"Jeep Could Axe Diesel Engines By 2030, Will Try To Preserve V8s"

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
<<< Surprised they didn't just come out & say no diesels by 2024.
Best enjoy 'em while you can.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
there will be a new wrangler/gladiator platform by then.
based on what I’ve heard that new platform won’t have any engine availble on the platforms now

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
Per Stelantis's "Green" release, there may not be any internal combustion Jeeps by 2030.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
“So to answer the question bluntly, I love V8s, but I love electrification even more, because it can give me more acceleration, more power, [and] more torque in a better package, without hurting the planet. So I think it’s a better solution longer term,” he concluded.

But he's leaving out some critically important points. What electrification cannot do is allow you to "refill" your truck in 5 minutes on any street corner in America, nor can it travel 500+ miles on a single "fill". And until it can do those things, which are a L O N G way off, it will never go mainstream in this country. If you take away a guy's diesel truck and tell him, "Here is an EV to replace it" he will revolt. People will not go for that in the U.S. Americans are lazy and want convenience and fun. There's nothing convenient or fun about owning an EV.

Furthermore he's leaving out the fact that while driving an EV reduces or eliminates emissions, the factory that builds them is producing more emissions than they used to when they made ICE cars. So in the end, there isn't ANY benefit to the planet. It's a wash. Lithium mining is horrible for the earth, and disposal of batteries is horrible for the earth, and waste from manufacturing facilities of EVs is also horrible for the earth.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
there are some other advantages to EVs that most people do’t yet realize
1) the chemistry is changing and improving. By 2030 it’s quite possible that there’s very little lithium used compared to today.
2) the batteries life expectancy is already dramatically improved and surely will continue to do so. I expect 200k mile warranties to start arriving on them in a few years and that them lasting 500k miles to not be surprising soon after
3) the drive motors in several evs are already thought to last 1M miles. Don’t expect much improvement there as that‘s outlasting the vehicle itself in lots of climate regions
4) cost of ownership is much less as there are no belts, nearly no hoses, brakes last 4x as long, no lubricants to change and the fuel itself is much less, no intake or filter to be concerned with swapping or water intrusion
5) the lower cog itself decreases stresses on suspension and frame
6) the batteries when in need of replacement can go on to live an entire second life as backup batteries on homes and businesses and after 10-15 years there will be recyclable to some degree.

envison a 20 year old buying his/her first Jeep and then never needing another vehicle again. most people don’t drive 1M miles in a lifetime. I personally can’t wait to see the first EV wrangler on 40s embrass a v8 sports car or climb a 50* slope

Heres a little peak at some of the advantages a Jeep might have
https://ranger.polaris.com/en-us/new-electric-ranger/

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
I think @TheSolarWizard is right, just give the platform some time. EVs can be bad for the environment, but the only way to figure out how to do them properly is to keep investing in the tech - it will eventually pay off.

But to @WXman's point, I'm not convinced that no ICE is the right answer either. There needs to be a quick way to refuel.

I'm just really excited to see what the future might bring.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
“So to answer the question bluntly, I love V8s, but I love electrification even more, because it can give me more acceleration, more power, [and] more torque in a better package, without hurting the planet. So I think it’s a better solution longer term,” he concluded.

But he's leaving out some critically important points. What electrification cannot do is allow you to "refill" your truck in 5 minutes on any street corner in America, nor can it travel 500+ miles on a single "fill". And until it can do those things, which are a L O N G way off, it will never go mainstream in this country. If you take away a guy's diesel truck and tell him, "Here is an EV to replace it" he will revolt. People will not go for that in the U.S. Americans are lazy and want convenience and fun. There's nothing convenient or fun about owning an EV.

Furthermore he's leaving out the fact that while driving an EV reduces or eliminates emissions, the factory that builds them is producing more emissions than they used to when they made ICE cars. So in the end, there isn't ANY benefit to the planet. It's a wash. Lithium mining is horrible for the earth, and disposal of batteries is horrible for the earth, and waste from manufacturing facilities of EVs is also horrible for the earth.
there are some other advantages to EVs that most people do’t yet realize
1) the chemistry is changing and improving. By 2030 it’s quite possible that there’s very little lithium used compared to today.
2) the batteries life expectancy is already dramatically improved and surely will continue to do so. I expect 200k mile warranties to start arriving on them in a few years and that them lasting 500k miles to not be surprising soon after
3) the drive motors in several evs are already thought to last 1M miles. Don’t expect much improvement there as that‘s outlasting the vehicle itself in lots of climate regions
4) cost of ownership is much less as there are no belts, nearly no hoses, brakes last 4x as long, no lubricants to change and the fuel itself is much less, no intake or filter to be concerned with swapping or water intrusion
5) the lower cog itself decreases stresses on suspension and frame
6) the batteries when in need of replacement can go on to live an entire second life as backup batteries on homes and businesses and after 10-15 years there will be recyclable to some degree.

envison a 20 year old buying his/her first Jeep and then never needing another vehicle again. most people don’t drive 1M miles in a lifetime. I personally can’t wait to see the first EV wrangler on 40s embrass a v8 sports car or climb a 50* slope

Heres a little peak at some of the advantages a Jeep might have
https://ranger.polaris.com/en-us/new-electric-ranger/
They just need to work on the range.

Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
This may make me sound like an idiot - but let me have a couple of smaller top-up batteries in the trunk that are universal and can be swapped out on the fly. They can only be used to recharge the main battery, so they're always empty first and easy to replace. Just have a core charge for them and be done with it. You'll be incentivized to use a traditional plug to charge, but not tethered to it when you don't want to be.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation

that’s true and billions of dollars in R&D is directed at that.
that new lightning is going to be a good bellwether because while 300 miles of range with 1500lbs of cargo is good, more people will want 400 and everyone is on board at 500 especially when 300KW+ charge rates arrive. Keeping in mind also that while needing to refuel from E to F on the road might not ever be as fast as pumping 32 gallons of fuel, a fuel tank every morning leaving the house saves an immense amount of time for most people overall.

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
It's OK with me as long as its supported by all the major trusted networks and our government. Save me the details though because Iam busy with sportsball.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
that’s true and billions of dollars in R&D is directed at that.
that new lightning is going to be a good bellwether because while 300 miles of range with 1500lbs of cargo is good, more people will want 400 and everyone is on board at 500 especially when 300KW+ charge rates arrive. Keeping in mind also that while needing to refuel from E to F on the road might not ever be as fast as pumping 32 gallons of fuel, a fuel tank every morning leaving the house saves an immense amount of time for most people overall.
500 would be nice as that would give you a number of days of driving local without having to charge up if you didn't have the opportunity to. Give me a 500 mile range and then kick in to gas if beyond that then you would have sweet spot.
Sponsored