Sponsored

Jeep Gladiator Bed Outlet.....Wiring question....Thanks for the advice in advance

Konjidd

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Please Help.......... I purchased all the parts that I think I will need to add the bed outlet and the dealer says they can't install it because they don't put inverters. They tell me this after opening the package and installing the outlet so now I can't return the parts.

two audio stores don't want to do it either.....................long story short.................. Does part number Jumper Wiring - Mopar (68398209AB) replace the Old harness? do I need an inverter? I'm confused and could use some advice because I'd prefer not to burn my car to the ground....LOL

Thanks in advance for you help.

2020 Jeep Gladiator bed outlet

Inverter Power Outlet - Mopar (68375111AA)

https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-pa...let-68375111aa?c=bD0xMSZuPVNlYXJjaCBSZXN1bHRz
1588711485732.png

Jumper Wiring - Mopar (68398209AB)
2020 Jeep Gladiator

https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-jumper-wiring-68398209ab
1588711510935.png

1588711375783.png
Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Please Help.......... I purchased all the parts that I think I will need to add the bed outlet and the dealer says they can't install it because they don't put inverters. They tell me this after opening the package and installing the outlet so now I can't return the parts.

two audio stores don't want to do it either.....................long story short.................. Does part number Jumper Wiring - Mopar (68398209AB) replace the Old harness? do I need an inverter? I'm confused and could use some advice because I'd prefer not to burn my car to the ground....LOL

Thanks in advance for you help.

2020 Jeep Gladiator bed outlet

Inverter Power Outlet - Mopar (68375111AA)

https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-pa...let-68375111aa?c=bD0xMSZuPVNlYXJjaCBSZXN1bHRz
1588711485732.png

Jumper Wiring - Mopar (68398209AB)
2020 Jeep Gladiator

https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-jumper-wiring-68398209ab
1588711510935.png

1588711375783.png
Which Gladiator do you have? The inverter comes standard on Overland, Rubicon, but not Sport models. With Overland, etc., you get the 115v outlet inside, pay extra for bed outlet by Cargo Management Group. With Sport models, you get outlet inside if you add 8.4 radio, in bed if you also add Cargo Management.

So the wiring harness and bed outlet cannot be used if you do not have the inverter installed.

OP
OP

Konjidd

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Which Gladiator do you have? The inverter comes standard on Overland, Rubicon, but not Sport models. With Overland, etc., you get the 115v outlet inside, pay extra for bed outlet by Cargo Management Group. With Sport models, you get outlet inside if you add 8.4 radio, in bed if you also add Cargo Management.

So the wiring harness and bed outlet cannot be used if you do not have the inverter installed.
I have the sport s tow

OP
OP

Konjidd

First Name
jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Where can I purchase and how / where does the inverter go?

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Where can I purchase and how / where does the inverter go?
The inverter is only 400 watts and is located under the steering column. Get an inverter with the output capacity to meet your needs. Mount it near the battery. Run wire from the inverter back to the outlet. This will provide you a setup that is actually more useful than what comes from the factory.

JRobes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Enginerd
The inverter is only 400 watts and is located under the steering column. Get an inverter with the output capacity to meet your needs. Mount it near the battery. Run wire from the inverter back to the outlet. This will provide you a setup that is actually more useful than what comes from the factory.
If you have the aux switches, you could also wire up a relay to one of the aux buttons to enable power to the inverter when the truck is off. As far as I know the OEM inverter setup doesn't allow this.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the aux switches, you could also wire up a relay to one of the aux buttons to enable power to the inverter when the truck is off. As far as I know the OEM inverter setup doesn't allow this.
I believe the factory inverter is just turned on and off with the ignition. For those with the factory outlet in the bed, the dash button allows power to flow to the bed outlet when the engine is running. The interior outlet is always on when the engine is running.

One of the power cut-off relays for a winch would work well for controlling an inverter. A single unit could be used for a winch and inverter. Trying to use both at the same time could be an issue, depending on the capacity of the winch and the power output of the inverter.

SoonerDPT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon (sting-gray), 2013 Kawasaki KLR

Good to know. Thanks. There are a couple Rubicons around me that have everything I want, except the cargo management group. Wondered if the bed outlet could be added without any problem.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good to know. Thanks. There are a couple Rubicons around me that have everything I want, except the cargo management group. Wondered if the bed outlet could be added without any problem.
The install has to be done at the factory, if you want the bed outlet connected to the factory inverter.

The actual outlet can be ordered and added later, but a separate inverter and wiring has to be installed to use the outlet.

Sponsored

SoonerDPT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon (sting-gray), 2013 Kawasaki KLR
The install has to be done at the factory, if you want the bed outlet connected to the factory inverter.

The actual outlet can be ordered and added later, but a separate inverter and wiring has to be installed to use the outlet.
Damn, not what I wanted to hear. Thanks though.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
i second this approach

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Yes you do need an inverter which is why the cargo management option is to much but for just a 400watt inverter, it is way over priced. I would get a minimum 1000 watt inverter but I chose a 2000 watt inverter and mounted it out of the weather under the back seat. I had to run a standard 110 cord to the back so I lost 1 of the 4 outlets on the inverter but no biggie.

The reason the inverters are wired up to turn off with the ignition off is that a big one will kill your battery quick.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The reason the inverters are wired up to turn off with the ignition off is that a big one will kill your battery quick.
And a big one requires big cables direct to battery (with a suitable fuse, of course). For that reason, on my present vehicle, I mounted the inverter (1200W) under the hood, next to firewall, close to battery. Bad idea. Engine compartment heat killed the inverter before I got much use out of it.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU Rubicon HR, 2017 Cherokee, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Retired Peace Officer
Not only the engine heat but also the elements like it getting wet, that would fry it faster than the engine compartment heat. I used 4ga flexible cable like they use on the big amps on car stereo systems. Gives plenty of juice to the inverter and easy to work with and also reasonably priced
Sponsored