Sponsored

Jeep took too long... How do I work this out now?

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
So I start my new job on Monday 10.25 and they will not be giving me enough time to fly out and drive my jeep back... So the plan is to have my dad fly out and drive it back and maybe if I am lucky meet him In Chicago or somewhere along the way and drive back and do some of the trails/ National Parks that I wanted to get done on my bucket list. But how do I go about paying for the jeep/filling out all the paperwork? I did the FCA stuff and its under my name not his. Neither one of us cares if the loan is under his name instead of mine, or the title, as we can always refinance and both of our credit is above 800, and most of the title stuff can always be done later on too. I dont know if I can sign stuff electronically before hand or while he's at the dealership. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

The Bean

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S (Sold)
In your situation, I’d say save the money on plane tickets, and put that cost towards shipping the vehicle from the selling dealer to you. They will more than likely be able to do the entire transaction electronically, and may even be able to suggest a transport company.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
You can verify with dealership, but the standard is signing a power of attorney giving your father the power to sign all paperwork in your name. You keep original, copy goes to dealership.
But again call the dealership.

SeanKenmore

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Occupation
Biotech
As mentioned above- contact the dealership, explore POA options as well as apply for finance in advance through them and see if you can do all things electronically while Dad picks the Jeep from Gupton with POA on hand. In my case I was in a similar situation of having work related commitments so I waited approx 2+ week before flying in to pick my Jeep. It worked well for me. Spirit airlines was giving tickets at throwaway price for Mid-week red-eye tickets for Tuesday/Thursday and worked well for me.

Sponsored

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cherokee , 2021 JTMojave (punjabi), 22 gobiator
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
In your situation, I’d say save the money on plane tickets, and put that cost towards shipping the vehicle from the selling dealer to you. They will more than likely be able to do the entire transaction electronically, and may even be able to suggest a transport company.
Intercity and Reliable are two enclosed companies that came highly recommended by forum members. I chose Intercity because it was slightly more affordable and Jay Leno uses them to ship his car collection and new purchases. Open bed shippers are quite a bit cheaper but i didnt really want to deal with brokers and risk damage.

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Ok thanks, not worried about tickets. Hes a consultant and his new job has him in Oh for 3 months. So I was just going to use his free tickets.

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
If i go this route will CA lemon law work in my favor as for it to work I must buy the vehicle in CA. Since I am having it shipped here and never left the state...

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
If i go this route will CA lemon law work in my favor as for it to work I must buy the vehicle in CA. Since I am having it shipped here and never left the state...
No, you bought the vehicle in tn regardless of where you physically were because that's where the paper work was filed from.

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
No, you bought the vehicle in tn regardless of where you physically were because that's where the paper work was filed from.
I don’t think that’s correct. I bought my vehicle in Texas but the paperwork was immediately transferred to NM where I live. I believe it’s dependent on where the vehicle is registered and where the owner lives.

Sponsored

Cripton805

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
I would be careful. Some states make you pay taxes twice. I believe CA will charge you taxes and to register in CA all over again. Proceed with caution. I would keep it all in your name and do it in whatever state you will live in.

am1978

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Homebrewer
Even before COVID cars have been bought entirely online, electronically—all paperwork. I signed no forms for my in-person purchase last June, all touch screen signatures and forms saved to a USB key. Carvana is all online, other dealers are too.

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
makes sense

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Intercity and Reliable are two enclosed companies that came highly recommended by forum members. I chose Intercity because it was slightly more affordable and Jay Leno uses them to ship his car collection and new purchases. Open bed shippers are quite a bit cheaper but i didnt really want to deal with brokers and risk damage.
So you did end up shipping yours back LOL. So much for a road trip

1996XJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cherokee , 2021 JTMojave (punjabi), 22 gobiator
Occupation
Hot Dog proprietor
So you did end up shipping yours back LOL. So much for a road trip
Not yet. I am waiting to hear when it is actually ready for pick up. Within a week it should be at Guptons. And a week from then he should be ready to do the paperwork. At first i was going to do the road trip thing but with work, wife, pets, and last minute plane tickets and finding someone last minute to help with the pets/house, it was going to be too much trouble to save like 700 bucks. I just figured ill save my time off work for a well planned vacation to a national park or something. Hope everything goes good for you and your dad. Ill let you know how my shipping adventure goes.
Sponsored