Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiators 1998 Jeep Wrangler 2013 mustang GT
Occupation
L.E.
Vehicle Showcase
Soooo, already having issues with my gladiator. Just curious if anyone else has had similar issues, and what has been the outcomes?

1.) Starter failure.

Went to go take my gladiator to run an errand yesterday morning and it wouldn’t even crank over... battery was charged, (yes) I pressed the brake when I went to start but nothing... got it towed to the dealership and got an update this morning stating that my starter already completely failed and is going to be replaced... under warranty thank god...

2.) Glitches

So I’ve been noticing that when I don’t have my seat belt on, I get the seat belt warning on the cluster as expected... however the cluster display and the seatbelt warning light seems to be glitching as in the cluster almost seems like it doesn’t know which one to display lol...

anyone else having similar problems, or have any other problems that I should be on the look out for and hopefully prevent?

Thanks!
Sponsored

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Soooo, already having issues with my gladiator. Just curious if anyone else has had similar issues, and what has been the outcomes?

1.) Starter failure.

Went to go take my gladiator to run an errand yesterday morning and it wouldn’t even crank over... battery was charged, (yes) I pressed the brake when I went to start but nothing... got it towed to the dealership and got an update this morning stating that my starter already completely failed and is going to be replaced... under warranty thank god...

2.) Glitches

So I’ve been noticing that when I don’t have my seat belt on, I get the seat belt warning on the cluster as expected... however the cluster display and the seatbelt warning light seems to be glitching as in the cluster almost seems like it doesn’t know which one to display lol...

anyone else having similar problems, or have any other problems that I should be on the look out for and hopefully prevent?

Thanks!
Hi Joshua,
Should you ever need any assistance while working with your dealer to address a concern, our team is always happy to provide additional support. Please feel free to reach out to us via private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
2.) Glitches

Thanks!

I noticed this on mine the other day while just driving around in the fields at home while taking my kids for a ride. Wasnt doing over 5mph. It was like it was freaking out going back and forth.

emcdonald

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Altitude, 2021 Gladiator Diesel Sport S
Occupation
Construction

1.) Starter failure.

2.) Glitches

Thanks!

Saturday i was driving the new jeep (21 Sport S Eco Diesel) with the wife (had it a week and there were 308 miles on it.) when i smelled a burning smell and the dash displayed a message saying that the start/stop was un available. I pulled off into a driveway and shut it off to diagnose what was wrong hoping that it just needed restarted. Hit the button and not such luck. Had to get it towed to the dealership.

Got a call from the dealership today saying that the starter is shot. They said no dealership in the nation has one in stock and it will be at least 5 days for them to get this. very frustrating to say the least.

OP
OP
Terra_trekk3r

Terra_trekk3r

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiators 1998 Jeep Wrangler 2013 mustang GT
Occupation
L.E.
Vehicle Showcase
Saturday i was driving the new jeep (21 Sport S Eco Diesel) with the wife (had it a week and there were 308 miles on it.) when i smelled a burning smell and the dash displayed a message saying that the start/stop was un available. I pulled off into a driveway and shut it off to diagnose what was wrong hoping that it just needed restarted. Hit the button and not such luck. Had to get it towed to the dealership.

Got a call from the dealership today saying that the starter is shot. They said no dealership in the nation has one in stock and it will be at least 5 days for them to get this. very frustrating to say the least.
I would be equally frustrated, I was pretty frustrated that my starter already went out as well... I just wish they had not done this start/stop setup. I don’t see the point, the pro’s do not outweigh the cons or just the fact having more components to fail now.. I need to look into a permanent bypass for the start stop that way maybe it will alleviate the additional abuse on the starter.

