Sponsored

Jack Discussions Here

Which type of Jack best suits a 2" lifted JT on 37s?

• Total voters

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2014 Durango, 2020 Ibis Ripley
Vehicle Showcase
I could use some input on a jack ...

I've had my JT for 3wks. In addition to a slew of mods, I'm equipping it with a tool set, medical kit, and recovery gear. I'm still on the fence regarding a jack. The factory scissor jack is SCARY! Adding the Mopar 2" lift in my flat garage, the scissor jack twisted and fell. Fortunately, I was only using it as a secondary jack along with my garage floor jack to lift one side of an axle for better alignment of bolt holes. But, there's NO WAY I would trust that thing during a tire change or anything else on the trail!

I'm leaning toward a bottle jack, but I'm also considering an exhaust jack. I will need to be able to change a 37" tire with the 2" Mopar lift and a 0.75" front spacer.

Factory scissor jack (Pros: compact) (Cons: not stable, limited height)
vs
Hi Lift jack (Pros: height range, versatile tool) (Cons: bulky, not stable)
vs
Bottle jack (Pros: stable, reasonably compact) (Cons: limited height)
vs
Exhaust air jack (Pros: height range, stable) (Cons: bulky, less durable than mechanical jacks)
vs
any other options?
Sponsored

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Are you trying to lift from the axle or from the frame? The scissor is for axle lifting.

The hi-lift is primarily a bumper jack but you can get a wheel lift hook for lifting from the wheel, I'd recomend you always use a jack board and blocking/cribbing once lifted. Something a 12"x12"x3" built up as cross laid plywood and some sections of 4x4 or 6x6 to block with.

Bottle jacks are handy buy heavy and id still recomend a jack board and blocking.

Exhaust jacks are very cool and very handy for offroad righting etc but there are better and faster ways to change tires and they are bulky for everyday carry.

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
In my JK, I carry a 2-1/2 floor jack under the rear seat. Yeah, everyone chuckles at that--until someone needs a jack. And I haven't met the soul yet who prefers a scissor jack, Hi-Lift or bottle jack to a floor jack. But, for the JT I've picked up something a little bit different, a bottle jack and jack stand all in one. It's safer than, say, depending on a tire under the frame even when the Jeep is lifted on that floor jack--as it was in the middle of nowhere, Idaho*, a couple years ago running the TransAmerica Trail when my buddy lost a caliper bolt on his JK. Here's the "unijack" I bought ...

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-6...1&keywords=unijack+4000&qid=1586875638&sr=8-1

In case you're interested in the rest of that story about the lost caliper bolt, here's one (of many hours) of the videos about that trip. 9:43 if nor forwarded ...

* I haven't quite figured out how the middle of nowhere is in Idaho, but there it was, even through the other side of this sign says "Nowhere", and it's in Texas! Yeah, that's my buddy Ray there, too. We get around. When you do get around places like Nowhere, you need real tools for real troubles on the road ...

West Texas Traverse, Oct 14, Matt's Image, Group Shot at The Other Side of Nowhere.jpg

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
Anyone who recommends a hi-lift for general jack use needs to pass left. They're a great off-road tool for positioning the rig but they are the worst choice for lifting a vehicle to do work. Bottle jack with a base and axle cradle is the only way to go IMO for a standard jack. The hi-lift is a supplement.

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
The Hi-Lift would have to be at least the 60" model because you would lift the Jeep very high, until the suspension is fully extended, before it would lift the tire off the ground. I made a retainer for the jack in my front and rear trailer receiver hitches from a piece of 2x2x.25 box tubing, with the end cut at an angle and 3/8" piece welded in so the jack would not slip out/off. I could also use the rear tow hooks as jacking positions. The Rock Hard angled up skids should also work. The point of this is that you have to set up multiple jacking positions beforehand if you are going to carry a Hi-Lift jack.
I carry pieces of wood, about 10-12" square, so I can set up a bottle jack under the axle somewhere accessible and use its full range of lift if needed. Again, more involved that just carrying a jack. I also have an extended pipe so I can jack up the JT without being deep under it.
I also carry a Harbor Freight compact floor jack. It has a greater range of lift and decent stability. However, on it and on the bottle jack, I made adapters to cradle the Jeep part I would be lifting from, so the jack would not slip off
I voted for the bottle jack as I believe it will be more generally useful and safe, but I also carry a Hi-Lift just in case. I have no experience with an exhaust jack.

