Sponsored

JLU; Rhino-Rack backbone vs. Maximus

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Greetings Group,
I am sure this has been beat to death somewhere. I'm not finding a direct debate on comparison of these two systems.
I like the Pioneer platform these two systems utilize. It appears the Backbone system is more robust with six mounting points versus the four of the Maximus system. Install of the Backbone seems to be a little easier, not requiring sound bar removal. Removing the hard-top which I do nearly every weekend seems a lot easier with the Back bone system.
Who is running the Maximus system and the Backbone system? How are you removing those front connection points on the Maximus system? Looks a little tricky to get tools in there. With my Racor lift I can do a top removal/install in less than 10 minutes.
Thanks for your input...
Sponsored

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
I have the Maximus-3 Platform and couldn't say more great things about it. I estimate that it adds another 10 min to the top removal process, but I also have 2 more bolts to remove because I have the side ladder. And your assumption is actually incorrect, the backbone has a 264 lb dynamic load rating, and the maximus-3 rack has 300lb. Both make the hard top harder to remove because the extra weight, but it is not impossible. Either way, if you use a power tool vs a hand wrench, it goes very fast.

OP
OP

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I have the Maximus-3 Brackets installed with the large Pioneer platform, I am happy with it. Very sturdy and low profile. I also run the sport bar interior Stealth Hi-Lift Jack mount from Dominion Offroad. The jack mount and the Maximus brackets can be bolted together and make both systems way more rigid, Neither system really needed more rigidity but when bolted together they are rock solid.
This may help someone down the road if they choose to go with a Maximus system; Might just be me being lazy or easily frustrated, but I had a really hard time getting at the front bolts of the Maximus brackets to take my top off. It was tedious. I take my top off nearly every weekend. So I got a Tite-Reach tool and problem solved. I can remove both sides in under a minute.

IMG_0746.jpg

Bluebear

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
I have the Maximus-3 Brackets installed with the large Pioneer platform, I am happy with it. Very sturdy and low profile. I also run the sport bar interior Stealth Hi-Lift Jack mount from Dominion Offroad. The jack mount and the Maximus brackets can be bolted together and make both systems way more rigid, Neither system really needed more rigidity but when bolted together they are rock solid.
Do you have pictures of the Maximus-3 brackets and the Stealth Hi-Lift Jack mount? I was interested in that but told they can’t both be installed at one time.

On the rack itself I went with Maximus-3 as the brackets were shorter so it seemed the brackets could resist sideways forces better than the backbone system. Also seemed stronger having the weight going directly to the sports bar vs the thinner metal where the hard top bolts.

OP
OP

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Do you have pictures of the Maximus-3 brackets and the Stealth Hi-Lift Jack mount? I was interested in that but told they can’t both be installed at one time.

On the rack itself I went with Maximus-3 as the brackets were shorter so it seemed the brackets could resist sideways forces better than the backbone system. Also seemed stronger having the weight going directly to the sports bar vs the thinner metal where the hard top bolts.
View attachment 252435

View attachment 252436

View attachment 252437

img1.jpeg

img2.jpeg

img3.jpeg

img4.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

Bluebear

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
Sorry for the wonkie pictures. Sent from my phone.
I’ll add a few more important comments later after work.
Awesome! The pictures make sense. I may need to order my own now!

OP
OP

Rustydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I fixed the photos and added one more. I had to cut a couple inches off jack so that it could fit in between the Maximus Brackets. I've since added a bolt clamping them together like on the other side.
On the base end of the system, where the base of the jack is; I re-purposed the nut and bolt from the jack mount. I drilled a hole in the Maximus bracket and pressed the bolt in. So the bolt is dual purpose, it holds the jack and clamps the two brackets together. The other bolt I added that is not pictured here is in the exact same spot on the passenger side.

Sponsored

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

jeepfreak

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

jeepfreak

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Also, I'm thinking about the short Pioneer platform (60x54), but I'm not sure how far apart the brackets are with the Backbone system. Can anyone help with that?