First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Saw a Jeep ad on TV for the Gladiator claiming it was the #1 mid-sized truck. I thought WOW can that be true with all the unsold inventory I've seen on lots then again the $10,000+ discounts maybe it's true.

So i did few Google searches and it is far from the truth. In terms of trucks, its #8 and far down the list in number of sales. But that was all trucks. So dug a bit more.

Toyota Tacoma is #1 midsized truck selling more than 150,000 more Tacos than Gladiators.

#2 is the Chevy Colorado (does not include GMC Canyon sales)

#3 Jeep Gladiator BUT it barely beat out the Nissan Frontier and the Ford Maverick for the #3 spot

What was surprising was the Ford Ranger sold 20,000 less units than the Gladiator. I thought the Ranger would have been riding the coat tails of the F-150, the #1 selling truck in America out selling the Gladiator by nearly 600,000 units but Apples and Oranges since the F-150 is a full size truck.

Just goes to show that you cannot believe the advertising claims by any company because when you end up fact checking, they tend to be not entirely true. I'm sure the Gladiator is #1 in some category of mid-sized trucks but not in total sales.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I thought WOW can that be true with all the unsold inventory I've seen on lots
You are speculating that those are long unsold - take a look around the local Ford and Chevy dealers here - lots of trucks. Would you call those unsold inventory? If you go back in a month and see the lot is still full - is that unsold inventory, or are those trucks delivered since you last drove by?
The Gladiator doesn't stay on the lots long here. Sure, each time you drive by or drive through, you see them - but my recent dealer visits have shown me that the trucks I saw a few weeks ago aren't the same ones I'm seeing now.

#1 midsize - what? In sales like you suggest? It ratings by auto blogs or magazines? In initial quality?
What you are referring to - was Jeep REALLY saying #1 SELLING, or could it be they meant #1 rated?
You are going by sales figures, but - maybe Jeep is going by some rating system, such as Forbes, which says Jeep Gladiator is #2 -
Jeep Gladiator Jeep Gladiator #1 Mid-sized Truck ??? 1700370933263

Or maybe Jeep was referencing this site when they said Gladiator was the #1 midsize truck.
Unless you read or heard them say "best selling" - they may not have been lying - look at the scores here. Jeep beat the others by a fair margin:

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Gladiator #1 Mid-sized Truck ??? 1700371131470

Or did they go on to say for initial quality?

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Gladiator #1 Mid-sized Truck ??? 1700371342735

ErylFlynn

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkn Mojave, 2008 JK Unlimited Det Yellow
If you want to verify how long they have been on site go check out caredge.com and do a search. The dealers here in Washington who have Gladiators have alot and MANY over 200 days on lot, and some over 300.

OP
OP
steelponycowboy

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
1700371131470.pngapa, post: 1215264, member: 25284"]
You are speculating that those are long unsold - take a look around the local Ford and Chevy dealers here - lots of trucks. Would you call those unsold inventory? If you go back in a month and see the lot is still full - is that unsold inventory, or are those trucks delivered since you last drove by?
The Gladiator doesn't stay on the lots long here. Sure, each time you drive by or drive through, you see them - but my recent dealer visits have shown me that the trucks I saw a few weeks ago aren't the same ones I'm seeing now.

#1 midsize - what? In sales like you suggest? It ratings by auto blogs or magazines? In initial quality?
What you are referring to - was Jeep REALLY saying #1 SELLING, or could it be they meant #1 rated?
You are going by sales figures, but - maybe Jeep is going by some rating system, such as Forbes, which says Jeep Gladiator is #2 -

Or maybe Jeep was referencing this site when they said Gladiator was the #1 midsize truck.
Unless you read or heard them say "best selling" - they may not have been lying - look at the scores here. Jeep beat the others by a fair margin:

Or did they go on to say for initial quality?

[/QUOTE]
Don't know know what they were really trying to say just said #1 mid-sized truck. The reason for the lower prices on used and huge discounts on new is due to low demand and excess inventory due to low demand. Just stating the facts as I found them when it relates to #1. As for the Frontier and Ridgeline they were both at the bottom of the barrel and below the JT. The telling numbers are the Tacoma which is the undisputed number 1. I appreciate your loyalty and sticking up for the JT but the numbers are what they are.

GeneralMaximus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM

Sponsored

ZoMojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTM (sold) '23 WL74
Never count out the Honda Ridgeline. Some may call them not a real truck but to clarify, not a real off-road truck.

But the sales numbers don't lie and are rapidly approaching a record breaking 50K+ units by the end of 2023 (comparing its own sales history) and with a mid-cycle refresh for MY24, it looks to gain more ground while quietly building a very strong customer base for the non-off roadies and pavement dwellers that seek the comfort and functionality of a light duty mid-sized truck.

Key Stats
How many Ridgeline did Honda sell in 2023?
Honda sold 43,701 Ridgeline in 2023. (From Jan - Oct 2023)
How many Ridgeline did Honda sell in October 2023?
Honda sold 4,133 Ridgeline in October 2023.

Wildtoad

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
Occupation
Retired, former mainframe computer bit twiddler
It's always in the "Fine Print". Sometimes being #1 means the best, sometimes it's not so good. A state being #1 in the cases of the clap is not a good thing.

Great Offender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S - MT
#1 midsize - what?
This says it all!

It's what they call a "weasel statement". Jeep Gladiator is indeed #1 in ... ? All Jeep has to do is qualify that statement by being best at something but the commercial doesn't specify. Intentionally done to leave the viewer coming away with one thought "Jeep is the #1 mid-sized truck". Winner!

Best college class I ever took "Propaganda and Critical Thinking". Class explained how the right branding and marketing can confuse even the sharpest of people. Took it as a "filler" class but it stuck with me more than some of the classes involved w/ my major.

Sponsored

AyeCantSeeYou

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Construction Superintendent
My opinion:
I test drove it; I loved it; I bought it. I don't bother or really care what any of the auto magazines/websites say about what vehicle is best in sales, features, etc. The only opinion that matters to me when I buy something is mine.

Chaos Theory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
*facepalm* why do people still think magazine/site rankings still matter? These people (and any other 'independent ranking' entity) have been feeding themselves off corporate pockets for years, just like politicians.

They have *zero* credibility. Zero.

STACHES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Alltrack, '74 X1/9, '71 240z, '66 C10
Occupation
Manufacturing Automation

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
I'm shocked you believed a commercial..... You need to start treating all commercials like t-shirts that read "World Greatest Dad". Or how about "1 Hour Cleaners", it's just the name, doesn't mean it will only be 1 hour.
Sponsored