Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Howdy, in the past I've requested that dealers not wash the exterior on any new vehicles we've purchased. I had a bad experience many years ago which ended up resulting in 2 weekends worth of paint correction before I could even apply any wax (back then, now on ceramic) from a dealership prepping a brand new car using what appeared to be brooms to wash it.

This will be my first brand new Jeep. I've purchased a handful of used Jeeps in the past but never brand spanking new. Would you say it's appropriate to request this? I have no idea how Jeep dealers prep their exteriors, is it touch free or do they just single bucket wash it with some random brush?

My priority will be getting a few coats of ceramic on it before we hit any trails so I'm just trying to get a game plan in order. I applied 2 coats of CQuartz UK 3.0 on our 4Runner and dirt/dust/salt-spray/dried-mud etc. just melts off with light pressure.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I've done this as well. Request no prep. Never been an issue. I have had pushback when they tried to charge me for it despite not having done it though. I think of it, and tell them, it's like unwrapping an Xmas present.

Unwrapping the present is part of it, but a lot of dealers install security devices on every vehicle in inventory as part of their prep. This is my big reason. I can't remember which vehicle it was exactly (or even if it was one of mine), but I remember a car once with a non-start condition that beat the hell out of me and a buddy. We went through absolutely EVERYTHING. It took us a while to get to the point where we were chasing every inch of the harness, and finally got under the "stock, never touched" dash. Found a little device that was not on any schematics, didn't look factory, no one knew where it came from. Pulled it, and the car started immediately as if nothing was amiss. Failed dealer security device. Never again.

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
I very politely, tell the dealer to not allow their detail guys anywhere near my vehicle after it is offloaded from the tractor trailer truck at the dealership.

I also tell them NOT to install the front bumper license plate holder/ drill or screw into the bumper.

I tell them it is ok to have the Tech do what they MUST do and no more...

Basically, I very politely and very firmly, tell the Sales Manager and Sales person and also the Service Manager to have their people leave my vehicle alone... hands off, or I may not go through with the purchase.. and that I will be letting the manufacturer know exactly, how they handled my requests... and about my experience at that dealership.

I politely put the fear of God into them so to speak..

I buy many new vehicles and never once have I had anyone at a dealership not honor my request... most admit they totally understand my valid concerns.. They know that I would walk if they did not honor my requests.
Same here. They weren't very happy w/me when I told them to remove the little dealer logo/sticker they put on it, plus I paid cash for a 3 option (towing, posi and engine block heater) Sport that I ordered. The deal almost crashed when I gave them my credit card the day I picked it up.
Sponsored