Sponsored

Jeep shipping question

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
What is the process for shipping a jeep? I realize some are basically trucked a certain distance, but at what point from Toledo are jeeps put on trains for transport? So say South Carolina, where I am located.. Will my JT be shipped by rail to a destination, staged, then trucked to my city? Or transported by truck the entire way? Some trucking methods will wait for a full load to a certain dealer, or will they split the shipment between dealerships? I mean $1490 is a ton of money for destination charges.. Anyone know firsthand the process?
Sponsored

Slacksuperstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 jeep wrangler
Im kinda curious about this as well really wanted a round about time frame on how long it takes to ship a vehicle

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
Ask your dealer. The answer will vary depending on where you live. They know the best what the typical route is and how long it will take.

My dealer in Nampa, ID (Boise) said it goes by rail to SLC, then trucked the last 4 hours to the dealer. Total transit time is typically 2-3 weeks (Toledo to Boise).

Slacksuperstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 jeep wrangler
Ok thank you for the insight im only about 10-11 hours from toledo so im hoping its a week week and a half

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT
Here is what mine will go through from Plant to Mid Iowa ... usually takes 2 weeks during normal times.

3.JPG

Sponsored

SIPHERphi

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator sport s
Here is what mine will go through from Plant to Mid Iowa ... usually takes 2 weeks during normal times.

3.JPG
Where did you get this info? My JT has been in the holding gate for 14 days, 28 days total.in shipping status.

B345T

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Edge Titanium, 2013 Dodge Dart Rallye, 2014 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Occupation
IT
At my dealership... I am the IT guy there so I can have them look at my convenience daily...would not recommend that behavior to customers as it does take some of their time...I ask nicely and keep the sales managers computer, phones and other peripherals top notch...

J&L in Maui

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ
So for my order it was explained like this: rail to left coast (not sure which rail yard) and can take 3 weeks ish. Then transferred to truck and delivered to port. Then put on boat and sail. Should be another 2 weeks ish to arrival here after off loaded from train.

Reality has been in shipping status for 32 days. It is in the rail yard in San Diego since 9/9 and has not been assigned a truck to port yet. Can’t get a cruise ticket until at port.

Oh and we pay 1550 to get here. So shake that lucky 8 ball!

kayakmike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Granite Crystal Metallic Launch Edition
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rocket Scientist
So for my order it was explained like this: rail to left coast (not sure which rail yard) and can take 3 weeks ish. Then transferred to truck and delivered to port. Then put on boat and sail. Should be another 2 weeks ish to arrival here after off loaded from train.

Reality has been in shipping status for 32 days. It is in the rail yard in San Diego since 9/9 and has not been assigned a truck to port yet. Can’t get a cruise ticket until at port.

Oh and we pay 1550 to get here. So shake that lucky 8 ball!
I don't think they truck to port. The rail line ends in National City, where there are a bunch of storage lots for each manufacturer. Think they just drive them on the ship. You can see the trains in the middle of the google earth view. You can use this lat/long to explore the area. 32.649566, -117.118719. I usually see Jeep/Dodge/RAM parked just south & east of the building labelled Kraft Pizza.
Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 8.00.39 PM.png

Last edited:

J&L in Maui

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ
I don't think they truck to port. The rail line ends in National City, where there are a bunch of storage lots for each manufacturer. Think they just drive them on the ship. You can see the trains in the middle of the google earth view. You can use this lat/long to explore the area. 32.649566, -117.118719. I usually see Jeep/Dodge/RAM parked just south & east of the building labelled Kraft Pizza.
Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 8.00.39 PM.png

Could be. The dealer gave me those details. I do not know.

Sadly I do not think all dealer employees know all the details on this process.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RickyR

RickyR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Black , 2004 LJ D60's 39.5 IRoKs AMC 401 V-8
So, I got an update today, that my jeep is at the railhead 90 miles away. Dealer said up to 10 days from today to be brought to their store. I'd like to drive up there, look over the fence and see if I can find it....haha..............

Krullro

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ 2019 JLUS
I ordered a Punkin Sport S the middle of August. Was told 6 to 8 weeks. It was delivered by train to Amarillo 8 days ago. It just arrived at the dealer in Ft. Stockton this afternoon. So I'm picking it up Thursday.

augustwest

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
My truck is at Nitro Creek whatever that is. Would love to know how long to get to Connecticut. You'd think they'd be able to tell you but its just a wait and see game.

McQ

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Wrangler Sahara / 2020 Gladiator on order
I ordered my Punkin Gladiator on 9/5 received my window sticker 9/21 - on 9/22 it was listed in transit waiting to load on carrier and as of today status has not changed. I am in Maryland 6 hours from Toledo not sure when I will receive it

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
I was told that the destination charges come from averaging the cost of shipping the vehicle everywhere in the USA, bar Hawaii. I guess to make it a level playing field... that way people in Maine, Washington, California and people across the street from the factory all pay the same.

I ordered my Gladiator 5/Sept, it arrived at the dealier today, 27/Sept. Still has to be PDI-ed
Sponsored