Krag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
@Miko,

For that extra 8th seat, maybe consider using the middle seat from a JLU and then making a permanent bracket to hold it in the back as well rather than the JL rear bench.

I also looked at using a Honda Odyssey middle row jump seat and replacing the middle console in the front so I could have 6 in the cabin with out making all these mods, but then I have #7 and had to go all out on this build.

Hope to see what you come up with.
Sponsored

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
...but then I have #7 and had to go all out on this build.
I hear ya - just when you have a plan life throws you a curve ball. I bought my Tundra years ago with a bench seat planning for a family of 6 but then on going for child #4 we got both #4 and #5. Never a dull moment. Pretty amazing that you can find the time to make your build in the midst of all the young family craziness.

So on your rear roof, will it overlap the factory hard top so it can slide and flex as needed? And are you going to cut out the back of the cab/front of the bed for a passenger pass through?

OP
OP
Krag

Krag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Yeah, never a dull moment.

The roof overlap, allows me to have a good flex seem, and I am going to make the side walls have a fairly thick hallow rubber gasket as well so that they can accommodate additional flex as well.

I did a flex test with a full load of lumbar in the bed and only had about a quarter inch of shift between the bed and the cab, so I am not too worried about the flex.

Veloruche

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport
The room in the back is definitely tight on head room, but fine for kids. I kept the roll bar in line with teh original bar and it is 35" from bed to the bottom of the cage. The bottom of the roof is 42" from the bed.

If you are planning on putting adults back there, then it will need a taller cage like your drawing, or you could remove teh quick release bracket from the base of teh seat and place it on the bed to get an additional 3" or so of extra head room.

I ended up raising the rear roof and inch and a half just for a little more space, and I think it helps to reduce how long teh truck looks once teh back is on. I am still not done, teh events of teh last few months have slowed the build down a lot, but it will be making a lot of progress soon.

20200424_173637.jpg

1593289505107.png

1593289584729.png

I also decided that by keeping teh individual panels removable it would be easier to deal with flex issues as well as going topless when we have good weather.
1593289751678.png

Its a big mess but starting to see the end of the journey.
Jeep should make a shell like this for the bed with a internal cage an factory option.

Sponsored

jrb517

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow - Bright White, 2008 BMW 328i e93
Occupation
Software
Following, nice rig!

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
How’s it going. Can you post progress pictures?

J.Noack

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Business Owner
This is absolutely fantastic to see. Going to be great!

Sponsored

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Yeah, never a dull moment.

The roof overlap, allows me to have a good flex seem, and I am going to make the side walls have a fairly thick hallow rubber gasket as well so that they can accommodate additional flex as well.

I did a flex test with a full load of lumbar in the bed and only had about a quarter inch of shift between the bed and the cab, so I am not too worried about the flex.
Still following U. You have done...GREAT! Hope U, your family and friends R Doing fine.

Markpod7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Any updates with this? Im guessing the wife dropped the hammer?

OP
OP
Krag

Krag

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Yes and No.. After the mega delay from Covid lockdown, We ended up remodeling the house and this project had to go after, so now it is in process again, almost wrapped up but need to do final body work on the roof still. We have had it out and on the trails and the added stiffness from teh extra roll cage is great. The roof panels allow just enough flex that nothing bad seems to be happening, and there are not any roof noises either. Also the Falcon 3.3 shocks combined with the Jeep Mopar 2" lift is a perfect all around combo, rides better than it did stock on road, and is super comfortable off road, definitely a combo I would recommend to everyone.
Jeep Gladiator Jeep Wagoneer / Spartan Build [7 Seater Gladiator] Copy of 20200717_102517 (1)
Sponsored