Sponsored

Proximity door locks retrofit on Wrangler/Gladiator, someone figured it out (DIY writeup)

BlueCT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Well at least on a JL but I can’t see why this wouldn’t be possible on the JT.

Link: Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

I may try to figure out how to add a passive entry to the JT tailgate. With all this “work from home” time on my hands I’m going to have to do something before I go crazy. If anyone else gets motivated and figures it out please post your findings.

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored

windyridge89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Stingray Gladiator Maxtow
Ohhhh sweet. Now we need to create a dealer list that will do the updates

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)

Link: Proximity door locks retrofit install (instructions, parts, links) on JL Wrangler

I may try to figure out how to add a passive entry to the JT tailgate. With all this “work from home” time on my hands I’m going to have to do something before I go crazy. If anyone else gets motivated and figures it out please post your findings.

Thanks
Chris

The tailgate entry would be a nice add. Even if it is just a touch button added to unlock.
Unless it is discovered they added tailgate proximity feature to export models!
Interesting to read that some JL owners found the wiring was already present and just had to add the handles.

Sponsored

JeepRumbler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S, 2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I'm sharing this to help out since I just recently managed to add proximity to a 2019 JLU Sport S and a 2020 Gladiator Sport S. A lot of this is copied over from my post on the JL forum but is still applicable here.

The install has gone really smoothly. The entire Wrangler is done, and I only did the driver's side on the Gladiator (for science) so that we can get an answer to whether or not it will work without the entire system installed (it does). I checked, and it looks like my JLU and JT both have all the requisite antennas that were known to exist on the Sahara and Rubicon, so check on that. I did not have the harnesses that support the handle on either Jeep, but the install is pretty simple, and the parts are relatively cheap. I will make a video on this when I add it to the other side of the Gladiator.

Hardware = done, but now it's time for the hard part. Getting this enabled in your computer is a bit of a chore, and one that I'm still working, but I think I have licked now (knock on wood). I first attempted it with the Jscan OBD app as it has been mentioned that it had a proximity setting that could be triggered. Whenever I altered the setting with the 7-inch radio, the proximity setting popped up under the doors and locks page, and I thought I had a simple way to get this done. Unfortunately, the setting would not take. I think it is because it enables it on the radio group, but doesn't program the RF module to be looking for the keys to trigger the locks from the handles. As a side note, on my 8.4-inch radio, the setting wouldn't ever appear from the Jscan, so that was a very dead end.

I had also reached out to Tazer since that's what I have been using to calibrate for the tire size on the Gladiator to ask if they wanted me to test out any firmware that might enable the option since we know that it can be done now. I never heard back from them on that. Not a knock on them since I'm sure they get tons of messages about features, and there's no way for them to vet it all.

This left me with the option of going to the dealer. We have seen that people have had mixed success with this, and I am no different here. My local dealer agreed to give it a shot, but communication with them has been hard since this seems to be such an unorthodox ask for them. Kudos for trying, but the first time I took it in and showed them this thread, they tried to program it from their system and told me that GXM was the only code that popped up and the couldn't add GXD. They gave me a number to call for Jeep corporate to have it added, but it was a dead-end on 3 separate calls, as they had no idea what I was talking about and thought I was trying to get an individual recall added.

At a dead end again, I found a dealership that had successfully done this in the past. The people up front on the phone had no idea what I was talking about but said they'd have the shop foreman give me a call. Surprisingly he did and explained to me what goes on behind the scenes for this. He has gotten this to work on Jeeps and Ram trucks that they have at the dealership. The dealers themselves can not add the GXD sales code because MOPAR doesn't sell a kit for the dealers to add it as an option. The dealers have to call either their technical advisor or their area manager in order for the code to be added from Chrysler. After that, once it's added in Chrysler's system, the dealer has to perform a restore vehicle configuration which is just a PCM flash like they would use to add any other software, and then it will appear.

Armed with this, I called two other local dealers, but they still had no idea how they would attempt this and told me it couldn't be done. I went back to my original dealer with these instructions, and they were still unable to make it happen for me. Luckily, the dealer I had spoken with that had done it offered to put me on his list to add it just to help me out. This will update the options for my VINs in the database and all my local dealership has to do is flash the system. He did say that he's working with Chrysler to get this added as an option for the dealers to be able to change without Chrysler's assistance, so there may be a much easier way in the future. It'll be no different than adding AUX switches or changing tire sizes. I am not listing the Service Center as they asked me not to since they can't handle all the traffic that would probably come from this, but they are working on making it easier for everyone.

The other dealer worked! I got my Gladiator back with only one handle on and the proximity works just like it was factory installed! I later got home and added the second handle (Seen below), and it worked right off the bat too.

This would be very difficult to add to the tailgate because of the way that it works. I'm sure someone much smarter than I could make it work, but I'd wager that you'll have much more effort in it than opening the tailgate for the rest of the time you own the truck.

TL;DR It is going to be very dealer dependant on whether you can get this to work or not. If it were not for me being slow at work due to COVID, I probably wouldn't have had the time to run all of this down.

Video is Linked Here

Last edited:

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Video is here:
Well done video. If folks can’t do this after watching your video, they probably shouldn’t be driving! A lot of folks, like @ShadowsPapa were disappointed this wasn’t available after purchase. Mopar should have a kit!

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Occupation
System Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks
Chris

I'd love to have it on my tailgate. First world problem, but I'd use it almost as much as the front doors.
I know it’s not exactly the same, but my proximity workaround is to just grab the passenger door handle, it unlocks all the doors and tailgate.

UglyViking

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC Sierra 1500 & 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I'm poking around on the different topics linked, and so far I'm not seeing anything on the key itself. Am I to assume that the standard keys are all setup for proximity?

JeepRumbler

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S, 2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I'm poking around on the different topics linked, and so far I'm not seeing anything on the key itself. Am I to assume that the standard keys are all setup for proximity?
They are. The antennas are always looking for your keys whenever they wake, and the system is already programmed to take your key, so your stock keys are ready for proximity whenever the hardware and sales code are added.

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I know it’s not exactly the same, but my proximity workaround is to just grab the passenger door handle, it unlocks all the doors and tailgate.
Yeah, that’s what I do. Actually, I have mine set so the drivers door also unlocks all the doors.

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
Well crap...There's one on the lot down the street from me. It's not configured exactly as I want but it's close. The one must have that is missing is the proximity locks.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well crap...There's one on the lot down the street from me. It's not configured exactly as I want but it's close. The one must have that is missing is the proximity locks.
Get them to flash it with the proximity code before you buy it... then you will be all set to add it at your leisure. Get it in writing that it is done ...
Sponsored