Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone! I'm new to the Jeep world, and just recently made the jump into Jeep ownership. I have a number of friends that have been trying to get me into it for almost 3 years now, and although I have always loved Jeeps, wanted to drive my old Subaru until it died. Well...that was the idea until I went off-roading with a few guys up in PA earlier this year! My time line shrunk drastically, and the next thing I knew, I was building Jeeps, trying all sorts of different options out, and working over the wife to get the green light to make it happen.

The beginning of June I went to the dealer on order to figure out what the process was like to get a Jeep built, and the next thing I knew, I was placing an order! About 3 weeks ago I received a call saying that my JT was in, and I have been a proud owner ever since. I have never had a vehicle that I loved to drive, but man, this is it. I smile every time I get in it, and look forward to hitting the road every day.

Jeep Gladiator Journey of a Jeep build, MD 20210729_151643

- Black JTR Diesel
- LED light package
- Tow package (for the cooling, mostly)
- Aux group
- Color match fenders and hard top

So right away I started thinking about all the things I wanted to do with this Jeep...and quickly figured out this is going to be a slow, arduous process... but one I can certainly enjoy. So far, nothing major has been done...I installed a ArmorLite floor in the back seat area, but that is it. One of those friends I mentioned earlier got a whole set cheap, but the rear was for a JT and wouldn't fit his Wrangler, so I was fortunate it enough to get it for free.99. If I was to buy this myself, I would have gone with black, but the tan brightens up the inside, and isn't too awful to look at. I definitely see myself getting matching fronts in the near future. All in all, install was about 1.5 - 2 hours, with nothing but a 10mm and a flathead.
Jeep Gladiator Journey of a Jeep build, MD 20210729_151703

Jeep Gladiator Journey of a Jeep build, MD 20210729_151714

In order to keep myself from drowning in all of the after market awesomeness that is Jeep, I decided I need to focus on one thing at a time. I have been spending a lot of time looking at bumpers, and will be back soon to put down on paper here (so to say), what I am thinking about. Then winches, armor, wheels, lifts, racks, lights, tint, no no no, one thing at a time...just bumpers for now :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

jay21mojave

First Name
J. T.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Gladiator 2013 JKU Sport '09 Patriot
Occupation
Sales Acct Mgr - OEM Wholesale DLR Group
Hi from SE Pa. You were very fortunate to get it in 3 weeks.. AND.. you are approaching the "MODs" correctly .. define how you will use, research, ask on the forum about what you are considering.. YEP - many go for the tires and a lift right at the start; so defining how you will be wheeling is very important.. Most important .. Enjoy the Trip with your JEEP .. MODDING is very rewarding & $$ at the same time.

OP
OP
AjMac

AjMac

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hi from SE Pa. You were very fortunate to get it in 3 weeks.. AND.. you are approaching the "MODs" correctly .. define how you will use, research, ask on the forum about what you are considering.. YEP - many go for the tires and a lift right at the start; so defining how you will be wheeling is very important.. Most important .. Enjoy the Trip with your JEEP .. MODDING is very rewarding & $$ at the same time.
Thanks! I felt very fortunate...the dealer told me it could take 2 weeks, or 12, so Im glad it was on the faster end.

The group I'm in with right now are big into the heavy rock crawling, but just tame enough to keep their rigs street legal. I'm all about going over some rocks, but I see me using my jeep for the beach, and camping when Im not out with them. Because of that, tires and lift will come for sure, but like you said, I don't need to be breaking the bank right off the bat. And I want to make sure Im learning as much as I can before I start making these huge purchases.

Ill be back later tonight or tomorrow to share what Im thinking about for bumpers, and maybe Ill get some feedback on that!

OP
OP
AjMac

AjMac

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So the first thing I am focusing on, keeping the one thing at a time mentality intact, is the front bumper. There are so many options out there, I have been pouring over all sorts of manufacturers...MetalCloak, Ace, JCR, Poison Spyder, Warn, and the list goes on and on. I wanted 3 things; A recessed winch, the ability to keep my stock fog lights, and a stubby.

First, I recalled a company I was looking at back when I had a Nissan, and that is Shrockworks. That didnt last long though, as I reached out to them on FB, email, and even called with no replies back. A quick search showed me that this is common and they are total trash with customer service. Scratch that, out the window.

Then, I was into the Ace stubby. It looks great, and had everything I was looking for. But, again, looking into this I came across something I was absolutely not interested in...and that is modifying my frame. Everything I saw showed that the JT frame needed cutting in order to make it fit. Boom...another option gone.

So that leads me to now. There are 3 bumpers I am looking at:

CavFab Predator; Comes in raw, so price will bump up so I can get it powder coated. This comes with a sacrifice, because of the inability to keep my stock fog lights. Big fan of the looks.

Jeep Gladiator Journey of a Jeep build, MD Cavfab

Then Motobilt Crusher....again, comes in raw, has a built in skid, and doesnt look awful. But here is that sacrifice of no stock fog lights again.

Jeep Gladiator Journey of a Jeep build, MD Motobilt

And number 3 is the LOD signature series stubby. This has no sacrifices, people seem to love it, but is the most expensive. And looks-wise....is great, although not my top choice cosmetically.

