Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
http://www.toledoblade.com/Automotive/2017/11/30/More-coming-from-Jeep-than-new-Wrangler.html

Nov 30, 2017

LOS ANGELES — While the focus at the Los Angeles Auto Show has rightly been on the all-new 2018 Jeep Wrangler, that vehicle is only part of the company’s larger strategy for growing the brand in North America and around the world.

Early next year, a refreshed version of the Jeep Cherokee is scheduled to debut, followed in 2019 by a Wrangler-based pickup truck.

That pickup, which has not yet publicly been given a name, will be built in Toledo in the same part of the Toledo Assembly Complex that’s building the current version of the Wrangler.

Once the current Wrangler is phased out — it’s unclear when that will happen, though Fiat Chrysler has said it will be in the first half of next year — the company will get to work revamping the assembly line for the first Jeep truck in a quarter-century.

“Already the anticipation for that pickup truck is building and building,” Jeep CEO Mike Manley told The Blade at the Los Angeles Auto Show Wednesday. “Now for the first time we’re able to return Jeep to a portfolio it had with a pickup truck and I’m incredibly pleased the way the design’s come together and where it’s going to be manufactured.”

Though the Jeep faithful have been clamoring for a Wrangler-based pickup for years, analysts have questioned how large the market really will be for a rugged, off-road capable pickup.

Various automotive forecasters have told The Blade they can’t see the truck selling more than 30,000 to 45,000 units a year.

Jeep officials won’t put a number to their expectations, but they are much more bullish than that on their upcoming truck.

“Now, I have a degree of insider knowledge they don't,” Mr. Manley said, “but from my perspective the opportunity for that vehicle in our portfolio is really quite significant.”

Jeep’s global sales have risen every year since 2009, going from fewer than 400,000 units to more than 1.4 million in 2016. Executives with Jeep parent company Fiat Chrysler Automobiles said this summer they believe they can hit their goal of selling 2 million Jeeps globally next year.

The Wrangler is an important part of that, no doubt, but it still only represented about 17 percent of the brand’s total shipments last year, based on an analysis from IHS Markit. And while IHS does believe Wrangler sales will increase with the new model, the company still expects 85 percent of total Wrangler sales will be the North American market come 2020.

Jeep also has committed to launching a pair of full-size sport utility vehicles, the Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer, by the end of 2020.
Sponsored

Xtreme Thunder

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Jeep, Chevrolet
I agree, going to be a long year for sure. Now that we have some high resolution shots of the JL/JLU, while we are waiting, I need something new to feast my eyes on. I request some new updated high quality Gladiator renderings!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking back at the JL forum and saw some of my posts where from Sept 2016, I can't believe I have been on the forum for over a year, but now have to do it all over again waiting on the Gladiator. At least there are things to look at on the JL forum to us over. I hope they start showing more the pick up soon and that it doesnt get dragged till December of 2018 like the JL did.

Last edited by a moderator:

SKT

First Name
SKT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

Agreed, it’s gonna be a long wait.

Hopefully we start seeing some more leaked pics of test mules.

Sponsored

JLUfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon
With a longer wheelbase, longer frame, and presumably more room for different equipment underneath, is there any chance we will see a manual transmission with the diesel on the JT?

JCC

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Overland Diesel, 1982 CJ8 Scrambler
With a longer wheelbase, longer frame, and presumably more room for different equipment underneath, is there any chance we will see a manual transmission with the diesel on the JT?
The general consensus seems to be that there will be no manual option with the diesel given the size, weight, and other factors required of a manual transmission that would stand up to the torque of the diesel. I'm sure @The Great Grape Ape can jump in with specifics.

JLUfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon
Yes; he has already lamented in another thread about the unlikely nature of a manual transmission.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I think thats right about the TQ and I think there is something about having to recertify the motor if combined with the manual trans. And Jeep will most likely not go through that process for just the pickup.

JLUfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon
It just kills me, because there are all kinds of manual transmissions available that will stand up to the torque output of the diesel. Even FCA uses one in the 2500 Ram, and whatever they put in the Viper is obviously strong enough as well. I really do not want to have to settle for the Pentastar in order to get my cherished manual transmission. Please hear us, Jeep!
Sponsored