have about 800 miles on mine and don't have much improvement. Some said they had low fluid. Some ended up with new transmissions. Most got told it was "operating as intended". The rumblestrip feeling is worst for me going from third gear to second. Some advice I read to re-create for the dealer is to get up to 25 mph (should be in 4th gear at this point) and coast to a stop. I am able to re-create nearly every time. Second to first seems to be the worst for the surge I feel. And just about all speeds below 5th gear it doesn't feel like it's in the expected gear. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for a solution. Despite having the Max tow option I wouldn't feel comfortable towing a wagon at this point. I'd be very interested to see if you have success with this at the dealer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
XJ2JTChris

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm already anticipating the typical "that's normal" bullshit response. They're only your best friend while trying to get your money. Once they have it, you're on your own for small issues like this. Truck has to be real f*cked up it seems before they actually take the blame and perform real costly maintenance or repairs on their own dime. A**holes. But who knows. Maybe we luck out. I wont have time to get down there for another week or two, so it's sitting in the garage for now, I'll drive it a few times just to see if it gets any better before then. Will post up when i have the service depts answers.

Kjm18

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Rubicon - Delivered 7/23
Occupation
Attorney
I'm already anticipating the typical "that's normal" bullshit response. They're only your best friend while trying to get your money. Once they have it, you're on your own for small issues like this. Truck has to be real f*cked up it seems before they actually take the blame and perform real costly maintenance or repairs on their own dime. A**holes. But who knows. Maybe we luck out. I wont have time to get down there for another week or two, so it's sitting in the garage for now, I'll drive it a few times just to see if it gets any better before then. Will post up when i have the service depts answers.
You're going to come all the way down to Maryland again? I'd just bring it to a local place and get it fixed under warranty.

Proximo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max
Hi all, i just took delivery of my JT sport S with max tow and auto trans with hard top yesterday. Had a 300 mile ride to drive it home and get familiar with things. I have 3 obvious issues to report, looking for any input before i begin the god awful process of bouncing from service dept to service dept and hearing the "thats normal" bullsh*t from the tech.

1. Transmission downshifts when i brake lightly, surging rpm and making my passengers and my own head jerk forward through each gear, furthermore, in traffic at low speeds during the low gears downshift, it shudders like I'm driving over a rumble strip.
2. Between 55mph and 62mph, there is a very obnoxious vibe. From my lifted xj experience, its a bass sounding vibe that is heard 100% easily, but not necessarily felt easily. Enough to make myself and passengers complain that it was giving us all a headache. Didn't occur in any of the 5 other JTs i test drove.
3. Compass is 100% backwards. And glitches to several different directions while traveling in the same direction. During my ride up the east coast, (NORTH) it would say south for the most part, with random changes to all directions even while going straight down the road.

Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated before i hit the service dept. Sooo frustrating to have issues with a brand new rig that costs this much.
Did you get your 55mph vibe diagnosed? I have the same thing, and others asking about it.

OP
OP
XJ2JTChris

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, not going back to MD, as you said I'll be calling around to local service depts to see who sounds the friendliest and most knowledgeable about the issues, but I won't have time to bring it in right away....and i need the vehicle everyday for the next 2 weeks. I'll definitely update based on the responses i get from the various locations I'll be speaking to about it. This way any other CT folks can get a better idea of which places to stear clear of.

Sponsored

OP
OP
XJ2JTChris

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Should I have to check fluids in a brand spankin new $40,000 vehicle??!! I'll be heated if I find out they put me on the road with low fluids.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Checking fluid level on a 8 speed is a pretty involved process anyways

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
On issue #1 I’d say it’s the adaptive transmission getting its self sorted out.
Maybe give er a few more miles. I can detect mine downshifting as well but not as “fierce” as you described. Overall yes take it to the dealer have the tech ride shotgun with you. They should be able to plug in to the OBD while your driving and record any faults. Reprogram that compass too.
Good luck mate!

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Humans make mistakes. Might not be the problem but it’s smart to check fluids once month a month regardless

OP
OP
XJ2JTChris

XJ2JTChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all. As for fluid check, i do have the auto 8spd and just read owners manual, no dipstick and says special tools required. I agree about driving it for a while to see if it "learns" maybe. Compass calibrated done! Right now I'm more concerned with the highway vibe. Will continue updating as I go.
Sponsored