Sponsored

Jeep YJ (1993). 4 Cyl/5-Spd. Has anyone seen this? Does this sound like a Transfer Case Chain? Does the entire Transfer Case need to be rebuilt?

YO_Doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94YJ..... '21 JTR!
Are you in gear when that video was made?
Something is not right, but need more context than the video offers.

OP
OP

David New

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
IT
Are you in gear when that video was made?
Something is not right, but need more context than the video offers.

Doesn't matter. Shortly after starting - while still at idle - the rattling starts...and that is true whether the TC is in 4H, 2H, N or 4L. I can shift the TC between 4H, 2H, N or 4L as well, but doing so doesn't impact the rattle. Same for the Transmission. Either in N or in Gear (always, however, with the clutch engaged). I haven't driven it in this condition other than to pull onto the lift.

JustinLentz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Mojave RIP: 20JT 09jk, 03jgc, 97tj, 95yj, 73cj
Occupation
Operations Coordinator
With the amount of ATF thats showing on the outside of the T-Case, I would venture to say your T-Case is out and what you are hearing is the gears moving without fluid. Have you checked your fluid or changed it recently?

OP
OP

David New

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
IT
With the amount of ATF thats showing on the outside of the T-Case, I would venture to say your T-Case is out and what you are hearing is the gears moving without fluid. Have you checked your fluid or changed it recently?
That is actually what I thought, so I changed it before posting here. It was about 1/2 Qt low when I drained it, but it is now full. No change, however, in the rattling.

Bottom line, I am just trying to figure out next steps. Right now, I am assuming the chain is loose and plan to open it up over the weekend and check. However, if everyone agrees it is a bigger problem, then I may just order a rebuild and plan on a straight swap.

Sponsored

JustinLentz

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Mojave RIP: 20JT 09jk, 03jgc, 97tj, 95yj, 73cj
Occupation
Operations Coordinator
That's the NP231 if I remember right? I've seen some listed on Facebook marketplace a few times. Before you tear into it, maybe check for a used one that is working first. May save you a lot of work. If def does not sound like it should and does need something repaired for sure.

That is actually what I thought, so I changed it before posting here. It was about 1/2 Qt low when I drained it, but it is now full. No change, however, in the rattling.

Bottom line, I am just trying to figure out next steps. Right now, I am assuming the chain is loose and plan to open it up over the weekend and check. However, if everyone agrees it is a bigger problem, then I may just order a rebuild and plan on a straight swap.

OP
OP

David New

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
IT
That's the NP231 if I remember right? I've seen some listed on Facebook marketplace a few times. Before you tear into it, maybe check for a used one that is working first. May save you a lot of work. If def does not sound like it should and does need something repaired for sure.
The transfer case is original and the part number stamped on the tag is a 231J.

Chance575

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
Occupation
D
Sound more like transmissin to me. That transfer case has very few parts in it, it has been about 15 years since I took one apart and rebuilt it during a slip yoke elimitator kit on my XJ

OP
OP

David New

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
IT
Sound more like transmissin to me. That transfer case has very few parts in it, it has been about 15 years since I took one apart and rebuilt it during a slip yoke elimitator kit on my XJ
I actually thought that originally as well. However, I used a stethoscope to determine where the noise was coming from. Definitely from the TC.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Gosh that brings back memories. That engine was 123 horsepower and so with 33" tires on my old YJ it wouldn't even pull hills in 4th gear. Miserable.

Anyway, those chains are very bad about stretching and then you get the noise like that. If it goes too long then obviously it can start eating up teeth as well so when you open it up you may find metal shavings or chunks. Typically you can rebuilt those but finding a replacement from a salvage yard to swap in is easier and faster.

OP
OP

David New

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
IT
Gosh that brings back memories. That engine was 123 horsepower and so with 33" tires on my old YJ it wouldn't even pull hills in 4th gear. Miserable.

Anyway, those chains are very bad about stretching and then you get the noise like that. If it goes too long then obviously it can start eating up teeth as well so when you open it up you may find metal shavings or chunks. Typically you can rebuilt those but finding a replacement from a salvage yard to swap in is easier and faster.
Yeah, the chain is sort of where my head was. I plan to open it up Saturday to take a look. If it is the chain, I will replace it. If it is more, I will start shopping used/rebuilt TCs.

Thanks for the feedback.

DankjeeP

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR, '98 XJ, '17 FLHXS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
HW Engineer
Took my XJ one apart also. did a Tera Low swap. Nothing to it really. Easier on the bench though.

OP
OP

David New

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
IT
Alas, I have figured it out. It was the shift range fork pads. One had worn through and broken off and the range fork was clanging against the clutch sleeve. Pretty easy fix, just had to tear things apart to find it.
Sponsored