Sponsored

Jeep Gladiator value in the toilet

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
This is somewhat of an entertaining conversation, but I have never understood how there are people who look at average vehicles as an investment. They never are, just a liability.
I don't think anyone in here has said they bought their Gladiator as an investment per se... I think we all know better than that. However, I do try to buy vehicles I believe will not loose value as fast as some/most some others. Pickup trucks in general are usually good for this - and Jeeps (specifically Wranglers & Gladiators) have traditionally done very well with depreciation. That's what I had in mind when I bought mine (my first Jeep) last year... that if it had too many problems (knowing very well about spotty Jeep quality) or if I just decided I didn't like it for whatever reason, I could get a big chunk of my money back out of it and get something else. But now that the economy has turned, interest rates have shot up, and Jeep is offering huge discounts on new ones, it's hurting resale values of them on the used market. But again... I plan to keep mine for at least 4-5 more years, so I'm sure the world will be a very different place by then (assuming we're still here).

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
Canadian dollars, not US dollars, right? Gotta do the conversion.
Might as well be Canadian Pesos at this point. Then add the new 'luxury' tax on any vehicle over 100k. Jeeps are also at 6.99% financing! Very little off MRSP, no great deals ThIngs are right f'd in this dumpster fire of a Country these days. It used to be wonderful but not so much right now.

A basic Mojave (yes I know that sounds silly, but I mean with maybe 3 options like a hard top for winter and the cold weather package and the auto 4x4) is about 72k, or $1100+ monthly.

BajaTym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JTR, Bright White
Occupation
IT Professional; Retired Military
I often wonder what research other people do prior to purchasing a new vehicle.

What were your expectations when you decided to purchase a Jeep? (seriously)

In my experience, Jeeps aren't investments; they're tools or toys, at best. I’ve also never understood the draw to marketing gimmicks, such as "launch edition," "anniversary edition," or other badge and sticker editions. They’re just over priced wheels, tires, stickers, and plastic badges, bundled to inflate prices, all certainly contributing to the depreciation in resale value.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Might as well be Canadian Pesos at this point. Then add the new 'luxury' tax on any vehicle over 100k. Jeeps are also at 6.99% financing! Very little off MRSP, no great deals ThIngs are right f'd in this dumpster fire of a Country these days. It used to be wonderful but not so much right now.

A basic Mojave (yes I know that sounds silly, but I mean with maybe 3 options like a hard top for winter and the cold weather package and the auto 4x4) is about 72k, or $1100+ monthly.
I don't think you're grasping what I'm saying. For example, 72k CAD is 52k USD. That looks about right for a Mojave....

You can't take a Mojave or 392 or whatever and then compare a CAD price to a USD price and then go "look how expensive it is here!" There's no parity there.

Sponsored

Raven65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I often wonder what research other people do prior to purchasing a new vehicle.

What were your expectations when you decided to purchase a Jeep? (seriously)

In my experience, Jeeps aren't investments; they're tools or toys, at best. I’ve also never understood the draw to marketing gimmicks, such as "launch edition," "anniversary edition," or other badge and sticker editions. They’re just over priced wheels, tires, stickers, and plastic badges, bundled to inflate prices, all certainly contributing to the depreciation in resale value.
I stated my expectations two posts above yours. NO new vehicle is bought as an "investment". Well, perhaps I should qualify that... no normal/common mass produced vehicle anyway. Some vehicles depreciate much faster than others. Wranglers - and more recently, Gladiators - have traditionally held their values very well. All new vehicles lose a chunk of their value as soon as you drive them off the lot and they become "used" vehicles, but popular ones like Wranglers/Gladiators level off pretty quickly and hold their values very well. Not so, recently, though - thanks to the economy and Jeep slapping huge discounts on new ones to move them. That may change though as the strike continues and supply dries up. I'm not gonna worry about it though. I'm just gonna enjoy mine for another 4-5 years (unless it starts giving me a lot of trouble) and then I'll get whatever I get for it when I eventually sell it and then move on to the next vehicle.

BajaTym

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JTR, Bright White
Occupation
IT Professional; Retired Military
I stated my expectations two posts above yours.
Sorry, I must have glazed over it. As to the rest, agreed. The current market is pretty crummy across the board, but time will tell.

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
The gladiator's selling price should always be about 5% off MSRP because that and better was available basically since it came out. If you paid more than that, you overpaid and your depreciation is going to be massively inflated. No one should have bought a car last year at msrp + and then complain about depreciation. My personal depreciation has been fantastic, less than 10K in almost 3 years and 34K miles.

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect
Hate to be that guy but something has to be off with OPs math or he simply overpaid and that's on him.

I paid around $38,000 ($43 was MSRP) for my '21 Willy's. That was $1,500 below invoice. Yeah that's right was able to negotiate to below invoice because that's where the market was at the time of purchase and no I didn't end up paying somewhere else.

Its current value is around $33,000 (per offer by CM).

I have 36,000 miles on it.

I'd argue its held its value really well.

Sponsored

Bjeepz

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
I don't think you're grasping what I'm saying. For example, 72k CAD is 52k USD. That looks about right for a Mojave....

You can't take a Mojave or 392 or whatever and then compare a CAD price to a USD price and then go "look how expensive it is here!" There's no parity there.
What you say is easy to grasp but there is more to it than a conversion that happens to work based on today's USD vs CAD. As the dollar fluctuates our prices don't adjust for that. We're at about 1.00 CAD = 0.73 USD. We don't see the big discounts on fun vehicles.

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
Not to discount the poster's original concerns, but as I se it, you can buy a milk-toast-blender-utensil and know down deep your wife doesn't really respect you in the least bit, or, you can be a man and live life to the fullest with a German luxury sport saloon...
My wife respects me for knowing the word milquetoast.

John in the Woods

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Semi-retired noisemaker
All legit concerns, but all the Jeep drivers I know and love expect to die in their rig, or looking out on a yard covered with old war horses. That's what I bought into when I finally made the leap. At this point, my bet is on me going first.