2. bgenlvtex

bgenlvtex Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bruce
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JTR
    Liked:
    This:
    "The Gladiator is a strange beast. Our own Jeep obsessive David Tracy absolutely loves it, but whenever I see it I get a nagging feeling about really just wanting an old Comanche. The Gladiator seems like too much in just about every department, though then again that describes almost every truck these days. Mainly it just seems sad that Jeep’s ostensible objective is to beat the Nissan Frontier."

Reeks of soy boy angst and loathing.

The Frontier is the most out dated and saddest entry into the mid sized truck market. They sell almost none.

The author should stick to smart car and bicycle reviews and maybe get some hormone replacement therapy.

3. Casique

Casique Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Thanos
    Vehicle(s):
    2011 FLHX, 2017 Acura MDX, 2006 Volvo C70
    Liked:
    What's killing the JT is the crazy price and crappy dealer stock. At the high end you can get a F-150 Platinum or equivalent for the same price, or less. Once the Jeep crowd bought theirs, what you now have is people that need a mid-size truck.

The high price does not support the goods, IMO. Yes, I'm still buying one in the next couple of months...

Gvsukids, ids318, Spartan65 and 2 others like this.
  4. Rulf

Rulf Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mercedes GLA 250, Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
    Liked:
    I see the Jeep Gladiator as a toy, an accessory, a statement if you will.

If you wanted form and function, you'd get a two door Tacoma and a 6" bed. Want to haul, F150 or Ram.

No one buys a Rolex because they NEED a watch. They buy one because they want a cool watch.

The Jeep Gladiator is cool. Got to pay to play if you want all the cool things in life.

Might sound like a dick here, but I like the fact I don't see many on the road because of the price point.

5. Mikegcny

Mikegcny Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle(s):
    '20 Gladiator Sport S, F150, 65 Mustang, Boston Whaler Outrage, Boston Whaler Montauk, Boston Whaler Super Sport
    Liked:
    Software Architect
    For me it was pretty simple. I wanted a JL but needed to fit my daughters comfortably, which led me to the JLU. I needed to tow a 6800 pound trailer, and haul construction materials and rubbish to the dump, which led me to the JT.

My other option was to buy two trucks: a JLU and a pickup.

I felt it was a bit overpriced, but the 2k incentive and dealer discounts made it worth it for me.

6. TheITGuy

TheITGuy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2015 Toyota Rav4 XLE
    Liked:
    "Nationally, Gladiator sales peaked at more than 6,000 in October before falling back slightly in November and December, according to estimates from the Automotive News Data Center"

A slight fall in sales is struggling? :facepalm:

salvino and Spartan65 like this.
  7. Bacon_00

Bacon_00 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator Sport S
    Liked:
    This article seems poorly researched. I did a ton of shopping for a mid sized truck and decided the Gladiator was priced at about a $5k premium when you compared it to other mid sized trucks with the same features. A brand new, crew cab, 4WD Tacoma TRD Off-road, which I feel is pretty comparable, is not a $25k truck... I'm not sure where this idea is coming from that you can get a new mid size truck as capable as the Gladiator for $25k or something. It doesn't exist.

Plus, it's a convertible! Why does nobody acknowledge that? You're paying for that. It's not a freebie.

I'm sure I could have saved a few thousand had I waited a six months or so to buy this thing, prices always go down, but then there's the new model year on the horizon calling your name.

8. Jeepers!

Jeepers! Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle(s):
    A Chevy and a Caddy
    Liked:
    From the article: "Burnett said his store is selling 15 to 25 Gladiators a month, which isn’t far off from its numbers for the Wrangler and light-duty Ram."

So... it's fine?

9. futzin'

futzin' Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Durango V6, 2006 Suburban 2500, 2009 Venza
    Liked:
    I don't much care for Jalopnik. So many of their articles have a sour grapes tone. I don't get it. Most of their articles seem to be written by folks that have little to no car/truck knowledge. I guess as long as they're getting clicks, it doesn't matter.

Spartan65 and Gren71 like this.
  10. Bacon_00

Bacon_00 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator Sport S
    Liked:
    Totally agree. If I see an article linked to that site I prep myself for the "sour grapes" tone. It gets stale.

Probably they operate a lot like these other blog-type sites -- literally anybody can submit an article (with zero or no credentials) and their editors pick the submissions that they think will get the most clicks. Cracked operates like this, I know.

Spartan65 likes this.
  11. Factoid

Factoid Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator, 2019 Porsche Cayenne S, 1964 Corvette coupe
    Liked:
    Performance Coach
    I compared it to nothing but my desire. I thought about the warranty and making no changes until it expired, but then said you only live once and I didn’t bust my ass to get where I am to then wait some more. I live in the world where there is no replacement for displacement, so with 100 miles on it I added another 2.8 liters. I love nothing better than hitting the remote start and listening to it roar to life. I would not have felt the same about any other truck regardless of engine. It is a beauty in stock form that performs flawlessly and a beast in modified form that scares the crap out of me. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

12. Jeepers!

First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle(s):
    A Chevy and a Caddy
    Liked:
    No, they are staffed. But a snarky tone is kind of their thing, like it or not.

scramboleer and Spartan65 like this.
  13. Bacon_00

Bacon_00 Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 Gladiator Sport S
    Liked:
    That almost makes it worse :facepalm: Oh well. Doesn't matter much, just kind of annoying that they're spreading this information that the Gladiator is a flop when the data doesn't really seem to back it up.

Spartan65 likes this.
  14. Jeepers!

First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle(s):
    A Chevy and a Caddy
    Liked:
    I mean, the headline is actually refuted in the article!

Spartan65 likes this.
  15. futzin'

futzin' Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Durango V6, 2006 Suburban 2500, 2009 Venza
    Liked:
    I don't like it; it mostly isn't warranted or deserved, IMO. Trying too hard. Amateurish, to me . . .

Spartan65 likes this.