First Name
Virginia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Patriot
Occupation
Former Historic Archaeoligist, now Project Controls
I am hoping one of you can give me some advice on my Patriot, this winter the heat chose not to work.
Doesn't appear to be leaking fluid, topped off the fluid a month or so back, but hasn't helped at all. Do I need to do something to bleed out bubbles?
Is there only one form of antifreeze it likes or what else could be the issue?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lasdar

Lasdar

First Name
Virginia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Patriot
Occupation
Fwiw it was the thermostat, it felt like fixing itself 1.95 hrs into a 2 hr drive back to my favorite mechanic. He looked it over said it was fine. Annoyingly I spent most of that drive shivering. Was a stupidly cold day for the end of March.

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If it starts to lock up like that it might be time to do a little preventative maint and replace it. Used to happen to my dodge ram back in the day, replaced twice and that darn thing still kept on running with full heat and air for 200k miles, I sold it in perfect working condition

OP
OP
Lasdar

Lasdar

First Name
Virginia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Patriot
Occupation
If it starts to lock up like that it might be time to do a little preventative maint and replace it. Used to happen to my dodge ram back in the day, replaced twice and that darn thing still kept on running with full heat and air for 200k miles, I sold it in perfect working condition
Thanks for the advice.
I have been toying with the idea of selling it and getting a Wrangler.

Sponsored

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the advice.
I have been toying with the idea of selling it and getting a Wrangler.
When I had my patriot "anniversary edition" I also had a JL, but traded both of those when the JT came out for his and hers JT's.....never looked back, but did love the JL when we had it. I liked the added room of the JL compared to the patriot, good luck making the decision

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Fwiw it was the thermostat, it felt like fixing itself 1.95 hrs into a 2 hr drive back to my favorite mechanic. He looked it over said it was fine. Annoyingly I spent most of that drive shivering. Was a stupidly cold day for the end of March.
Oh man I feel that. Moved from GA to IL with a plugged heater core right before winter. oof.

Yeah I'm in the habit of replacing it whenever I monkey around with cooling stuff, so I'm on at least the fourth one (that I know of). @Lasdar, these things seem to respond well to percussive maintenance when required.

OP
OP
Lasdar

Lasdar

First Name
Virginia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Patriot
Occupation
When I had my patriot "anniversary edition" I also had a JL, but traded both of those when the JT came out for his and hers JT's.....never looked back, but did love the JL when we had it. I liked the added room of the JL compared to the patriot, good luck making the decision
Mostly it will be in finding some poor sucker like I was who won't notice or care that the Patriot doesn't have ac. Don't buy used in January.
I'm betting most people will care. It might be mine for life. But hey low mileage on it and great mpg. If I have to commute to the office again it may stay.

Yeah I'm in the habit of replacing it whenever I monkey around with cooling stuff, so I'm on at least the fourth one (that I know of). @Lasdar, these things seem to respond well to percussive maintenance when required.
Lol percussive maintenance reminds me of my father taking the aspirator off the F150 with a hammer, then using JBWeld hoping the new one would stay on without the chunk of the aluminum engine he broke off. It didn't for long.
Sponsored