Jeep Gladiator Journey of a Jeep build, MD LoD-Signature-Shorty-Front-Bumper-front_0

So...that's where I am at. Im preparing to order one this upcoming month....but would love some input if anyone has experience with these.

Sponsored

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2020 JLU
What about the stock steel fender?

OP
OP
AjMac

AjMac

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What about the stock steel fender?
I'm not opposed to it, but I built mine with a plastic one fully expecting to switch it out. Also expensive compared to a lot of others, but I wouldnt exclude one from the running if it came at a lower price.

Mostly though, if im buying one anyway, I'd like something a little more unique preferably.

OP
OP
AjMac

AjMac

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
A new player enters the game; The Genright Stubby. Everything I keep reading sings high praise about Aluminum bumpers, and my bumper dilemma has brought it down to either the Cavfab, or this:
Jeep Gladiator Journey of a Jeep build, MD genrightskid

Lighter, no rusting...just not as strong as steel. This can be remedied my a rash guard though, so...? Anyone have experience with aluminum bumpers?

Well....I have another pay period to decide, so maybe Ill figure out which one I want before then lol.

OP
OP
AjMac

AjMac

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone, happy Thursday..

I decided to take the day off work today to take the Jeep down to the Line-X spot and get the bed taken care of. I set the appointment a few weeks ago, and paid in advance in order to get the free upgrade to the UV protection/premium spray. Here is a little before and after:

Jeep Gladiator Journey of a Jeep build, MD 20210805_082254

Jeep Gladiator Journey of a Jeep build, MD 20210805_134823

Overall, I am pretty pleased. It took about 4 hours, and the manager there gave me a call when they were all done. A little tape was left on in non-obvious spots...nbd. No other issues that I have seen so far, and if anything pops up, they have a lifetime warranty.

So now, its just sitting in the driveway setting, check in the box!

Sarge502

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone, happy Thursday..

I decided to take the day off work today to take the Jeep down to the Line-X spot and get the bed taken care of. I set the appointment a few weeks ago, and paid in advance in order to get the free upgrade to the UV protection/premium spray. Here is a little before and after:

Overall, I am pretty pleased. It took about 4 hours, and the manager there gave me a call when they were all done. A little tape was left on in non-obvious spots...nbd. No other issues that I have seen so far, and if anything pops up, they have a lifetime warranty.

So now, its just sitting in the driveway setting, check in the box!
Looks great. I’m literally waiting for the call on mine. Hoping this week or next. Been on my locals waiting list for almost a month now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AjMac

AjMac

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great. I’m literally waiting for the call on mine. Hoping this week or next. Been on my locals waiting list for almost a month now.
Awesome! I was surprised it took so long to set something up, but they told me they were having supply issues.

I hope you get the call soon!

OP
OP
AjMac

AjMac

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing crazy, posting a little update on the Line-X:

I noticed at the end of the day I had some bubbling...I dont know what is considered substantial, but I had ~ 2 dozen small quarter sized bubbles, a few slightly larger, and one fist sized bubble...and the way I look at it is, if I'm spending money on something, I want the result to be what I paid for.

I called Line-X and they were great. Bubbling is part of the lifetime warranty, and I got an appointment scheduled for the following week (today) to bring it in.

FYSA, they attributed the bubbling to the humidity at the time at application, which in Maryland, is hard to get away from this time of year.

Anyway, the JT was in and out in about 2 1/2 hours, and they cleaned up a little overspray from the initial install as well. Even though this may seem like a ding on Line-X, they were really fantastic with correcting the issue and keeping to the level of quality they want associated with their product.

OP
OP
AjMac

AjMac

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Found some stupid affordable Patagonia 37's, lightly used. I already know I'd like to get some Fuel Shoks to run them on, and from everything I have seen, they will fit just fine for road use until I get my lift.

Jeep Gladiator Journey of a Jeep build, MD 20210908_151809

Jeep Gladiator Journey of a Jeep build, MD 20210908_151927

Oh, I also have my Armorlite fronts coming in the mail, so some pictures to follow with that.

OP
OP
AjMac

AjMac

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Armorlite showed up QUICK!

Probably a week between ordering and arriving...I went ahead and took care of the install this morning. Took about 2 hrs, which Armorlite says to plan for, so that want too bad. I probably could have saved 30 minutes if I was more familiar with the electrical block in the front sills. It isnt enough to just unplug the door from the rest of the Jeep, you need to remove the rest of the housing in order to get to the light grey nut (below). That light grey nut needs to be removed before you can fully take off the sill.

Jeep Gladiator Journey of a Jeep build, MD 20210911_111827

So I eventually broke off the block, but it all worked out, because it just sits nicely inside the sill when you re-install it.

And below is the final product:
Jeep Gladiator Journey of a Jeep build, MD 20210911_124559

Jeep Gladiator Journey of a Jeep build, MD 20210911_124523

I could have used this a couple weeks ago up in AOAA, but I got it now! I like the contrast from the tan, and might be considering some tan or brown seat covers in the future.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I'm looking at ordering a JTRD as well.

Where in MD are you located?
Sponsored