Krag

Krag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
No worries - what seat did you test with?
I bought a OEM JL back seat from the 2 door. You can use the Teraflex JK seat mount bracket, just flip it around 180 degrees, and use the other 2 holes in the bracket, and the JL seat works fine.

Here it is sitting in place, folded forward.
upload_2020-3-27_10-4-48.png

OP
OP
Krag

Krag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Here is what I can see on the Grand Wagoneer from the spy websites:

The test mules look like independent suspension at all 4 corners, which makes me believe its more like a large Cherokee and less like a wrangler or a truck.

MLAM-Grand-Wagoneer-Rumors-Swell.jpg

jeepyuntu-us6-1.jpg

Anyone finding anything else on the new Grand Wagoner?

Last edited:

PapaChop83

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.revitalizeautospa.com
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator, '04 CLK 55 AMG, '21 Kia Telluride
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a OEM JL back seat from the 2 door. You can use the Teraflex JK seat mount bracket, just flip it around 180 degrees, and use the other 2 holes in the bracket, and the JL seat works fine.

Here it is sitting in place, folded forward.
upload_2020-3-27_10-4-48.png

Awesome, thanks for the photo! Any issues drilling through the bed? What size holes? And what's your plan for seat belts?

OP
OP
Krag

Krag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Awesome, thanks for the photo! Any issues drilling through the bed? What size holes? And what's your plan for seat belts?

Holes drilled no issues. Front outer corners are off angle so that nut inserts in the kit don't work, but everywhere else they are good, those front outer bolts just need to be full nut and bolt solutions all the way through the bed. The kit comes with the inserts and the bolts, so I don't remember what size they are.

For seat belts they will be attached to the cage and be over the shoulder. My goal is to make this as OEM looking as possible.

Sponsored

PapaChop83

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Holes drilled no issues. Front outer corners are off angle so that nut inserts in the kit don't work, but everywhere else they are good, those front outer bolts just need to be full nut and bolt solutions all the way through the bed. The kit comes with the inserts and the bolts, so I don't remember what size they are.

For seat belts they will be attached to the cage and be over the shoulder. My goal is to make this as OEM looking as possible.
Good deal! Was also thinking if you wanted to do a 5 point you could have someone fabricate a crossbar between the two Teraflex mounts.

OP
OP
Krag

Krag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Good deal! Was also thinking if you wanted to do a 5 point you could have someone fabricate a crossbar between the two Teraflex mounts.
When I had this setup on the JK, that is what I did and it was great.

In this build I wanted it to be more convenient when the kids climb in back there. Also I found that they seem less comfortable in a 5 point harness on the rocky stuff and do better if they can move around a little more. All that said, in my JK, I never changed from the 5 point harnesses, they were good for what i needed them to do.

PapaChop83

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When I had this setup on the JK, that is what I did and it was great.

In this build I wanted it to be more convenient when the kids climb in back there. Also I found that they seem less comfortable in a 5 point harness on the rocky stuff and do better if they can move around a little more. All that said, in my JK, I never changed from the 5 point harnesses, they were good for what i needed them to do.
That makes sense. I'm planning on only having the wife back there and her comfort is irrelevant. :CWL::LOL:

Thanks so much for all this, I'd spent hours researching this with no good answers - now I have them.

OP
OP
Krag

Krag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Ok, getting the easy stuff done. I have the 2" mopar lift with the Falcon 3.3 shocks installed. Also went with the Teraflex track bar, and a Falcon steering stabalizer. I am really impressed, the ride and drive is better than stock. I may go bigger in the future, but for now I'm trying to keep the center of gravity low.

20200213_171658.jpg

20200213_171718.jpg

20200213_171710.jpg

20200213_172522.jpg

20200213_171726.jpg

#HuckleberryJeep

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flowcode.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 5.7 Hemi, '21 JLUR 392, '84 CJ7, '69 CJ5
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Realtor

Sponsored

OP
OP
Krag

Krag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
OK, fresh new Falken 37" tires on the Black Rhino Armory wheels. Decided to stay with 17" rims and 37" tires because I did not want to have to rebuild teh axles and gearing. After driving this on the 37" tires, I definitely have to say, the transmission is a lot more comfortable, and shift points seem more like a regular vehicle in teh lower gears. I have only done a few freeway miles, but around town I think it feels great, and like it was designed for this setup and then was stuck with smaller tires just for gas mileage.

