JL Rubicon Rooftop Damage

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
So I had my 16 yo son help me remove my 2 day old Rubicon Rooftop and was a little to heavy for him so he rested his side on a table but while he was resting, the rear window flipped open, fell to a chair and cracked the bottom right fiberglass/cardboard! Scratched the bottom glass and black parts too...

Anyone know who/where I can get this fixed in Southern California? My Rubi is 2 fricken days old and I'm trying to control my anger!!!!

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Sponsored

RNJeeper

First Name
Brooke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU white Sport S
Occupation
RN
There was a couple people who damaged their hard tops quickly too. Not sure if they were able to get them fixed but here is one thread:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/black-freedom-top-repair-or-replace.6307/#post-131310

Would definitely recommend this though:

https://www.topliftpros.com/

I’ve been taking my hardtop off every Thursday/Friday for the past 3 weeks by myself and putting it back on every Sunday with no issues. Definitely worth it in my opinion despite the price.

OP
OP
rnocon

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you! I'm going to buy one of those lifts!

In the meantime, I'm gonna suffer through this...

Sponsored

OP
OP
rnocon

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This
And a good opportunity to be an example for your son to not get upset over material things. Shit happens. Be grateful he can and does help you. Bonus he is learning about Jeeps!
Yes, true...just tough to swallow after waiting 8 weeks!!!

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
So I had my 16 yo son help me remove my 2 day old Rubicon Rooftop and was a little to heavy for him so he rested his side on a table but while he was resting, the rear window flipped open, fell to a chair and cracked the bottom right fiberglass/cardboard! Scratched the bottom glass and black parts too...

Anyone know who/where I can get this fixed in Southern California? My Rubi is 2 fricken days old and I'm trying to control my anger!!!!

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Sounds like the hard top is poorly constructed. The JKU hard top can rest on its edges for years without issues. The JL weight loss had to compromise something. If your kid didn't do it, it might have happened on a rough trail. Your anger should be directed towards Jeep instead.

OP
OP
rnocon

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like the hard top is poorly constructed. The JKU hard top can rest on its edges for years without issues. The JL weight loss had to compromise something. If your kid didn't do it, it might have happened on a rough trail. Your anger should be directed towards Jeep instead.
Thanks Rock, yeah I was surprised to see it so flimsy...was expecting a little more durability from a 60k Jeep but looks like an expensive lesson learned...gonna explore those different lifts...and yeah it's just my money but does delay the other things I was gonna do to her!

20180428_162109.jpg

20180428_162101.jpg

20180428_162105.jpg

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Yes, true...just tough to swallow after waiting 8 weeks!!!
Oh for sure man. Didn’t mean to downplay the damage. It suuuuucks. I just read from your original post you were looking for advice on how to fix the top and your being upset. All in all from your pics it doesn’t look too bad thankfully. Best of luck

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Look, it stinks, but it's not life.

If it's any consolation Richard, when I look at the parts for the JK, the hardtop is broken down into so many subcomponents....so too I imagine will be the case for the JL as it matures.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Would definitely recommend this though:

https://www.topliftpros.com/
Wow, this is great. I can probably build something similar with a shelf for a small hydraulic jack to lift the top.

These surfer girls make it seem so easy!

And then there’s this guy trying to do it by himself.

And this guy by himself sets it down right on the rear glass. Ouch!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
It's not hard for two, its cumbersome, clumsy, big.

While I had my top up on the Freedom Jack I mentioned abive I tried to see if I could shoulder press its 100 pounds just a bit..

for me...no way. ....and there's the leg strength near the ground too....these guys doing the solo lift make it look easy....and all these videos are for the slightly heavier (120 lbs) JK 4 door hard top.

you can bet the ladies practiced for that video

OP
OP
rnocon

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Guys... appreciate all the input, helps to vent to others who can relate and appreciate the love for the Jeep! Also, I do appreciate all the advice and input...

SpyDJeep

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"18 JLUR Punk'n, '11 JKU Mango tango, '17 JKU Granite crystal, 98 XJ plow jeep
Vehicle Showcase
I feel your pain. My '11 wrangler hard top was damaged the year i bought it by removing it with my (then) 13 yr old son. that damage is still there today, dont even notice it anymore, when i do see it I actually smile a little lol. I look out on my driveway now and i see 2 TJ's, both my sons have grown up and bought their very own wranglers and I was lucky enough to help them remove the hard tops :clap:. Time heals all. Cheers!

OP
OP
rnocon

rnocon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow Spy,,, that actually helps me! Thanks for sharing...I suppose it's part of her story and history now.

Never thought of it that way but this forum really helps me get through the pain...

Unbelievable!
Sponsored