Sponsored

Greg H

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
You can the 3.6 but need to leave the jumper cables connected for a few minutes to charge both batteries some before trying to start it. I'm not sure on the 2.0, but I don't think so. I believe it uses the 48v battery for starting. If it does you wouldn't be able to jump start it like a 12v system.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I've read that such devices may not provide adequate current for the JL because jumping it with them is first, as described above, about reaching a minimum charge in both batteries before cranking can be attempted, much less succeed.

But couldn't both this wait time AND the inability of such devices to adequately jump the JL be addressed (maybe this is more academic than practical as there are other techniques) by disconnecting the leads to the main battery, and connecting the original poster's "powerbank" to these leads?

I ask because wouldn't the above charge only the smaller battery: faster than charging both, and give it enough current to power the start relay connected to it, to signal the engine starter to fire?

I've got this right, while the engine starter is connected to the main (and here disconnected/dead) main battery, it's backed up by the ESS battery---e.g. people being able to start their JLs with the ESS battery only. The ESS battery could devote its power in this example to the engine crank rather than split it with also charging the main battery(??)

Once the JL's turned over, the "powerbank" could be packed up, and the battery terminals reconnect to the main battery for the alternator to charge both batteries(??)

Please correct this if wrong: I want to spread fact and understand. : - )

OP
OP
allieboy

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
  • Banned
I've read that such devices may not provide adequate current for the JL because jumping it with them is first, as described above, about reaching a minimum charge in both batteries before cranking can be attempted, much less succeed.

But couldn't both this wait time AND the inability of such devices to adequately jump the JL be addressed (maybe this is more academic than practical as there are other techniques) by disconnecting the leads to the main battery, and connecting the original poster's "powerbank" to these leads?

I ask because wouldn't the above charge only the smaller battery: faster than charging both, and give it enough current to power the start relay connected to it, to signal the engine starter to fire?

I've got this right, while the engine starter is connected to the main (and here disconnected/dead) main battery, it's backed up by the ESS battery---e.g. people being able to start their JLs with the ESS battery only. The ESS battery could devote its power in this example to the engine crank rather than split it with also charging the main battery(??)

Once the JL's turned over, the "powerbank" could be packed up, and the battery terminals reconnect to the main battery for the alternator to charge both batteries(??)

Please correct this if wrong: I want to spread fact and understand. : - )
Owners manual says you can jump it like any other system. Cables, portable, etc. Hearing horror stories about jeeps not starting

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Owners manual says you can jump it like any other system. Cables, portable, etc. Hearing horror stories about jeeps not starting
Yes and no. The manual suggests a waiting period between cable hook up and crank, I guess for the charging discussed above. This differs from other vehicles and may help explain why powerpacks designed more for high power for short durations prove inadequate here(??)

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
There are probably 5 or more forum threads that address what one will will face when trying to jump start a JL.

A forum search will bring up the threads if anyone wants to learn more in regard to this.

OP
OP
allieboy

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
  • Banned
There are probably 5 or more forum threads that address what one will will face when trying to jump start a JL.

A forum search will bring up the threads if anyone wants to learn more in regard to this.
Thanks in advance for searching for us!

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I can tell you that my JL would not jump start with a known good jump pack. I had to use jumper cables.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
allieboy

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Anyone have any experience with batteryless chargers like Autowit?

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
@allieboy

Why should I search for YOU ? Takes seconds for you, the OP, to search for yourself.
I like this post...I'll tell you why.

I did try doing my research before I came here, concluded that isolating the ESS battery might work, and then, when doing a forum search again, only this time using @Rhinebeck01 as the author, only then did I find a prior post where he suggested the ESS battery isolation I asked about above might work https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...y-any-jumpstart-tips.12316/page-2#post-300014 even if his scenario dealt with a dead ESS battery only and accessed it through the Power Distribution Center if not battery leads removed from the main battery.

~~~~~~
Sponsored