Its time to get bigger tires

JeepJunky

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave (Gator)
After two Jamborees, I see I really need something larger than my stock 33" Falken AT's.
I have a Mojave and would prefer to keep my shocks if possible.
I don't have an issue with the stock wheels.
Here is where my heads at:

35's or 37's.
Whatever an appropriate lift would be for those tires.
The determining factor between 35's and 37's is, Do i have to replace the shocks if I get 37''s but can keep the shocks if I buy 35's.
I have another Jamboree in June, so I don't have much time to get the work done.
I wonder:
Should I replace tires first, and upgrade lift later, or will tires rub, I I do that. (I disconnect sway bar)
Should I lift first, and do tires later?, does this make it unstable haling a lift with OE 33" tires?

Can I keep the original wheels with 35's or 37's ? If I need to change all these things, does some manufarurer. have a calculatr on their web site, o help me figure out what I need to purchase?

thanks for any advice.
Sponsored

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I’d do them (lift and tires) at the same time. If you do lift before the tires, it’s going to be even more funky looking than it is now on 33’s (it sounds like the appearance is the bigger issue to you). If you do the tires (35’s) first, you may run into rubbing issues.

Like they said…37’s…you’re talking a bigger budget and it sounds like even doing the 35’s and lift Is a stretch, so I’d pass on the 37’s if I were in your shoes.

As you’re already thinking 37’s though, I’d question whether or not 35’s is going to be a great “investment” for you.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
I’d do them (lift and tires) at the same time. If you do lift before the tires, it’s going to be even more funky looking than it is now on 33’s (it sounds like the appearance is the bigger issue to you). If you do the tires (35’s) first, you may run into rubbing issues.
35s won't rub on a Rubicon or a Mojave. They'll fit, out of the box. Some are running even 37s with no lift on a Mojave. I have a Rubi on 35s, so I don't know if that will rub or not. I'd think it would, if you disconnect especially. But 35s will definitely fit, no issues.

Sponsored

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
35s won't rub on a Rubicon or a Mojave. They'll fit, out of the box. Some are running even 37s with no lift on a Mojave. I have a Rubi on 35s, so I don't know if that will rub or not. I'd think it would, if you disconnect especially. But 35s will definitely fit, no issues.
Yeah…that’s what I was getting at. If you’re mall crawling, you’re probably going to be fine. If you’re going to disconnect the front sway bar and go wheeling like it sounds like the OP is going to be doing, you’re probably going to have some rubbing.

If you’re the typical Jeeper that doesn’t mind screwing your ride up (I.e. I once had a tire eat a fender)…yeah…go wheel your shit on stock suspension with 35”+ tires. 🤣

yoda13

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
The Mojave is fine stock with 35s, disconnected. I, have no experience with 37s, but I don’t think it would be rub free disconnected. Go with the AEV 2” lift. It will be great with 35s, or 37s.

The White Rabbit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Self Employed
So you say you have a Mojave, did you add sway bar disconnects? A stock Mojave can easily run 35’s no changes.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Yeah…that’s what I was getting at. If you’re mall crawling, you’re probably going to be fine. If you’re going to disconnect the front sway bar and go wheeling like it sounds like the OP is going to be doing, you’re probably going to have some rubbing.

If you’re the typical Jeeper that doesn’t mind screwing your ride up (I.e. I once had a tire eat a fender)…yeah…go wheel your shit on stock suspension with 35”+ tires. 🤣
You can wheel a Rubicon or a Mojave on stock suspension with 35s. They are designed to fit 35s. 37s might rub at full articulation on a Mojave, and definitely will on a stock Rubicon, but 35s will not. You can wheel to your heart's content on a stock Mojave or Rubicon with 35s and no other modifications. 35s just fit, no rubbing. I don't know if 37s will fit on a Mojave and allow you to disconnect, but 35s definitely will, even 100% stock otherwise. 35s do not not rub, they just fit.

Last edited:

Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
I plan to do mine one step at a time. 35’s will be first with no lift. Then I’ll lift it if I feel I need to. There are lifts that let you keep your shocks. AEV has one. Lots of threads here on the subject.

AZCooWhip

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
I kind of do, not gonna lie. But then I'd definitely need to regear (MT). Then I'd be down that rabbit hole... So, I'm happy with 35s.... Mostly.
Agree ...re-gearing is a must. I went with 4:88s and would never look back. JT responds “near perfect“ with the combo I went with.

Mind you, I compare daily to my wife’s JL that went 35s and left the 4:10s in. While good, the 4:88s would be awesome in hers as well.

We had a saying in road course racing ....”don’t fear the gear!” Same type of discussion in that forum as well.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Somewhere on here showed Rubicon at max articulation on 35s and they were about 1/4" from rubbing.

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Agree ...re-gearing is a must. I went with 4:88s and would never look back. JT responds “near perfect“ with the combo I went with.

Mind you, I compare daily to my wife’s JL that went 35s and left the 4:10s in. While good, the 4:88s would be awesome in hers as well.

We had a saying in road course racing ....”don’t fear the gear!” Same type of discussion in that forum as well.
Do you have 35s or 37s with the 488s?"
Sponsored