Vehicle(s)
JT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
2020 Jeep Gladiator Truck of the Year Award 2.jpeg

January 13, 2019

DETROIT -- The eighth-generation Chevrolet Corvette won the 2020 North American Car of the Year while the Jeep Gladiator took the truck win, and the Kia Telluride was named top utility vehicle of the year.

This year's winners were selected by a jury of 50 American and Canadian automotive journalists — including Automotive News engineering reporter Richard Truett — from a group of three finalists in each category. A vehicle must have been redesigned or significantly changed during 2019 to be eligible for the award.

The Chevrolet Corvette beat the Toyota Supra, created in collaboration with BMW, and the Hyundai Sonata for the car award. A sports car has not won the title since 2014, with the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray. The Corvette also won the award in 1998.

The redesigned Corvette, for the first time since the car debuted in 1953, features an engine behind the driver.

FCA's Jeep Gladiator won the truck award over the Ford Ranger and the Ram Heavy Duty in a battle between two Detroit automakers.This is the first time a Jeep has taken the truck title since the Jeep Grand Cherokee in 1999.

The Kia Telluride took utility vehicle of the year over the Hyundai Palisade and the Lincoln Aviator. Kia has never won a NACTOY title before, but was a finalist in the car category for the Kia Stinger in 2018.

Vehicles were judged on several categories including innovation, design, safety, performance, technology, value and driver satisfaction.

The three finalists in each category were selected from a list of 29 vehicles announced in September. For the first time since 2014, no European vehicles made it as NACTOY finalists.

The North American Car, Utility and Truck of the Year awards were founded in 1994. The Utility Vehicle of the year award was added in 2017.

Via Autonews

Advertisement

Last edited:

NaughtyGeek

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
A vehicle must have been redesigned or significantly changed during 2019 to be eligible for the award.
This really narrows the field the Gladiator is competing against. Seems silly to call it "Truck of the Year" if it's really "Redesigned/New Truck of the Year." I love my Gladiator but this rings hollow to me.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Durango V6, 2006 Suburban 2500, 2009 Venza
FCA's Jeep Gladiator won the truck award over the Ford Ranger and the Ram Heavy Duty in a battle between two Detroit automakers.
This really narrows the field the Gladiator is competing against. Seems silly to call it "Truck of the Year" if it's really "Redesigned/New Truck of the Year." I love my Gladiator but this rings hollow to me.
Well, it did win. Maybe those three were it though?

MoparDave

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon 6 speed manual , 2018 Dodge Demon, 2019 WB Scat Pack Challenger 6 speed manual
Take the "W"

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR silver bullet
I didn't know that the Cherokee was offered in a truck in 1999

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, Hyundai Turbo Veloster, Land Rover Disco
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
It's about time Jeep put an end to the "Cowboy Cadillac" trucks scooping up the awards for being so Foo Foo & Sissy La la, OR being designed in foreign countries. Good Job Jeep!

The USA needed a truck with Mud tires, not a Latte holder.
upload_2020-1-16_9-29-56.png

Last Monday at my Idaho Property. (note, this pic was not taken at the mall)

Last edited:

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
San Antonio, TX/Mahopac, NY (Atlanta temporarily)
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Porsche Cayenne S, 1964 Corvette coupe
Occupation
Performance Coach
It's about time Jeep put an end to the "Cowboy Cadillac" trucks scooping up the awards for being so Foo Foo & Sissy La la, and being designed in foreign countries. Good Job Jeep!

The USA needed a truck with Mud tires, not a Latte holder.
upload_2020-1-16_9-29-56.png

Last Monday at my Idaho Property. (note, this pic was not taken at the mall)
I don't know, that looks like a Starbucks satellite dish in the background!

I kid, I kid, love that picture!

As far as I'm concerned, my Rubi is truck of the year compared to ALL other trucks. Just my opinion...

PyrPatriot

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Sing-Grey - 18k miles since 11/2019; Honda Element 170k miles since 2006
Wonder if that's why the executive from Jeep was at Trump's dinner the other night. Heard him call him out and congratulate him on the very American icon cars they put out

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '18 Grand Cherokee
Well I'm glad they won, but even if it had been awarded " POS of the Year", It would make no difference to me. I like mine! I like driving it, and I like looking at it!

Gr8ful

First Name
Bruce
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland 2019 Kia Stinger GT2
Occupation
Professionally unemployed
Congrats to Jeep.

Advertisement

Advertisement