Sponsored

Jeep pickup available mid 2019, will be "intentionally" expensive

MLPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Willys JK 6M
Marchione spoke at the detroit show yesterday and talked about JT:

"The Jeep Wrangler-based pickup truck does not yet have a name, despite press reports that it will carry the historic "Gladiator" name. Marchionne said the Jeep pickup will be "expensive; intentionally so" because it is designed as a lifestyle truck that is likely to generate annual sales below 100,000 units. "I'm a natural buyer for that pickup truck, by the way," Marchionne said, adding the Jeep pickup won't compete with the midsize Ford Ranger or the Chevrolet Colorado on price, and won't be in dealerships until mid-2019."

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...-be-net-cash-positive-by-june-marchionne-says
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
So disappointing on every level. I did not believe the $50,000 rumors. I said to myself how do they expect to compete. I guess they don't. I may go order my Jl sport s soon.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
may aswell go & buy a 79 series landcruiser then

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I knew this was the case. They are going to use it as a Ranger raptor / ZR2 competitor not a base Ranger or Tacoma competitor.

Its annoying it wont be out till mid 2019 so that more then a year wait.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Ugh

MuhThugga

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Silverado, 1981 El Camino
Make it too expensive and no one will buy it because it is priced outside of the demographic. Just look at the 6th Gen Camaro for reference.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Make it too expensive and no one will buy it because it is priced outside of the demographic. Just look at the 6th Gen Camaro for reference.
I agree that this is kind of dumb. I mean ZR2 and Raptor Rangers are a small small segment. I get that the Gladiator will be unique in the fact its solid axel and convertible, but most people are fairly practical when it comes to buying a car so those two things while factors are not necessarily that someone is willing to pay $5-10K more for.

MuhThugga

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Pontiac GTO, 2008 Silverado, 1981 El Camino
I agree that this is kind of dumb. I mean ZR2 and Raptor Rangers are a small small segment. I get that the Gladiator will be unique in the fact its solid axel and convertible, but most people are fairly practical when it comes to buying a car so those two things while factors are not necessarily that someone is willing to pay $5-10K more for.
My main concern with a replacement truck is to have 4WD and a manual transmission. I test drove the Tacoma and hated it. Ford crossed themselves off the list by making the Ranger automatic-only. At this point, that leaves the Gladiator and the Frontier. If the Gladiator is super expensive, then that'll leave me with the Frontier.

If nothing strikes my fancy, then I'll stick with my Silverado. Or maybe I'll buy a new Bullitt as my daily. That thing looks sweet.

Sponsored

muttschu

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Network Admin
If this holds true then I guess I am out. Sad because I have been excited about this thing since I heard about it. Actually have holding off on buy a new vehicle too. I've been wanting a truck again and love my JK so I figured this is the best of both worlds. :(

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder when he says its going to expensive if he means 30K+ or 35K+ or 40K + .... I'm still curious to see what the entry point is since there will be two trims. I wonder if I'm correct when I said in the other thread that I think they may only offer a Sahara / Rubicon trim vs a Sport/ Rubicon trim. If thats the case then we would be at $35K+ entry point.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The ONLY consolation is that they likely won't hold resale value with a high entry price, so in a few years I can afford a nice used JT. :crying:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder when he says its going to expensive if he means 30K+ or 35K+ or 40K + .... I'm still curious to see what the entry point is since there will be two trims. I wonder if I'm correct when I said in the other thread that I think they may only offer a Sahara / Rubicon trim vs a Sport/ Rubicon trim. If thats the case then we would be at $35K+ entry point.
$35K & I'm in. But it won't be, with the diesel...

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
$35K & I'm in. But it won't be, with the diesel...
Yea I think the Diesel will be low to mid 40s without any other options. Which for me is too expensive when I can get a lot of truck else where for the money.
Sponsored