Also these wheels are not a real bead lock, and the ring isn't removable, but I love the wheels, fairly light, and tough, and the look is great. I may look to get a wheel with a rash ring in the future as well. Black Rhino was great to work with, and helped with getting the exact right wheels for the build and I am super happy with the look and feel of this setup.

#blackrhino #falkentires

20200228_152649.jpg

OP
OP
Krag

Krag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
I was able to get a metal bumper on. I went with an OEM JKUR Recon edition steel bumper. The mounting was identical to the JL bumper mount. I was able to used the wire harnes from the JT for the fog lights, and everything wired up easily. Fog light flicker sometimes, I still have not resolved why. All connections look clean, and are well connected.

I immediately took off the ends of the bumper, and dont plan on ever putting them on again. I really like the look of this bumper.

20200304_082143.jpg

OP
OP
Krag

Krag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
OK, Here is what I am doing. I was able to find a JLU 2018 Sahara that was wrecked in the front end, and the shop was able to cut the entire top 1/2 off and will be integrating that cage into the Gladiator with all teh matching trims and components, including the seat belts, lighting, and electrical. I will plan on upgrading the interior lighting, but for now will keep the OEM LED lights until the other big parts of the build are completed.

I did measure the flex of the cab vs the bed last week with a full load of lumbar in the bed, I did a flex test and measured total frame twist at 1/8" so I will be accounting for that when I build the roof seams and allow them to move like the freedom tops do at that seem where the rear and the front of the truck come together.

Parts on their way home.
upload_2020-4-14_14-20-20.png

Here is a photo in the garage after making a few initial cuts to remove the "B" pillars.
upload_2020-4-14_14-21-57.png

I will post details on what changes we are making to the cage to make it fit the truck. We will be doings some custom cut brackets and re welding a bit to make this fit perfectly.

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
Eagerly watching this progress. Very nice work. I've got a family of 8 so trying to figure out a way to get 3 seats in the rear. I'm assuming the JK seat you're using only seats 2 - or does it have a middle seat?

I'm leaning towards a separate cage over the bed with seating from Land Rover 110.

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Wagoneer / Spartan Build [7 Seater Gladiator] 1593203412512

So on the Gladiator it'd be like this, maybe with a custom twill soft top over it.

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Wagoneer / Spartan Build [7 Seater Gladiator] 1593203475782

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Wagoneer / Spartan Build [7 Seater Gladiator] 1593203634955

My biggest concern is how high the cage would have to be to provide decent head room. With the JK seat and the Sahara cage, how much do you think you'll have?

OP
OP
Krag

Krag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Eagerly watching this progress. Very nice work. I've got a family of 8 so trying to figure out a way to get 3 seats in the rear. I'm assuming the JK seat you're using only seats 2 - or does it have a middle seat?

I'm leaning towards a separate cage over the bed with seating from Land Rover 110.

So on the Gladiator it'd be like this, maybe with a custom twill soft top over it.

My biggest concern is how high the cage would have to be to provide decent head room. With the JK seat and the Sahara cage, how much do you think you'll have?

The room in the back is definitely tight on head room, but fine for kids. I kept the roll bar in line with teh original bar and it is 35" from bed to the bottom of the cage. The bottom of the roof is 42" from the bed.

If you are planning on putting adults back there, then it will need a taller cage like your drawing, or you could remove teh quick release bracket from the base of teh seat and place it on the bed to get an additional 3" or so of extra head room.

I ended up raising the rear roof and inch and a half just for a little more space, and I think it helps to reduce how long teh truck looks once teh back is on. I am still not done, teh events of teh last few months have slowed the build down a lot, but it will be making a lot of progress soon.

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Wagoneer / Spartan Build [7 Seater Gladiator] 20200424_173637

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Wagoneer / Spartan Build [7 Seater Gladiator] 1593289505107

Jeep Gladiator Jeep Wagoneer / Spartan Build [7 Seater Gladiator] 1593289584729

I also decided that by keeping teh individual panels removable it would be easier to deal with flex issues as well as going topless when we have good weather.
Jeep Gladiator Jeep Wagoneer / Spartan Build [7 Seater Gladiator] 1593289751678

Its a big mess but starting to see the end of the journey.
Sponsored