Sponsored

emcdonald

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Altitude, 2021 Gladiator Diesel Sport S
Occupation
Construction
I would be equally frustrated, I was pretty frustrated that my starter already went out as well... I just wish they had not done this start/stop setup. I don’t see the point, the pro’s do not outweigh the cons or just the fact having more components to fail now.. I need to look into a permanent bypass for the start stop that way maybe it will alleviate the additional abuse on the starter.
You might look in the the Tazer Mini. Among a bunch of other things it allows the jeep to remember if you have the start stop turned on or off when you start the vehicle. I haven't personally used it but there is a lot of reviews available on youtube.

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 Infiniti QX50, 2015 Cruisers Yacht 45 Cantius
Occupation
Self Employed
Ie EXPECT see a LOT of starter failures due to the stop/start feature in the future. Starters have a specific life expectancy, and using it 100 times a day is going to kill them a lot sooner than 5-10 times a day. The very first mod I made was the Tazer Mini to kill the function And adjust tire size.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
MANY vehicles have the "ESS" - not just Jeep.

I restore starters for vehicles - I've seen them go an easy 180,000 miles on engines that take a lot more cranking to start than these things do.
The 3.6 is among the easiest starting engine I've ever owned.
That means the starter doesn't work nearly as hard and a mere fraction as long as many others that last a ton of miles.
I fully expect these starters on average to last as long as any other.
Heat is a starter killer, as is high compression. These won't have either. They won't get hot as the engine starts so easily.
My SX4's 4.0 has to crank that thing 2 to 3 times longer to start the engine and yet it went a good 180,000 miles.
I know, naysayers will say "but this starts several times per trip" - hmmm, what about those who commute only 2 or 3 miles to and from work, whatever? Same thing - lots of starting but not on an engine that was just running.
My bet as an auto-electrician - these will last as well as any other, ESS or not.

Don't blame Jeep - blame people, and the government, etc.
Again, this is NOT unique to Jeep, not by any means.
As far as "pros do not outweigh".......... yeah, I expect untrained people who haven't studied the reasons and such behind these to think that way. In many case, not even trained mechanics.
I've got a HUGE PDF of regulations from around the USA that might be a hint as to why vehicle makers are using this system but no one cares about facts.

This is a RARE occurrence on these vehicles. Look for complaints of starter failures in this forum - I bet you can count them on one hand. Shit happens, things FAIL. My wife's NAV on her 2018 GC failed - nothing and no one was to blame, it just happens.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
The starters on vehicles with start stop systems are more robust than normal starters.

That being said it is an awful system on any car.

Sponsored

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Ie EXPECT see a LOT of starter failures due to the stop/start feature in the future. Starters have a specific life expectancy, and using it 100 times a day is going to kill them a lot sooner than 5-10 times a day. The very first mod I made was the Tazer Mini to kill the function And adjust tire size.
For the 3 years I've been on the JL wrangler forum, I don't remember any failed starter posts. Unless they switched to a different starter manufacturer, I don't think it's going to be a common problem, although I do agree that it's additional, unnecessary wear.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't it crazy how starters have progressed over the years - I mean, the direct-drive Ford 4 1/2" for an I-6 (in process of restoring) and then this other I restored for my own SX4's 4.0 from a 94 ZJ and then to today's starters....

Both of these are for similar size engines!

Yeah, the 3.6 starter will last just as long if not longer even with more cycles.
The ZJ starter had way over 100,000 miles before the BRUSHES wore down. I restored it but the only part that needed to be replaced - the brushes. All else was fine. Even the commutator didn't take much to turn and even it up.

Jeep Gladiator Jeep gladiator issues 20200624_165710
Jeep Gladiator Jeep gladiator issues sx4-starter_4150

SoK66

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport (3)
Occupation
Land Tours Manager, Jeep Tour Guide
We have five '21 Gladiators in Jeep tour service. One of our Moab-based JTs lost a starter at a stop light. ESS shut the engine off and it wouldn't restart. I doubted it was the starter, but as it was still in warranty we shipped it off to Grand Junction and the dealer confirmed the starter was bad. Thankful it didn't fail while we had a tour group in it.
Sponsored