Donato

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator (current), 2013 Wrangler (sold)
Depends on intended use. Make sure you aren't using a recovery style jack to do work at home.

As far as recovery jacks go, you may want to look into the new(ish) ARB. Its kind of a cross between a bottle jack and a hi-lift.

https://arbusa.com/recovery/arb-jack/

OP
OP
msujedi

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you trying to lift from the axle or from the frame?
The goal is a universal set-up to cover my bases while remaining as minimal as possible regarding space & cost. In my garage I've needed to jack from the axle at times as well as from the frame depending on what work I was doing (always using wheel chocks and jack stands).

I have only been off-roading 15-20 times in the past few years. Though, I plan on going more frequently. I have never needed a jack while off-road. :fingerscrossed: I've crossed streams, been in mud, in sand, and on rocks. I'm sure I will eventually need to use a jack, and it could be on any of those terrain types.

The unijack @Mark Doiron suggested is interesting, but I might prefer the jack separated from the jack stand (or whatever I use to block/crib). While the electric floor jack @Mr._Bill mentioned is also interesting, I think I'll stay away from an electric option due to the high cost and rare instance I may need to use it in water.

I imagine the most likely scenario is that I would be jacking from an axle. However, I can imagine a scenario in which I might need to jack from the frame too (in the case of a suspension issue). The 8T bottle jack I'm looking at has a range of 9" - 18". On the low end, I'd be able to get it under the axle. At the high end, it'll need an extension to raise the tire off of the ground using a point on the frame. Rather than extensions, would it be better to build up a base plate with crib materials to gain the extra lift?

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Make sure you bring a jack that will fit with the tire flat!
A good reason to not leave your OEM jack back home. At least to get it off the ground. Another good reason is, you need the jack handle to get your spare tire down. Or, if you're a properly equipped off-roader, you may be able to air it up long enough to fit a better jack.

Sponsored

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
In my JK, I carry a 2-1/2 floor jack under the rear seat. Yeah, everyone chuckles at that--until someone needs a jack. And I haven't met the soul yet who prefers a scissor jack, Hi-Lift or bottle jack to a floor jack. But, for the JT I've picked up something a little bit different, a bottle jack and jack stand all in one. It's safer than, say, depending on a tire under the frame even when the Jeep is lifted on that floor jack--as it was in the middle of nowhere, Idaho*, a couple years ago running the TransAmerica Trail when my buddy lost a caliper bolt on his JK. Here's the "unijack" I bought ...

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-6...1&keywords=unijack+4000&qid=1586875638&sr=8-1

In case you're interested in the rest of that story about the lost caliper bolt, here's one (of many hours) of the videos about that trip. 9:43 if nor forwarded ...

* I haven't quite figured out how the middle of nowhere is in Idaho, but there it was, even through the other side of this sign says "Nowhere", and it's in Texas! Yeah, that's my buddy Ray there, too. We get around. When you do get around places like Nowhere, you need real tools for real troubles on the road ...

West Texas Traverse, Oct 14, Matt's Image, Group Shot at The Other Side of Nowhere.jpg
Enjoyed that series ... and that video specifically with the Middle Fork Boise being my back yard!

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew

I have two of these in the 3-ton (6000 pound) variety. It's all I've used for the last 10 years and I love them.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
msujedi

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
I do like the concept. But, it seems like actual travel on these is 6.25". Given a flat 37" tire on 17" rims, I'm thinking I will need over 10" of travel to raise the axle enough to get a spare put on. Am I thinking about this wrong?
Agreed, use on replacing a larger tire would require some kind of 2-stage effort. Go up then block things up so you can get another bite buy extending the jack and lift again. Two of these side by side can be used like that. The short lift range helps to keep them shorter to fit under tighter spots. I use them in my garage a lot even with two floor jacks handy. A bit faster than the floor jack and jack stand process. Like any tool, each has its place. I don’t claim these are the best of all, but the suckers are ham dandy and wish I had discovered them long before I did.

I look forward to seeing what you find.
Sponsored