First Name
Rockland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2020 BMW Z4 M40i, 2019 Honda Foreman Rubicon
Occupation
retired engineer
I bought a new JT Rubicon yesterday after selling my 2014 JK Wrangler to a NC dealer. I spent last night reading the owners manual.

On page 362 of the JT manual it states the 3.6 oil capacity is 5 quarts with filter.

On page 627 of the JK manual it states the 3.6 oil capacity is 6 quarts with filter.

Is there an error in the JT manual?

I can not understand why they would decrease the engine oil capacity for the 3.6.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

Reeb65

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
On my first oil change it took 6.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I bought a new JT Rubicon yesterday after selling my 2014 JK Wrangler to a NC dealer. I spent last night reading the owners manual.

On page 362 of the JT manual it states the 3.6 oil capacity is 5 quarts with filter.

On page 627 of the JK manual it states the 3.6 oil capacity is 6 quarts with filter.

Is there an error in the JT manual?

I can not understand why they would decrease the engine oil capacity for the 3.6.

Any ideas?
I changed my oil and oil filter 3 times already in my Gladiator Rubicon. All three times it took a 5 quart jug of pennzoil ultra platinum 0w-20 and the stock Mopar filter. The dip stick shows full every time with 5 quarts and the new Mopar oil filter. After 3K miles, the oil level barely moves, maybe 1/8 of a quart.

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Oil cooler I think?

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I'm about to have mine changed at the dealership and they told me it was 5 quarts of oil. I thought that was weird as well but it states it in the manual also so no reason for me to question them.

OP
OP
KI9H

KI9H

First Name
Rockland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired engineer
Okay, thanks to all.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Just keep in mind that quite a few dealership service departments still have lube techs overfilling the JL/JT's by putting in 6 quarts. So if you drop off your JT for service, make sure you remind them 5 quarts. Also, check before you leave regardless.

First Jeep Wave service and they got me for 6 quarts that I had to have one quart drain. 2nd dealer got it right.

atxatxatx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WK2Grand Cherokee,Gladiator Mojave
Good info here to confirm the 5 QTS, tks

Is the oil filter still the MO-349 (68191349 AB-001) one, same as the JK ?

OP
OP
KI9H

KI9H

First Name
Rockland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired engineer
so I did my first oil change myself at 5600 miles last saturday

it took 5 quarts with filter

much easier than the '14 JK because the JT is higher and longer

more room to work, not crammed tight with crossovers and other stuff

very nice unit

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Just curious, do you plan to use the free Wave changes in the future? I've never before in my life taken a vehicle to the dealer for an oil change, but I wanted to start making acquaintances in case something happens in the future. Free is good, too. The dealer I use for service isn't the one I purchased from, but they ARE a mile from my office.

so I did my first oil change myself at 5600 miles last saturday

it took 5 quarts with filter

much easier than the '14 JK because the JT is higher and longer

more room to work, not crammed tight with crossovers and other stuff

very nice unit

OP
OP
KI9H

KI9H

First Name
Rockland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
retired engineer
I know free is tempting, but I don't trust others to perform the work I can do myself. I have performed my own routine maintenance on every jeep I have owned since 1963.

The oil filter torque spec on this engine is critical. I doubt most dealer techs adhere to the spec.

I own a relatively large piece of property ( a couple of sections) in Florida that requires 4x4 all seasons. My '14 JK was sold at 96k miles and at least 50% of those miles were in 4x4.

Doing my own oil changes allows me to assess most potential issues and be preemptive in the fix to keep me for walking back home through the swamps.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
I know free is tempting, but I don't trust others to perform the work I can do myself. I have performed my own routine maintenance on every jeep I have owned since 1963.

The oil filter torque spec on this engine is critical. I doubt most dealer techs adhere to the spec.

I own a relatively large piece of property ( a couple of sections) in Florida that requires 4x4 all seasons. My '14 JK was sold at 96k miles and at least 50% of those miles were in 4x4.

Doing my own oil changes allows me to assess most potential issues and be preemptive in the fix to keep me for walking back home through the swamps.
I'd go in and ask them if I could just have the oil and filter then. Tell them they can claim it on a warranty ticket. If they're on bulk oil you might have to bring your own container. They may or may not do it but it never hurts to ask.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
No dealer is going to give you the supplies to do your own oil change and mark on a ticket that they performed the service. Ever.

All it takes some jackass draining their oil and seizing their motor only to blame it on the dealer.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I'd go in and ask them if I could just have the oil and filter then. Tell them they can claim it on a warranty ticket. If they're on bulk oil you might have to bring your own container. They may or may not do it but it never hurts to ask.

Show up at the dealer with a container asking them to dispense 5 quarts of oil from their bulk supply ? After buying a $50k truck ?

Honestly you have to be kidding ... Oil and a filter is about $40 ...

If you dont want to have the dealer do it, by all means do it your self ... But I cant imagine dong this ...
Sponsored