Jeep Reliability?

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
Many of you are current/former Jeep owners. Any truth to the rumors of poor reliability in Jeeps? I've always heard they are horribly unreliable and general money pits (repair not mods) but I don't think I've ever heard it from an actual jeep person. Over 10 years I would probably put about 50k max on a vehicle and would hope to not have anything more than normal maintenance unless it was something I broke. Is that realistic?

In searching the web I came across the likes of this over and over:

Anyone who buys a Jeep Wrangler should know what they’re getting into. Sure, it delivers a timeless look and ability to charge off-road in most conditions. But it scores poorly on reliability in just about every survey. You’ll deal with excessive wind noise, rattles, squeaks, and other irritations, especially during highway travel. In the J.D. Power dependability study for 2017, owners called out these and other ride issues.

That's not dependability or reliability at all in my book. That's buying the wrong vehicle. The infotainment system being glitchy or a mystery rattle isn't a concern for me. Having to replace the transmission or engine at 50k miles is more the type of concern I have.

I have read over the steering, AC and the the few other issues posted here.
Sponsored

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Many of you are current/former Jeep owners. Any truth to the rumors of poor reliability in Jeeps? I've always heard they are horribly unreliable and general money pits (repair not mods) but I don't think I've ever heard it from an actual jeep person. Over 10 years I would probably put about 50k max on a vehicle and would hope to not have anything more than normal maintenance unless it was something I broke. Is that realistic?

In searching the web I came across the likes of this over and over:

Anyone who buys a Jeep Wrangler should know what they’re getting into. Sure, it delivers a timeless look and ability to charge off-road in most conditions. But it scores poorly on reliability in just about every survey. You’ll deal with excessive wind noise, rattles, squeaks, and other irritations, especially during highway travel. In the J.D. Power dependability study for 2017, owners called out these and other ride issues.

That's not dependability or reliability at all in my book. That's buying the wrong vehicle. The infotainment system being glitchy or a mystery rattle isn't a concern for me. Having to replace the transmission or engine at 50k miles is more the type of concern I have.

I have read over the steering, AC and the the few other issues posted here.
I Will tell you this. I've never owned a Jeep and still to this day with my whole existence have I ever seen a Jeep on the side of the road broke down.

BullDogge

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT, JK, WK2 TH, other Non-Jeeps.
Yeah. They aren't a Grand Cherokee. But they have become so popular so you have alot of non jeep buyers buying them and complaining. It really is a poor vehicle if the issues listed above are a concern! lol. I rode in my buddies brand new bimmer the other day...damn 100 percent opposite experience! I've had him drive my JK before and let's just say we have different opinions. Plus the best part about needing to fix something on a jeep is upgrading...

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
BULL CRAP!

Looking over my jeeps I bought brand new: 89, 94, 95, 97, 99, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2015.

How many times I took back to the dealer for WARRANTY service/

5X

Carb adjustment

AC drip hose, dripping in passenger side

Outside temp on rearview mirror giving freeze alert on 100F days X2

Drivers side rear axle broke due to internal fault in the axle

Cumulative mileage: 229,000 mi

OP
OP
MonkeySkunks

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
Plus the best part about needing to fix something on a jeep is upgrading...
That's the approach I've taken in most vehicles. Sometimes I'm not looking to purchase the upgrade that specific Tuesday night though if you know what I mean.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MonkeySkunks

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
BULL CRAP!

Looking over my jeeps I bought brand new: 89, 94, 95, 97, 99, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2015.

Cumulative mileage: 229,000 mi
That's only 25k per jeep. I'm assuming some were higher mileage than others. What mileage do you have/had on the 2015?

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I'd say the contrary. I've owned Jeep, Chevy, Ford, Lexus, Nissan, VW, BMW...The list goes on. Jeep takes on the highest percentage manufacturer of vehicles I've owned and for great reason. Not a SINGLE one of the Jeeps has left me stranded on the side of the road with exception of 1) a XJ whose alternator burnt out because I got mud into it and fried it and 2) a YJ that I ran out of gas in. I have had exceptional experiences with the Jeep brand over the years and both of my parents have owned a variety without a single issue. Its reliability is a factor in my decision to purchase my JT.

If someone attests a rattle in a vehicle that, effectively, its entire body can be intentionally detached to be unreliable...I think you're looking in the wrong segment to purchase.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Jeeps get a lot of little rattles and minor irritations. They're definitely not maintenance-free. But they will get you home. And they're relatively easy to work on yourself (although this is changing as the electronics become more complex).

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my 2012 Jeep new in Aug 2011. Since then it has had 2 radios, which all failed and I had to install my own. 1 battery (died first year), 4-5 recalls and....wait for it....an engine change due to oil burning.

I now have a JTR, no issues yet.

Buying a Jeep you have to know what you're getting into. They're rough, they're windy and they rattle as they age. They also will have some quality and reliability issues....I think they have gotten much better over the years and the JLs/JTs are way better than before tho.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
I've owned many Jeeps:

Purchased New:
New 1994 v8 Grand Cherokee --> 40k miles, no issues
New 1998 4.0L 5-spd TJ Sport --> 45k miles, no issues
New 2013 JKUR --> 45k miles, no issues
New 2015 Ecodiesel GC --> 77k miles, DEF pump replaced; A/C compressor draining battery --> both fixed under warranty
New 2018 JLR --> 12k miles no issues
New 2020 JTR LE --> 6k miles, no issues

Used Jeeps:
Used 2000 4.0L 5-spd TJ Sport --> 76k miles, no issues
Used 2010 Jeep Commander --> 45k miles, no issues

I'd say, in my experience, Jeep's are pretty damn solid vehicles, but your mileage may vary...

Sponsored

Ole Cowboy

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 F 450, 17 JK Rubicon RECON, 21 Glady
Occupation
ReTired
That's only 25k per jeep. I'm assuming some were higher mileage than others. What mileage do you have/had on the 2015?
Jeep has never been a sole car in the garage, usually a third but gets most of the miles.

These were ONLY my Wrangler Jeeps, highest was 88k, my 15 was my lowest was at about 10k, I did not like it, it was Rubicon Hard Rock...4 door, my first 4 door and my last!

My '85 Cherokee had 136k on it, shorting light in left rear tail light assembly.

89/92 Grand Cherokee, about 10k mi each, had at the same time as my Wranglers, zero warranty work.

Prior to '89, they were all used and virtually trouble-free, blew a clutch once, , minor issues fixed with zero downtime, Auto Zone fix stuff.

furrymurray

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator SG Rubicon
I have owned a shit ton of Jeeps and had no major problems. I would like to add that I am hard on my vehicles like I am my tennis shoes and all my Jeeps have held up just fine. I hope this helps...

OP
OP
MonkeySkunks

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
I realized in hindsight this is not really a good place to inquire. I assume if someone had a dismal time with a jeep they wouldn't be purchasing a Gladiator or join this forum. Multiple accounts of not having any issues at all is reassuring though.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
The worst vehicle I’ve ever had was a 2015 Toyota 4 runner.

I’ve owned 4 wranglers with maybe a cumulative mileage of 300k, I’ve replaced one radiator after the fan disintegrated. There’s always a chance that something gets done wrong at assembly or flawed parts get installed but I’d bet most wranglers that have problems (beyond a random electrical issue) are either abused and poorly maintained or preowned under the same conditions

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
5th jeep, 72, 92, 2002, 2005 and 2020. never been left standing or towed. 72 and 2020 are still in weekly use. Very rare warranty work or recalls on any of them.
Sponsored