Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator/ 20 AMG GLB 35/ 02 Ranger/ 06 BMW M3
Occupation
Laboratory and Medical Supplies
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/06/23/jeep-gladiator-392-news/

V8-powered Jeep Gladiator 392 sure seems like it's on the way
If it fits in the Wrangler, it fits in the Gladiator

June 23, 2021

Jeep isn't done spreading the V8 gospel across its range, according to a recent report. One of its top executives pointed out there's a big demand for a V8-powered Gladiator, and we already know the engine fits in the Wrangler.

"If you scour the forums, there are tons of people that I'm sure would love to buy a V8 Gladiator," affirmed Brandon Grimus, the Gladiator line's senior brand manager, in an interview with enthusiast site Muscle Cars & Trucks.

While that's not a firm commitment to stuffing the 6.4-liter between the Gladiator's fenders, it's a statement that shows Jeep is keeping tabs on its fan base's wish list. And, luckily, making a V8-powered Gladiator is reasonably simple. The pickup is very closely related to the Wrangler, which was designed with an eight-cylinder engine in mind from the get-go. Released in late 2020, the Wrangler 392 develops 470 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque. It's the first factory-built V8-powered Wrangler (though CJs were offered with a V8), and it takes 4.5 seconds to reach 60 mph from a stop. We called it "a loud, boisterous, badass example of fan service" after driving it.

Grimus explained Jeep is increasingly following the path blazed by the aftermarket.

"The crowd requesting a V8-powered Wrangler, its voice has gotten progressively louder over the last 10 years. And, just to give you an idea of how much demand there is for a V8, there were seven aftermarket companies across the country doing V8 upfits at a really, really high price with no factory warranty or engineering. Most of them have wait lists of over a year. We might as well take some of that business," he pointed out.

Jeep is carrying off the aftermarket's lunch money in other areas as well. Earlier in 2021, we reported the Wrangler and the Gladiator will likely be offered with an optional windshield made out of Gorilla Glass, a feature already offered by several third-party companies. Half doors made a long-awaited comeback in February 2021, and more updates could be announced at the 2021 edition of the Chicago auto show, which is opening its doors in July.

At the other end of the spectrum, the Gladiator might receive the 4xe plug-in hybrid powertrain also inaugurated by the Wrangler. Here again, it's a decision that makes sense: what fits in the Wrangler normally fits in the Gladiator, and offering a feature (whether it's an engine or a windshield) in both lets Jeep benefit from economies of scale. Besides, for the first time in decades, Jeep's off-roaders have a serious rival to worry about: the Ford Bronco.
Sponsored

Willpower1

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody
Occupation
Physical Therapist
Hey Jeep, please give us a 5.7 Hemi for a reasonable price like in the Ram, instead of just the apeshit but largely impractical for many of us 392. I promise you an option like that will sell like hot cakes. Much as I love my Mojave, I’ll trade it tomorrow for one PRECISELY like it with a 5.7.

Sponsored

TommyGp

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 EcoDiesel Rubicon
Occupation
at a job
Im a mor powah guy. Trying to figure out where i would use it in a gladiator. Tow ratings would be lower i guess. Max payload would be lower.
I would expect it to be similar ratings as the diesel. My JTRD loses 1,000 lbs of tow rating due to the diesel. The V8 might actually fare a bit better since it doesn't have the turbo heat to deal with. Heat rejection is the biggest issue on the diesel, and my instincts tell me without that we would have very similar ratings as the 3.6 versions if we had the power to maintain speed on grade, which the V8 would have for sure.

Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Agreed, I don't need the crazy power of the 392. The 5.7L would be fine and also make it a more practical up-charge like most manufacturers, not some bullshit 30K $ raping. I'm thinking $2-3K option.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Give us a twin turbo V-6 similar to the Ford 2.7 Ecoboost and I'll be first in line. Plenty of hp and torque for off-roading and towing. And decent gas mileage.
Plans to turbo the pentastar were scrapped.

Fca was working on a new I6 based on the 2.0, with tighter cylinder spacing and other changes, such that it was supposed to be only 3" longer than the Tigershark engine.

Expected to be turbocharged with outputs ranging from 300 to 500+ hp.

Haven't heard much new info though, and it was originally rumored to launch in the new GC, so it seems it's been pushed back.

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1931 Model A, 1999 Evo Chopper.
Man, I want that V8, but after just buying the V6 it would be hard to trade-in right away. The good news is in 2/3-years the V8 should be a lower price option and all the first-year bugs worked out. I hope it launches in the 2022 models so I can trade in for a V8 in 2024.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Plans to turbo the pentastar were scrapped.

Fca was working on a new I6 based on the 2.0, with tighter cylinder spacing and other changes, such that it was supposed to be only 3" longer than the Tigershark engine.

Expected to be turbocharged with outputs ranging from 300 to 500+ hp.

Haven't heard much new info though, and it was originally rumored to launch in the new GC, so it seems it's been pushed back.
Really, hmmmm , an I6 would be very interesting.
Sponsored