Sponsored

Jeep officials ponder early unveiling for new pickup truck

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
From the Blade: http://www.toledoblade.com/Automoti...der-early-unveiling-for-new-pickup-truck.html

DETROIT — The upcoming Jeep pickup truck is scheduled to go on sale sometime in 2019, but there’s an ever-so-slight chance that it could break cover before the end of this calendar year.

Mike Manley, the chief executive officer of the Jeep brand, told The Blade in an interview Tuesday that officials are generally inclined to wait until closer to the truck’s on-sale date to unveil it to the public. But, Mr. Manley said, that decision hasn’t yet been made.

“That’s something Mr. Marchionne and I are discussing now, when do we want to show it?” he said, referring to Fiat Chrysler Automobiles’ chief executive Sergio Marchionne. “This has such an unbelievable pent-up demand to see it, we may exercise the option of showing it slightly early.”

The truck, which will be built in Toledo, will represent Jeep’s first pickup in more than 25 years.

Mr. Manley wouldn’t divulge much about the model, though he did say FCA is interested in a “degree of powertrain commonalization.” It’s not clear if that would include a plug-in hybrid system similar one FCA has confirmed for the Wrangler by 2020. Analysts expect it will, but Jeep officials have declined to say.

Whether the company shows the truck or not, this year is an important one for Jeep.

The first of the company’s next-generation Wranglers are just beginning to ship out of the Toledo Assembly Complex, and the company debuted a significantly refreshed Cherokee on Tuesday. Officials say both vehicles should start arriving in dealerships in volume by the year’s second quarter.

That should help the brand rebound a bit from 2017, when U.S. sales fell 11 percent to 828,522. It is worth noting, though, that reducing sales to daily rental fleets and focus more on retail customers was part of FCA’s strategy to boost profits and improve its vehicles’ residual values.

Sales of the Wrangler, which tend not to rely much on fleet sales, were essentially flat last year at 190,522. Fiat Chrysler officials are hopeful the new Wrangler model can rebound sales.

Mr. Manley said he’s been pleased by both the buzz the new Wrangler has created and the early orders put in by dealers.

“Of all of the time I’ve been in this business, the early reaction of Wrangler has been amongst the best I’ve ever seen,” he told The Blade.

As of now, production of the prior-generation Wrangler JK continues in the south part of the Toledo Assembly Complex, though Mr. Marchionne said on Monday that should wind down by April.

Once that takes place, the company will get to work readying the plant for the upcoming pickup.

But even after it’s out of production, don’t expect to find giveaway prices on old Wrangler models still on dealer lots.
Sponsored

wooderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
I think it would be wise for FCA to release information of the JT this year. Doing it before the Ranger goes on sale could keep people from buying the Ranger and waiting for the Gladiator.. Anything you can do to steal the thunder of the competition is a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I think it would be wise for FCA to release information of the JT this year. Doing it before the Ranger goes on sale could keep people from buying the Ranger and waiting for the Gladiator.. Anything you can do to steal the thunder of the competition is a good idea.
I agree. They should do a teaser campaign like Ford did for the F150 Raptor. Ford made that last a full year before the Raptor was even on sale. The hype was so big that they sold out within 2 weeks of orders opening up for 2017.

Sponsored

dano0726

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport
Vehicle Showcase
+1 with Vegas -- Jeep needs to release some type of teaser ad about the JT Gladiator now/soon...maybe during March Madness...

Ozarkpaddler

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade Ford F-150
Agreed. Left for a month or two and came back but it's still like that "Hunting Bigfoot" show; nothing out there to see but our imagination.

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Agreed. Left for a month or two and came back but it's still like that "Hunting Bigfoot" show; nothing out there to see but our imagination.
Unfortunately, this is painfully true. We are our own support group it seems picking each other up and helping stay motivated during the dry spell. I find myself Googling "Jeep truck" and other variations regularly to see if something new has been posted. I can only hope FCA frequents these boards and sees how desperate we are for news and throws us a few scraps. Were starving!

OSO131

First Name
BRAYAND
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEVY 1500 SILVERADO
Occupation
USN
Unfortunately, this is painfully true. We are our own support group it seems picking each other up and helping stay motivated during the dry spell. I find myself Googling "Jeep truck" and other variations regularly to see if something new has been posted. I can only hope FCA frequents these boards and sees how desperate we are for news and throws us a few scraps. Were starving!
Say it ain’t so.

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I use news.google.com and get my news that way. Everyday I put "jeep truck" and "jeep scrambler" in there to see if anything new pops up. :fingerscrossed:

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Honestly, this is a lot like JLWF was a year ago, then the leaks started flowing.... Problem is, a bunch of those leaks had JT stuff too, so the stuff that's already leaked can't leak again!

Wraith

First Name
Wraith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU my 19th Jeep
Yea I use news.google.com and get my news that way. Everyday I put "jeep truck" and "jeep scrambler" in there to see if anything new pops up. :fingerscrossed:
My laptop knows me well enough when I open up Google what to populate as a search term. Addiction? Probably.
Sponsored