Sponsored

Jeep Wrangler pickup (JT) - payload and towing capacity?

JTman

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
I posted this in the other thread yesterday but maybe it deserves own thread since payload and towing are important things when it comes to pickups.
Sponsored

GI Jimmy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma, Waiting on next Wrangler
Hell yea it's important. I need a truck, a REAL truck. I don't want a Wrangler that just looks like a truck.

That's why it needs to have 1500-2000 lb cargo capacity and 7000-8000 lb towing capacity.

Oh and I'm psyched to see it the prototype so far has a full cab with true back seats.

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
One thing's for sure - if FCA's goal is to attract new customers to the Wrangler model rather than just shifting Jeep customers from one Wrangler model to another, then the Wrangler pickup must have a much higher towing capacity than the JK Unlimited. That's the only way it'll attract new customers that are in the market for a real pickup truck.

The JKU's towing capacity is only 3500 pounds so I agree with @GI Jimmy that it needs to be at least double that.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
That's why it needs to have 1500-2000 lb cargo capacity and 7000-8000 lb towing capacity.
As nice as that would be I doubt it's even possible without MAJOR changes to the wranglers suspension and chassis. The wrangler is nowhere near the size of an F-150, which starts below the payload and tow capacity you're looking for, and barely tops out around there. I really don't think you can expect a 1ton pickup on a wrangler frame - they're just too small.

Given the payload and tow rating on the current model and comparable small pickups, I think we're more likely to get 5k towing and half-ton capacity at the high end.

Uptonogood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ
As nice as that would be I doubt it's even possible without MAJOR changes to the wranglers suspension and chassis. The wrangler is nowhere near the size of an F-150, which starts below the payload and tow capacity you're looking for, and barely tops out around there. I really don't think you can expect a 1ton pickup on a wrangler frame - they're just too small.

Given the payload and tow rating on the current model and comparable small pickups, I think we're more likely to get 5k towing and half-ton capacity at the high end.
Agreed... no way we see 8k lbs towing capacity on the JT wrangler. I think the car will target more of a lifestyle / recreational use than commercial use. I see it as more of a Tacoma level pickup and that's got 3500 lbs standard towing capacity with optional 6400 lbs tow package. I can see the Wrangler JT pickup splitting that difference with about 5k lbs towing capacity, which would already be an upgrade from the current JKU's towing capacity.

Sponsored

94grt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ Unlimited Rubicon
There's good reasons that the Wrangler doesn't have higher tow rating. You can't really have both great off road ability and high towing capacity. You need a flexible compliant suspension for off roading but a stiffer fixed suspension for high weight towing.

Also, the Wrangler tow rating has to take real off-roading use into account -- the weight being towed is magnified (and tow rating decreased) when dealing with extreme angles off-road.

Bewos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep wrangler, TJ 2014 Buick Regal GS, 2015 Chrysler 2
Good Evening Everyone,

I just wanted to chime in on this topic because I too am anxiously awaiting the JT(pickup) and I hope I'm not disappointed. Personally I'm hoping for a manual transmission with a diesel engine and minimal options (I know dreaming right). As much as it would be great to have a Wrangler that has a high towing capacity FCA is probably looking for the fine line of max towing without sacrificing off road ability (for reasons stated by previous posters).

Recently Mercedes announced they would be selling a truck but the MB rep said it well by stating something along the lines of " We are building a truck for Mercedes people not a Mercedes for Truck people". I imagine FCA operating within these guidelines since the wrangler defines jeep as brand they must make a Wrangler first and foremost.

Also FCA has been working hard at establishing brand identity with minimal overlap so think Dodge sporty high HP vehicles, Chrysler family cars, RAM trucks, Jeep off road capable SUVs. This is one reason that they stopped the namesake dodge caravan and would rather you go to the RAM lineup if you need a true truck.

With all that said, the small / midsize truck market is about to explode with the new Honda Ridgeline, the Ford Ranger coming back etc. AND The trucks already in the segment, Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon in certain configurations can tow 7000 lbs. It will be hard to tell what the Jeep will be capable of until we know the exact wheel base and overall dimensions but with a little luck hopefully will see a the JT as a real contender because there is money to be made if FCA designs it correctly.

A little long winded for my first post but I'm passionate about jeeps so please forgive me !

Nmp212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 RAM 1500
There is no question they will not want to step on RAM toes but the JT must have a higher towing capacity than the JKU if it is the appeal to new customers instead of reshuffling Wrangler buyers.

The JT will almost certainly be based on a modified RAM chassis so it will have a much higher tow rating than the JK/JL. It goes without saying the Wrangler's current 3,500 lbs towing will not sell on a truck.

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
There is no question they will not want to step on RAM toes but the JT must have a higher towing capacity than the JKU if it is the appeal to new customers instead of reshuffling Wrangler buyers.

The JT will almost certainly be based on a modified RAM chassis so it will have a much higher tow rating than the JK/JL. It goes without saying the Wrangler's current 3,500 lbs towing will not sell on a truck.
That's the first I've read about the Wrangler pickup being based on a RAM chassis. If that's really true then I'm hopeful for a significantly higher max towing than the JK. Even the RAM 1500 has a 10,000 lbs max towing. PLENTY of space between 3500 lbs and 10,000 lbs towing capacity for the JT to land without stepping on any RAM models.

Sponsored

F1Mark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ
Yea the tow capacity on the Ecodiesel GC has me hopeful the JT truck will be higher than some are expecting. They have said it will be a legit truck not just a Wrangler with a flat bed.

My question is will the JT have the diesel option available at the outset in the first model year or will we have to wait for it to be offered across the line up (if those do not coincide)? I've seen conflicting things on timing.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I have heard the JL will be out end of 2017 with JT following end of 2018 .... part me me doesnt want that as I would like the JT to come out this coming year, but another part of me wouldn't mind as it would give the ma year to work out the bugs on the JL that might make their way into the JT.

Bewos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep wrangler, TJ 2014 Buick Regal GS, 2015 Chrysler 2
From the original FCA announcement the diesel engine wont be available until around 2020. lets hope they move that timeline up but here is the reference this forum has posted: http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...clude-gasoline-diesel-mild-hybrid-full-hybrid

As far as the post regarding FCA using a RAM frame for the Jeep Truck IMO I, would think that they would just extend the unlimited frame probably with the help of AEV. they have the most experience making amazing jeep trucks , Brute, Brute extended cab and from what I remember jeep licensed the JK-8 conversion from them. This option would allow the front panels to be identical but I guess we will know soon enough.

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
From what I'm reading it sounds like how high the tow capacity is will depend in large part on whether the JT is built on the RAM platform or JL platform? Would that decision affect its price too?

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I would be willing to bet there is no way it will be built on the Ram platform. It will 100% be built on the JL platform as one they will not want to eat into Ram sales and two its suppose to be a midsize pick up like the Ford Ranger, Toyota Tacoma, and Chevy/GMC Colorado/Canyon
Sponsored