First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Saw a couple of posts in old threads that asked the same question. No definitive answer. So does anybody have any solid answer? Its a Sport S EcoDiesel. Stock bumpers. I did get a set of Rubi take off rock rails. Are they strong enough for lift points? Real world use and pictures would be helpful.
Sponsored

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I'm not sure I would trust the rock rails for 2 tons plus. The manual shows the jack points and I'd stick to those unless there is a reason you can't use those.

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation

Sponsored

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
while you'd have to get creative with some strap setups for minor/light vertical lifts, i primarily carry mine to use as a come-along instead of having a winch. The hi-lift can pull as well as lift. Obviously not as good as a winch, but better than nothing for something inexpensive and relatively lightweight

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
I'm not sure I would trust the rock rails for 2 tons plus. The manual shows the jack points and I'd stick to those unless there is a reason you can't use those.
some times out in the dirt you don't get a choice of where you jack. You have to some times pick between a known soft spot and a maybe hard spot. The rock rails are a most likely hard spot if option A and B don't exist.

And generally speaking hi-lifts are sketchy as hell to use and always seem to be on the edge of losing balance.

Next bumper I get i am going to make sure to cut out some hi-lift notches.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu121/unlimicon/cutout3.jpg
https://www.rubiconownersforum.com/threads/hi-lift-bumper-cutouts.55334/

or do something like this with some tubes welded in for the insert.

http://pronghorngear.com/product/hi-lift-shackle/

OP
OP
Free2roam

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
some times out in the dirt you don't get a choice of where you jack. You have to some times pick between a known soft spot and a maybe hard spot. The rock rails are a most likely hard spot if option A and B don't exist.

And generally speaking hi-lifts are sketchy as hell to use and always seem to be on the edge of losing balance.

Next bumper I get i am going to make sure to cut out some hi-lift notches.

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu121/unlimicon/cutout3.jpg
https://www.rubiconownersforum.com/threads/hi-lift-bumper-cutouts.55334/

or do something like this with some tubes welded in for the insert.

http://pronghorngear.com/product/hi-lift-shackle/
Great read on the Rubi forum. Like that pronghorn recovery shackle. I think I could get one set up straight off the bumper shackle point.

HooliganActual

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
huh, does anyone actually use a high lift in the real world? I thought they were pretty much just hood and bed ornaments.
They’re fashion statements for the most part and very few situations offroad need them. People use them at times but they’re not needed. I have one in my garage I bought 10yrs ago and I’ve never used it. Generally a stock jack with jack base and/or bottle jack works in most cases.

Sponsored

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I bought one new. Used the crap out of it. About to rebuild it for the first time (kit is sitting on the counter in the mud room waiting for an opportunity to get it done). At a certain point, grease just isn't enough to keep the pins moving like they're supposed to, and it doesn't like coming down under load. Admittedly, I use it around the property more than anything. Lots of XL granite boulders needing to be moved, and just lil ol' me. I've used it as a winch in vehicular applications, but haven't had an occasion to use it as a jack.

Pro tip: you can tell when one has been used because the faces of the bar (not the sides with the holes) have their paint stripped off. The one pictured below has not seen much use.

Jeep Gladiator Jacking points on JT for Hi Lift jack? LMTruck3-768x1024

usnavycdr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Willys Sport S, 99 WJ
Occupation
Psych RN

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
If you have stock bumpers I don't think any spot is solid enough to use a Hi-lift jack on other than the receiver hitch. But that's not good to lift by. If you have after market bumpers with shackles you can lift with them, that's what I have done on my LJ and XJ or the rock rails I have on them. I agree with Texanjeeper that stock Rubicon rock rails might not be up to it.

I bought one new. Used the crap out of it. About to rebuild it for the first time (kit is sitting on the counter in the mud room waiting for an opportunity to get it done). At a certain point, grease just isn't enough to keep the pins moving like they're supposed to, and it doesn't like coming down under load. Admittedly, I use it around the property more than anything. Lots of XL granite boulders needing to be moved, and just lil ol' me. I've used it as a winch in vehicular applications, but haven't had an occasion to use it as a jack.

Pro tip: you can tell when one has been used because the faces of the bar (not the sides with the holes) have their paint stripped off. The one pictured below has not seen much use.

Jeep Gladiator Jacking points on JT for Hi Lift jack? LMTruck3-768x1024
Both of my Hi-lift jacks have the wear you said about used ones 👍 normally if a Hi-lift jack is going to break it's the first use or when it's been abused, my first one broke on first use a bad casting an a part. I've still got two in use. If your going to have one it's worth while to get a Jack Mate or the Hi-lift Extreme for more uses. A Hi-lift has more uses than as a jack, with it you could probably change a ball joint even.

Screenshot_20210531-030759~2.png

PaulW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21JKUR
High Lift jacks are not meant for jacking up the rig. They are intended to be used as a recovery device. Sure you can adapt them for jacking with adapters, but do you really want to do that? They are probably the most unsafe thing that has ever been sold?
Get a bottle jack for lifting the truck for tire changes and for getting off that rock the you are stuck on.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
huh, does anyone actually use a high lift in the real world? I thought they were pretty much just hood and bed ornaments.
That's why I can't help but laugh at all he brand new jacks on Jeeps around here with stock bumpers and rails... I mean, where the hell are you going to stick the thing that it's of any use if you actually need to use it?
Sponsored