First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Tech
I own a bunch of Swiss Army Knives. I know what tool to use when you have a job to do. The Gladiator (21 Rubicon) is the tool of choice. As with my Swiss Army Knives, the blades have been sharpened and kept that way with me. So, there are some minor scratches on them. But, like the Gladiator, they are a tool. My value for these tools is very high. Others would look at my tool and say it isn't worth whatever I paid for it. I say so what. It fits my needs and I am a happy customer. I won't sell it because I need that tool. It is worth a whole lot more because the cost of operation is very low (no car payments) so I am fine.
Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
The entire auto market sucks but it's still a lot better than it was 15 or 20 years ago when 6 months later most vehicles lost 5k to 8k in value. Vehicles aren't a investment and if your planning on making or breaking even on one then just lease then because that's how auto markets have been historically. Take away the COVID-19 crazy market. I'm still only upside down about $9,000 on mine with 80,000 miles on it. I paid $37,100 And they offered me $28,000 for it at my oil change Last Thursday. That's a 2020 Max Tow Sport with about $6000 of add on's I did. I never expect to get anything I've done to one back unless I sell online to someone who appreciates what you've done.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Well the magical word in you opening statement covered it... Trade

Dealers always fuck you on a trade. Dealers are like being in Vegas .......the house wins 99% of the time.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Well the magical word in you opening statement covered it... Trade

Dealers always fuck you on a trade. Dealers are like being in Vegas .......the house wins 99% of the time.
So true, better to sell it to them than trade. Or try to sell it yourself.

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Gladiator value is in the toilet plain and simple. 58,000 sticker to 41,000 trade in (in 1 year )? That’s what happens when they inflate the prices originally and start giving 12,000 off on new ones. I didn’t pay sticker but should of held out for a better price and didn’t finance so it could of been worse. I also bought local and did well on my Chrysler 300 trade in. I believe value will come back up a little when the new prices come out if they are not a lot lower too. Bronco on the other hand still bringing in decent prices here, go figure but not inflated over MRSP. Jeep flooded the market with gladiators , now they are playing catch up. I still like my Gladiator and will keep it indefinitely but Hopefully another year they don’t loose the same amount of value especially for the people that paid sticker price and financed also.
30% gap in original retail MSRP to wholesale in a year is normal but hasn’t been seen in a long time because of the market. Typically you see something like an 80% drop off on options, which is why typically it’s best to try to keep it under 10% in options from base MSRP. Also challenging to do with the way that Jeep bundles things as we all know.

I’d anticipate you won’t see a whole lot more drop off in value — maybe a little bit each year as mileage goes up. Market could also improve once there’s far less supply again.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
I bought a 2023 JTM. MSRP was 65,450
I paid 51,500
Traded in my 2020 JTR that had a MSRP in 2020 for 56K.
Dealership offered me 39K. Carvana was offering me 41K but the cost savings in tax and the hassle of dealing with a bunch of checks passing around, I traded to the dealership.

I drove off the dealer lot feeling like I finally got a good deal. I didn't win, but I didn't lose either.

KevinC

Mflowers11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Hi Alt, 2017 Wrangler, Rcky Mtn
Occupation
Finance
Upgraded model with better gadgets and a bigger screen coming out. Dealers are offloading inventory due to that and probably many are also likely lowering on hand inventory at the same time to reduce carry costs if the economy goes down, which is likely. From my perspective, it’s expected.

Good news is, not a person on this forum bought their Jeep as a “responsible” purchase! Getting into a Gladiator comes with a price-tag but so does every good thing in life! Hell, many (maybe most) of us have thousands extra into it because we “needed” the extra two inches! Don’t read to far into that one!!! ?

Just-Empty-Every-Pocket and enjoy the ride people!!!

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Looking at BMW 7 series now.
New 2023 = ~105 - $130k
Used 2022 = ~$65-85k

I guess it's all relative. I'm not entirely convinced prices will go back up either, shortage or not. The average Joe can't afford to buy and they certainly can't afford the interest rates. They think they can...maybe for a little bit longer.
BMWs are always at the top of the depreciation chart, because... well... they're BMWs. Look at the ones old enough to be out of warranty if you want to see catastrophic depreciation. They're made for people who lease them or trade them in every couple of years. The people who really get burned are the suckers who buy them used for a fraction of the original MSRP thinking they're getting a "deal". ...and just to clarify... I'm talking about any BMW built since say the mid 2000's. The older/classic ones are fairly reliable. ...for German cars anyway.

Sponsored

Guns_N_Rosaries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Edition
I think the auto industry is finally correcting post-Covid, and not that it's specifically Gladiators. I watch a few youtube channels from people that are in the business of buying used cars (usually at auctions), fixing them up some, and then selling them. These guys will also usually walk through dealership lots going over prices and stuff, and without fail all the lots are packed absolutely full of vehicles they can't sell. 2024 F-150s are about to roll out if they haven't already, and the lots are still packed full of 2023s that dealers can't sell. I think it's going to be a buyer's market in the next year or two, but unfortunately trade-ins and people selling their used vehicles aren't going to get as much as they are hoping.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
BMWs are always at the top of the depreciation chart, because... well... they're BMWs. Look at the ones old enough to be out of warranty if you want to see catastrophic depreciation. They're made for people who lease them or trade them in every couple of years. The people who really get burned are the suckers who buy them used for a fraction of the original MSRP thinking they're getting a "deal". ...and just to clarify... I'm talking about any BMW built since say the mid 2000's. The older/classic ones are fairly reliable. ...for German cars anyway.
I've owned 7 BMWs and currently have a 2017 BMW X5 50I with the m package.and a 2013 328i x drive coup. Everyone I have had have had zero issues and all been 2009 or betters. Our 2009 bmw 328i had 259,000 miles on it when I sold it and I have my 2013 328i has 161,000 miles on it with no issues..As long as you keep up on the maintenance then you want have issues. What happens is people buy them and then don't want to maintain them.

I will agree they do depreciate quickly but I always buy used , about 2 or 3 years old and with service records.

saintpauljeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Rubi, '03 BMW Z4, '20 Mitsu OutSport
Occupation
Software Developer
:shrugs shoulders: my 2003 BMW Z4 is still running very well without issues, it's my 2nd BMW and both have been reliable

seems like across forums when these BMW reliability interjections come up in various threads it is very subjective

Mad Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Far Northwest Deep East Texas in the Dirty South
Website
www.best-motorcycle.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 1998 Wrangler Sahara
According to Google: Generative AI is experimental. Info quality may vary.

There is no predetermined rate at which a vehicle will depreciate. However, many cars lose up to 20% of their value in the first year. After that, they may lose about 15% more per year until the four-or five-year mark.

The average vehicle will be worth just 40% of its purchase price after five years.

Cars lose the most value in the first year, and depreciation continues for about five years.

Some vehicles lose around 15% to 25% of their value in the first year.

So maybe the moral of the story is buy a used one after a couple of years.
In my case, I was crazy for a Nacho with matching hardtop and fenders.
In January, found a 2021 with only 15,000 miles on it, two years old,
a Rubicon, had it shipped to me from Manheim PA. $49,000.
Not a great deal but better than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick
and it was exactly what I wanted.