Jeep Wave for the first oil change?

ScooterInTX

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Based on what I am reading, it seems like it's a good, common practice to do your first change before 5k.
Anyone use one of the Jeep Wave changes for the first one?
Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
I'm sure some people have, but just do it yourself and avoid the risk of the least experienced guy at the dealership putting in the wrong amount of oil, stripping the drain plug or over-tightening the plastic oil filter housing cap.

5Q of 0W-20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is $24.97 and filters are $10.18 each at wallyworld dot com. Free shipping because it's just over $35 too.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
FYI, most dealerships use students from the local ASME mechanical school to do the oil changes.
These students are supposed to be supervised at all times by a Master Mechanic, they aren't.
I do my own oil changes. The "Free" oil changes are not worth the loss of an engine. Yes, happened to my wife's Oldsmobile. Six month old car, went for oil change, forgot to put in drain plug, started car and let run until engine seized.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Just find a good respected dealership and have them do it I mean it's free. Some have had bad experiences I'm sure but I'll bet the good experiences out weigh the bad or they wouldn't let dealerships do the oil changes anymore. I did my first one at 4,000 miles and then at the 10,000 mile mark after that. They say every 5,000 miles but I just go by the computer and it normally goes until around 7,000 miles before it gets to 15%. Each time the oil looked pretty clean though when they were Changing it, I'll bet you could go longer. FYI I have been letting hendricks do my oil changes for almost 16yrs and never had a issue. I bought their extended 6 oil change, tire rotation plan for $300, I used my first one of those recently. Look at the reviews online and ask around and find one you can trust. Seems crazy to leave money on the table when you got 4 free oil changes, just my 2 cents. My time is valuable though so some may have more time to waste on it.

Choatecav

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Based on what I am reading, it seems like it's a good, common practice to do your first change before 5k.
No, I did not use Jeep Wave for first change.
The first oil change is arguably the most important change and it should be done earlier than others and done correctly.
I changed it and the filter at 2,000 miles.
It was very easy to do and as stated by others, very inexpensive.

My plan is to use Jeep Wave for the second change.

Sponsored

foo.c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2021 Corvette
When it says it's time to change it, I'll use my free oil change. If Jeep is ok with that, I don't see the need to do anything special.

Bucephalus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Gladiator/ 20 AMG GLB 35/ 02 Ranger/ 06 BMW M3
Occupation
Laboratory and Medical Supplies
Change your own oil bro. I've worked on hundreds of cars over the years and the Gladiator is the easiest [and cleanest]oil change of them all. You have high clearance so you don't need a jack and the oil filter is on top of the engine bay.

As others have stated the dealer doesn't really care. When I work on a car I make sure no jewelry is hanging off my neck or wrists and make sure any sharp or blunt object is in my pocket. I don't want to scratch the paint while looking at the engine bay. I also don't want to spill oil anywhere..they don't care at t he dealer. They'll slam your doors, over torque your bolts etc.

It's a 10-minute job to change your oil. The hardest part is pouring the old oil into a receptacle and then taking it to the parts store or recycling center to dispose of it.

Higher_Ground

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Sport S
Is there a good youtube video or old fashioned diagram somewhere? I have never changed my oil before but if it's as easy as you say why waste time and money at the dealership.

Sponsored

steveorama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I usually change my own oil on my all of my vehicles. It's a 20 minute job from start to finish including all cleanup. With that said I haven't changed mine yet, I'm at 4,800 miles (41% oil life per the DIC) and was planning on doing the first at 5k miles. I could do it myself, but I was also planning on having the dealership do it the same time they did my rear axle leak since it's free. I wouldn't go out of my way to them for an oil change otherwise. Of course I'm still waiting on that now for over a month with still no word on when they will be able to schedule me. So I'll probably just do it myself this weekend. With everything easily accessed it looks to be the easiest oil change of my 3 current vehicles. I may even install a Fumoto drain valve while I'm at it for the next change. Those make doing it your self even easier.